Pope Francis' 1st encyclical to be released July 5 [CWN]

The Holy See Press Office has announced that Pope Francis’s first encyclical, Lumen Fidei [Light of Faith], will be released on July 5.Cardinal Marc Ouellet, the prefect of the …

More…

Woo hoo! :slight_smile:

July 5th, huh?

…That’s my birthday. :smiley: What a great present.

This is great news! I’m very eager to read it when it comes out. I hope people will read what he actually says and ignore the sensationalized partial quotes mixed with disinformation and spin that are inevitably going to come out of the mainstream media.

Indeed. I think that some reporters just take any new encyclical and do a word search for key words (“condom”, “homosexual”, “contraception”, etc.) so they can pull a quote and build an article around it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am guessing it will be on the internet then. Am looking forward to reading it.

Have a Happy and Blessed Birthday.

Yes, it should fill the void that currently exists here on the Vatican website:

vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/encyclicals/index_en.htm

:slight_smile:

Has anyone heard whether the English translation will be available right away?

The press release doesn’t really say, but I would assume so. The publication of an encyclical is always relatively high profile. Thus, they ordinarily release it in all the major languages simultaneously. I would be very surprised if it was not available in English right away. All of Benedict’s encyclicals were.

I may be showing my age. I seem to remember once-upon-a-time there was one I was really interested in, but the English wasn’t available right away. But it may have been something “lesser” than an encyclical. The ol’ memory ain’t what she used to be. :smiley:
Thanks, Joe.

That was the case with Benedict’s Summorum Pontificum (on the old Latin Mass) back in 2007. That was a motu proprio, though, not an encyclical. In fact, it’s still not in English on the Vatican website. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s only in Latin and Hungarian (curiously enough).

He only had 3 encyclicals, though, and I do remember seeing all three of them on day 1. It’s funny the things I remember sometimes. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.