Pope Francis: Beware of Hidden Idolatry That ‘Stifles’ the Faith

From the National Catholic Register.

ncregister.com/daily-news/pope-francis-beware-of-hidden-idolatry-that-stifles-the-faith

Peace,
Ed

He’s pretty amazing. A true servant of Christ.

He is absolutely RIGHT. He is indeed a good servant of God.

God Bless the Pope!!!

“Jesus counsels: Don’t look at appearances; go by the truth,” said the Pope. “The plate is the plate, but what is important is what’s on the plate: the meal.”
“If you are vain, if you are a careerist, if you are ambitious, if you are a person who always puts himself forward or likes to advance yourself because you think you are perfect, give a little bit of alms, and that will heal your hypocrisy.”
“This is the way of the Lord,” he concluded. “It is to worship God, to love God above all things and to love your neighbor.”
“It’s so simple, but so difficult! This can only be done with grace. Let us ask for this grace.”

Read more: ncregister.com/daily-news/pope-francis-beware-of-hidden-idolatry-that-stifles-the-faith#ixzz2i2bsY27A

AMEN!

Wise words on idolatry and grace from our beloved Pope!~
God bless the Pope.
Mary.

Love this.

:thumbsup:

A real call for deep insight.

It can be hard to know hidden idolatry, which loves to hide itself as virtue.

From his homily on May 14th (emphasis mine):
“Let us think of that moment with the Magdalene, when she washed the feet of Jesus with nard, which was so expensive: it is a religious moment, a moment of gratitude, a moment of love. And he [Judas] stands apart and criticizes her bitterly: ‘But … this could be used for the poor!’. This is the first reference that I personally found in the Gospel of poverty as an ideology. The ideologue does not know what love is, because they do not know how to gift themselves”.

Pope Francis continued: Judas stood apart “in his solitude" and this attitude of selfishness grew to the point of his “betrayal of Jesus.” He said those who love “give their lives as a gift", the selfish instead “safeguards his life, grows in this selfishness and becomes a traitor, but is always alone.” However, those who “give their life for love, are never alone: they are always in the community, part of the family.” The Pope warned that those who “isolate their conscience in selfishness,” in the end “lose”. This is how Judas ended up, the Pope said, he “was an idolater, attached to money”
From his homily yesterday (10/17) Again, emphasis mine:
“When we go down the path and find in front of us a closed Church, we feel strange because a closed Church is not understood,” the Pope said. “The Lord who is inside cannot come out.” This image of the closed Church, he explained, is given by Jesus in today’s Gospel. The Holy Father also explained why many Christians fall into this “attitude of ‘key in pocket’ and closed door.”

“Faith passes, so to speak, through an alembic (distillery) and becomes an ideology. And ideology does not convene. In ideology there is no Jesus: his tenderness, love, meekness. And ideologies are always rigid,” the Pope said.

“In every sense: rigid. And when a Christian becomes a disciple of ideology, they have lost the faith: they are no more a disciple of Jesus, they are a disciple of this attitude of thought, of this…” And for this reason Jesus says to them: ‘You have taken away the key of knowledge’. The knowledge of Jesus is transformed into an ideological and also moralistic knowledge, because these closed the door with so many requirements.”

The Holy Father continued his homily saying that ideology within the Church only serves to alienate people. **“These Christian ideologies are a grave sickness!” **he exclaimed. However, he noted, this sickness is not something that is relatively new, but spoken of by the apostles, particularly St. John, during the time of the early Church.

**“Christians who lose the faith and prefer ideology become rigid, moralists, ethicists, but without goodness. **But this may be the question, no? Why does a Christian become that way? What happens in the heart of that Christian, that priest, of that bishop, of that Pope, that makes them that way. It is simply one thing: that Christian does not pray. And if there is no prayer, you will always close the door.”
Something to think about. Hard.

The reason why I posted the extract from his homily on the 14th of May was to show that he does not solely address this idea of ideology = bad to just those who are moralists, but to those who uphold anything (even care for the poor) above the adoration and worship of Christ. The worship of Christ must come first…then everything should flow out from that…

Exactly! I think that’s all he’s been trying to tell us, really.

So the Pope is talking about not having idols, but from the responses I have read here that is just what it seems everyone is making him, an idol.

Anybody who does not agree with everything this Pope says is belittled and chided and people are falling all over themselves to praise him to the heavens. That to me is making him an idol. Really, he is just a man, like you or I, with all our faults. He has even said this himself.

I’m sorry? What have I said that would make you come to that conclusion? Your comment is rather rude.

How so?

Definition of idol: any person or thing regarded with blind admiration, adoration, or devotion.

From what I read in post after post on anything concerning the current Pope, people have blind admiration of him. It seems that anything that he says is better than the last thing he said. That is just crazy. Nobody is that perfect except Christ himself. Even the Pope has said he is just a man who sins and has his faults.

From a CNN blog:

No, the pope is blunt. No sugarcoating here. Of course Francis knows that he is redeemed by God, and he knows he is loved by God. But he feels in his bones that he is a sinner: imperfect, flawed and struggling. As are we all.

Again, what did I post that led you to say I am idolizing the Pope. You clearly said that “from the** responses I have read here** that is just what it seems everyone is making him, an idol.” I would like to know, specifically, what I have posted that leads you to accuse me of making him an idol.

Be specific. It is a rather uncharitable charge, so you should at least have a specific example of what I have posted. Is it the “AMEN?”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.