Pope francis and pre marital sex

I over heard some coworkers talking about a news article they read about pope Francis supposedly trying to get rid of church teaching of premarital sex being a sin. Has anyone else heard of this? Also they went on to say “I don’t know where this came from. The bible is filled with people having premarital sex” how can I respond to this?

The pope has made no such statement of the kind. Despite a general change in tone, he is very orthodox in his stance toward the church’s position on premarital sex.

I have googled and googled to see if I could get anything on this and the only piece I found was protectthepope.com/?p=9213 . If your friends are Catholic and supporters of the Catholic Theological Association, pray for them and their friends to be guided back to the Truth. If not, heaven knows where they get that strange idea from. If they bring it up again, I suggest that you ask them for the source. Oh and by the way, if they are Catholic, pray for them.

He never said anything of the sort. And even if he did it still doesn’t change the fact that premarital sex is FORBIDDEN!

You could just write a stop after “… very orthodox” :thumbsup:

There have been a number of rumors going around of late. I hadn’t actually heard that particular one. I had heard the one about the pope sneaking out, at night, to help the poor and how there had been a Third Vatican Council and what he had (supposedly) said there!

There was even a rumor of aliens under the Vatican! :wink:

Of course, the rumor about the premarital sex would be the easiest to believe, but even the pope can’t change certain things. I don’t think he can change dogma, certain beliefs. He can’t go back, say, and change the 10 commandments!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church, likewise, talks about it.

Scroll down to 2353…Catechism…

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a6.htm

Then, the Bible talks against fornication, throughout.

Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes* nor sodomites. 1 Corinthians, 6:9-10.
nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Tell them it is not true at all. They really don’t know what they are talking about. One would have to get “rid” of the 6th Commandment as well as some of the Bible. Keep in mind that Jesus promised His Church would NEVER teach error. God Bless, Memaw

The problem here is you are citing an “article” that is probably loaded with other falsehoods if it is saying that.

The Western media is out of control with Pope Francis because they think he’s some kind of liberal, or they at least want him to be oh so badly.

But as another has said, Pope Francis is very orthodox.

Liberal spin by those who would like to see teaching thrown out the window. The liberal media is hot on this. They love to take his remarks and re-work them to suit their agendas.
Crazy. :eek:
Next time they start on this, just crack up. LOUD. LONG. Walk away.

I would walk away from most media. Celebrity nonsense, rumors, a minute of actual news, lots of sports, and weather, plus commercials.

The internet has made this “spread a rumor” hobby much, much worse.

Peace,
Ed

I would do as the others say and explain that it isn’t true.

Seems the media is running with all kinds of falsehoods which is not really that surprising.

I heard about the 3rd Vat council and all he was supposed to say. One of my FB friends had posted a link. I corrected it (in a nice way) and also said the article was so far fetched from truth it was laughable. The remark was “well it would be cool if it were true”. I just had to shake my head and pray for this person.

One of my friends also posted it on facebook.
I told them this should have been published on April 1 as its a hoax. If anyone clicks the disclaimer on that article they will see that this is a satirical blogsite.

I doubt very much if “it would be cool if it were true.” Our Lady of Fatima said, " More people go to HELL because of sins of the flesh, than for any other reason." I don’t think it’s cool down there!!! God Bless, And Mary Christmas.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.