Pope Francis Calls for Protection of Unaccompanied Child Migrants

Pope Francis has sent a message to the “Mexico/Holy See Colloquium on Migration and Development”, urging protection for tens of thousands of unaccompanied children who are migrating North from Central America and Mexico in increasing numbers.

[quote=Pope Francis]Globalization is a phenomenon that challenges us, especially in one of its principal manifestations which is emigration. It is one of the “signs” of this time that we live in and that brings us back to the words of Jesus, “Why do you not know how to interpret the present time?” (Lk 12,57). Despite the large influx of migrants present in all continents and in almost all countries, migration is still seen as an emergency, or as a circumstantial and sporadic fact, while instead it has now become a hallmark of our society and a challenge.

It is a phenomenon that carries with it great promise and many challenges. Many people forced to emigrate suffer, and often, die tragically; many of their rights are violated, they are obliged to separate from their families and, unfortunately, continue to be the subject of racist and xenophobic attitudes.

Faced with this situation, I repeat what I have affirmed in this year’s Message for the World Day of Migrants and Refugees: “A change of attitude towards migrants and refugees is needed on the part of everyone, moving away from attitudes of defensiveness and fear, indifference and marginalization – all typical of a throwaway culture – towards attitudes based on a culture of encounter, the only culture capable of building a better, more just and fraternal world”.

I would also like to draw attention to the tens of thousands of children who migrate alone, unaccompanied, to escape poverty and violence: This is a category of migrants from Central America and Mexico itself who cross the border with the United States under extreme conditions and in pursuit of a hope that in most cases turns out to be vain. They are increasing day by day. This humanitarian emergency requires, as a first urgent measure, these children be welcomed and protected. These measures, however, will not be sufficient, unless they are accompanied by policies that inform people about the dangers of such a journey and, above all, that promote development in their countries of origin. Finally, this challenge demands the attention of the entire international community so that new forms of legal and secure migration may be adopted.
[/quote]

Full text: news.va/en/news/pope-calls-for-protection-of-unaccompanied-child-m

youtube.com/watch?v=Y2dw-KnKEak

Listen to what Michael Voris has discovered about Obama and the bishops here;. It’s one thing to have compassion but they will be playing right into Obama’s hands to secure the vote for the party of death for generations to come. Our religious freedom is on the line.

The Children are one issue, Obama is completely another. We are going to take care of these children like we take of those in Chicago which hit an all time high on July 4th?

There’s no good coming out of this, good with Obama would have to be an accident. And Catholic relief services is the only one helping the severe case’s in Central America. Good thing we are not waiting for Obama to help them.

" WASHINGTON, August 14, 2013 - Today, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) released its annual report, Expenditures on Children by Families, also known as the Cost of Raising a Child. The report shows that a middle-income family with a child born in 2012 can expect to spend about $241,080 ($301,970 adjusted for projected inflation*) for food, shelter, and other necessities associated with child-rearing expenses over the next 17 years."

Let’s take half of that, $150,000 x 70,000 = $10,500,000,000!

Obama is hell bent on financial disaster and its apparent.

Love and compassion for the children is non sequitur, love and compassion doesn’t solve the issue.

Thank you for posting. I hope Pope Francis’ message is not dismissed or ignored because of political posturing, fear tactics or other excuses.

I don’t know how much money the bishops should take from Obama—won’t it come with conditions? It always does when government gets involved. I hope the bishops know what they are doing.

There’s an awful lot of conjecture going on in this video. It’s quite insulting to the bishops in these areas.

I hope so, too, but I wouldn’t bet the farm.

Your absolutely wrong. One can say oh, Obama and the democrats will get votes for generations to come bc of this. But guess what the democrats need to act, maybe not nationally buy locally. It’s kinda like when Bush got reflected and he made banning gay marriages his last minute swing in his 2004 reelection. People began to see that it was just a ploy.

Hispanics will see that in democrats as well. Ok, they might not do anything nationally, but start locally and build. If they do that then they have a foundation. I don’t think it’s religious.

I like your response, people have to understand that helping these kids is not helping Obama.

God wiling it doesn’t God willing.

Sadly assisting these children has already become tied to partisan politics.

The right-wing has already begun its fuming and bubbling about a foreign conspiracy with the President. (Glenn Beck being an exception, the man showed himself to be extremely generous in taking food and toys down)

I just watched this. I wish more people would subscribe to the Vortex.

The best way we can help these children would be to put them on a plane to Rome where I am sure they will be treated well.

Since Mexico has the 15th largest Gross Domestic Product in the world – and so therefore is hardly a puny economy in of itself, perhaps the Holy Father is actually telling them to care for these youth rather than just shuffling them north and exposing them to more danger.

Many migrants die on the way to the United States, they are prey to the worse of criminals. I would remember this as well, illegal immigration should not be encouraged.

Yeah, and maybe the Samaritan should leave the dying Jew on the road. It’s none of his business anyway and surely the Jews will tend to him.

The child migrants coming from Central America aren’t illegal under current U.S. law. They are considered refugees. Once they are processed at the border, they are given provisionary immigration status until the end of their trial, which currently is backlogged over a decade. Most of the child migrants have a parent who is either a U.S. resident or U.S. citizen, or at least some relatives in the US where they stay until their trial.

This humanitarian emergency requires, as a first urgent measure, these children be welcomed and protected. These measures, however, will not be sufficient, unless they are accompanied by policies that inform people about the dangers of such a journey and, above all, that promote development in their countries of origin. Finally, this challenge demands the attention of the entire international community so that new forms of legal and secure migration may be adopted.

Good old common sense. I notice that he thinks people should be discouraged from migrating and instead fix (with assistance) the conditions in their own countries. That seems like a far smarter idea than the US trying to absort an endless stream of people.

We could have all of those armed militia people looking for something to do go on ahead and clean up those Central American countries so that its safe to return all those kids. Kill two birds with one stone. :stuck_out_tongue:

Legal or Illegal, many are Dead per their Migration. You know a whole lot of Migrants, over 100, in fact, 165 were saved in Mexico whereas organized crime took them, the military rescued them.

Most of the child migrants have a parent who is either a U.S. resident or U.S. citiizen, or at least some relatives in the US where they stay until their trial.

There is no source for this.

They may have relatives in the US and they are illegal too, good luck in finding them.

165 kidnapped migrants rescued in Mexico.

news.yahoo.com/police-rescue-165-kidnapped-migrants-mexican-border-state-210542112.html

Those who encourage this illegal immigration as far as I’m concerned may have blood on their hands.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.