Pope encouraged us to fast during Lent

The Holy Father encouraged us to “rediscover fasting” this Lent. What does he mean by this? Does he mean we should fast all 40 days?

Maybe bread and water on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Or Fridays?

Or lentils?

I don’t remember the source but I know there are some traditional fasts, particularly ones that Mary asked us to do. :o :confused: :shrug:

The Pope knows that there is less attention given to observing Lent by many Catholics. He’s just reminding us of the Church’s precepts to do penance during Lent.

Another way to Fast… is to limit your food to CERTAIN foods.

For example… at breakfast, have only a piece of fruit and some cereal or toast.

Lunch… a salad… or cup of soup…

Dinner… a simple meat (unless it’s Friday, of course :wink: ) maybe some rice and a vegetable. Skip dessert, perhaps.

And in between all of this… NO snacking. (This will be hard for me) :blushing:

Outside of Ash Wednesday… and Good Friday (which I will fast on water and ONE simple meal of fish)… I’m going to attempt this method of “fasting”. Pleeeeeeeeeease pray for me. :rolleyes: lol.

Thanks, and God bless

How do you fast properly? I know you can eat one small meal and two smaller meals that do not equal the main meal. A few years back I passed out on Good Friday because I was fasting. It was terribly embarrassing and people don’t let me forget it… advice?

Moderation.

My grandfather was Russian Orthodox and he once he wound up in the hospital for exhaustion or malnourishment because of how seriously he took the Great Fast. For the worry and expense it caused his family and the danger to his health, it wasn’t worth it.

Have you thought of what you’re eating for your main meal and two smaller meals? Think of adding high-protein ingredients and whole grains. And, you may consider adding a drink like “Ensure” to each meal.

Dehydration is also a cause of passing out. Much of the water we get comes from food, so unless you are upping your water intake, it can also become dangerous. *NOTE, I AM NOT AN MD… but I do have some experience with fasting… * And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, too. :wink:

Also, if you decide to do more fasting than that which is prescribed, PLEASE talk with a priest at minimum (consulting with an MD wouldn’t hurt, either), preferably one you know fairly well. He should know what type of fasting can be done safely, and help ensure you aren’t going overboard. As my priest said in today’s homily, Lent (and specifically penances) isn’t about beating ourselves up. It’s about uniting our sufferings with Christ’s on the cross.

God Bless!
Ericka

Thanks for the replies. didn’t mean to hijack the thread, please ignore my post from here on out. carry on!

ericka1701,
I’m in Tennessee as well. mind if I ask what diocese?

pax vobiscum

**Moderation.

My grandfather was Russian Orthodox and he once he wound up in the hospital for exhaustion or malnourishment because of how seriously he took the Great Fast. For the worry and expense it caused his family and the danger to his health, it wasn’t worth it**

You are quite right, Miserissima.

I used to observe the fasts strictly, butwith various infirmities, I cannot be as strict as I once was.

So I keep the first week of Lent and Holy Week strictly, and just go without meat the rest of the time.

The fathers and tradition of the Eastern Chuches (both Catholic and Orthodox) are very insistent that the fasts in their rigor are for normal healthy people doing normal things, and you are NOT to fast or abstain to the point you damage your health.

I don’t remember the source but I know there are some traditional fasts, particularly ones that Mary asked us to do.

**Any fasts that the Theotokos told us to understake will be already enshrined in the fasting rules of the Church.

Period.**

I think people get confused about fasting. Fasting isn’t really about starving yourself.

It’s about DENYING yourself. There’s a difference. :wink:

Oh, how I’m going to want a nice juicy cheeseburger… sometime during Lent. And I’m going to want my snacks, too. :rolleyes: I snack a lot during the day… because regular meals are difficult to coordinate with my caregiving responsibilities.

But during Lent… I’m going to TRY (emphasis on word “try” :smiley: ) to stick to the simple meal plan. I will eat… yes. But no meat on Fridays. No snacking. And no favorite foods (like that cheeseburger). :crying:

I repeat… pleeeeeeeease pray for me. :wink: Thanks and God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.