Pope Francis and Rabbi Skorka make history in the Vatican

vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/francesco-francis-francisco-28206/

Never before in the history of Christian-Jewish relations have a Pope and a Rabbi celebrated their friendship by living in the Vatican together for several days, sharing all meals, including on two Jewish festivals and the Sabbath at which the Rabbi said prayers in Hebrew, and discussing what more they can do together to promote dialogue and peace in the world.

Is this a major step forward for religious unity? This under reported story describes the intense cooperation between Pope Francis and Rabbi Skorka that may very well result in a visit of Pope Francis to Israel in the near future. I believe it’s history in the making for Catholic/Jewish relations, similar to the historic visit of Bl John Paul II to Israel during his Papacy!

It would be tough to move a whole religion to convert to another one overnight. I think that would be near impossible. Now, probably with them meeting, we can see a Jewish and Catholicism alliance, but I don’t think this is a step towards Jews coming to the CC

It does open a door to conversation though. The pope’s actions influence a lot of people, what they pay attention to, etc. I could definitely imagine that, if this story got reported enough, Jewish and Catholic people might be more inclined to do similar things, which could lead to more dialog and conversion. And that’s a good thing.

it reminds me of this
google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.locutions.org%2F&ei=0M9NUurVDIqY7Qa9uICQCQ&usg=AFQjCNGEyYFYHHZVdVkOmr1rx8Q3KTuwhA&sig2=nePH8J-DciiOe7Eb2xaaHA

Very encouraging!

REPOST: By religious unity I’m not in any way suggesting one religion, but all religions under one common umbrella; each religion keeping its unique identity, with the other religions respecting that identity through LOVE and understanding; the major religions living in peace and harmony through coexistence. The major religions uniting to promoting common social causes. For example: How do we put LOVE into the global economy? Again, I personally believe it will take a uniting of the world’s major religions–such as a common cause to end extreme poverty in the world using an unprecedented lobbying power.

I do not believe the Pope’s intent was to convert Jews to the CC, but rather to learn, better understand, and show the world that our two different faiths can live in peace.

It’s a great way to open the door for more dialogue…
Mary.

While for peace we should try to co-exist, we should at the same time pray that the people of other religious faiths will one day be led to the fullness of truth in the one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church that was founded by God.

Exactly. We still want the world to embrace the fullness of the Truth. To let them think they have it by uniting in a relativistic world religious union would be deceitful and cruel.

In the meantime, the major religions can unite to defeat Satan in the many evil social issues facing our world, such as the need to eradicate extreme poverty!

Another reminder of why Francis is so great. He exudes love and compassion.

Satan is defeated by Christ alone not by “major religions”. Also, poverty is a product of sin and death not just the devil.

But evil social issues, such as abortion and extreme poverty, can best be dealt with by forming a strong alliance between the major world religions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.