Pope Francis (Bergoglio) Criticised Pope Benedict XVI?

In 2005, then Pope Benedict, while quoting from an obscure medieval text, declared that the Prophet Mohammed, founder of the Islamic faith, was “evil and inhuman”, enraging the Muslim population and causing attacks on churches throughout the world before an apology was issued.

Reacting within days to the statements, speaking through a spokesman to Newsweek Argentina, then Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio declared his “unhappiness” with the statements, made at the University of Regensburg in Germany, and encouraged many of his subordinates with the Church to do the same.

“Pope Benedict’s statement don’t reflect my own opinions”, the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires declared. “These statements will serve to destroy in 20 seconds the careful construction of a relationship with Islam that Pope John Paul II built over the last twenty years”.

The Vatican reacted quickly, removing one subordinate, Joaquín Piña the Archbishop of Puerto Iguazú from his post within four days of his making similar statements to the Argentine national media, sending a clear statement to Cardinal Bergoglio that he would be next should he choose to persist.

Reacting to the threats from Rome, Cardinal Bergoglio cancelled his plans to fly to Rome, choosing to boycott the second synod that Pope Benedict had called during his tenure as pontiff.

telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9931030/Pope-Francis-run-in-with-Benedict-XVI-over-the-Prophet-Mohammed.html

Is this true? Any thoughts?

I know Pope Benedict XVI didn’t mean to cause offense and his words were taken out of context. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice noted the Pontiff’s “love of humanity,” and said: “We all need to understand that offense can sometimes be taken when perhaps we don’t see it.”

0 Likes

My thought is to stop reading the Telegraph. Everything I’ve seen from them recently has been sensationalistic - claims that are not clearly attributed.

0 Likes

It seems as if If all hell has broken loose because of the selection that has been made in Pope Francis. Just look at all of the threads popping up with this or that rumor causing some disturbance among the Faithful trying to get us to engage in spreading rumors that can kill a person’s good character. Must be a good sign.

0 Likes

Well I think it’s only here since most of the mainstream media, social media and general public have displayed overwhelming support for the new Pope.

0 Likes

Which side is the Spanish Inquisition?

0 Likes

Rice is ambassador to the Unite Nations, not Secretary of State (thank God!) :wink:

0 Likes

I have to admit all of the threads popping up have me concerned. It seems to me as if people are looking for a reason to worry about Pope Francis. Just my impression. The man is solidly orthodox, humble, and devout. We don’t need to worry. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

0 Likes

Wrong Rice. You may be thinking of Susan.

0 Likes

Not on your question, but didn’t violent reaction of fundy Islam prove the pope’s point for him?

0 Likes

In 2005, Condoleezza Rice was the Secretary of State. I’d much rather have her than her successor, Ms. Clinton.

As another poster has pointed out, Susan Rice is the Ambassador to the UN.

–Jen

0 Likes

QUOTE from OP:

Quote:
In 2005, then Pope Benedict, while quoting from an obscure medieval text, declared that the Prophet Mohammed, founder of the Islamic faith, was “evil and inhuman”, enraging the Muslim population and causing attacks on churches throughout the world before an apology was issued.

Reacting within days to the statements, speaking through a spokesman to Newsweek Argentina, then Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio declared his “unhappiness” with the statements, made at the University of Regensburg in Germany, and encouraged many of his subordinates with the Church to do the same.

“Pope Benedict’s statement don’t reflect my own opinions”, the then Archbishop of Buenos Aires declared. “These statements will serve to destroy in 20 seconds the careful construction of a relationship with Islam that Pope John Paul II built over the last twenty years”.

The Vatican reacted quickly, removing one subordinate, Joaquín Piña the Archbishop of Puerto Iguazú from his post within four days of his making similar statements to the Argentine national media, sending a clear statement to Cardinal Bergoglio that he would be next should he choose to persist.

Reacting to the threats from Rome, Cardinal Bergoglio cancelled his plans to fly to Rome, choosing to boycott the second synod that Pope Benedict had called during his tenure as pontiff.

telegraph.co.uk/news/reli…-Mohammed.html

Is this true? Any thoughts?

0 Likes

I do not know if the above is true. But it does fits the picture of a typical south american bishop, I am afraid. I mean not really wanting to listen to the Pope and stuff, specially an orthodox pope like Benedict was. Social justice and populism is generally the main priority in south american church and most are highly influenced by Liberation Theology in various degrees. Liturgy is not so important to them but they are very strong in Ecumenism with other religions, not only with Jews, and Muslims, but also with Candomble, Umbanda (afro cults similar to santeria.) Maybe that is why Bergoglio was unhappy…

0 Likes

If true then I’m loving him already. :thumbsup:

0 Likes

Canon Lawyer Dr. Edw. Peters had this to say in Newadvent today:

The mainstream media is in panic over Pope Francis.
The new pope is solidly opposed to everything big media wants (contraception, abortion, ‘same-sex marriage’, etc.), but it can’t simply write him off as an out-of-touch academic (Benedict) or as a provincial Slav suffering Nazi and Communist induced post-traumatic stress disorder (John Paul II). Worse, the first prelate of the Catholic world is a man of proven commitment to the poor (far more demonstrably than are his limousine liberal critics), and has lived his whole life in a simplicity that is utterly beyond the ken of Manhattan or the Beltway sophisticates.

So, confronted by a major Catholic prelate of such palpable integrity, what’s the media to do? Only one thing: Look up what country the prelate calls home, find out what trauma that country suffered (that’s not hard to do, all modern countries suffer from traumas, generally those organized by their governments), and accuse the prelate of—wait for it—Not Speaking Out.

0 Likes

Brilliant analysis. Thanks for sharing it.

0 Likes

Well, it is definitely here, but even you quoted from a news source as did others who have started these threads, and asked if it was true.

0 Likes

More tripe from the anti-catholic british press, hey this new papa sure has them all worried… NEXT STORY PLEASE !

0 Likes

These forums do have a reputation for attracting more conservatively-minded people, so the topics will reflect such.

Pope Francis has received a very warm welcome from the mainstream in comparison to Pope Benedict XVI in 2005.

0 Likes

I don’t know much about British newspapers, but seeing as this is a direct quote, it disturbs me a little bit that he criticized Pope Benedict. Indeed, the reaction of fundamentalist Muslims proved his point exactly.

Although it is a direct quote, I wonder if the Telegraph left anything out to color the statement to go in the direction they desired.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.