Pope Francis calls for renewed commitment to Vatican II's Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy [CWN]

Pope Francis has issued a message on the occasion of a symposium devoted to the 50th anniversary of Sacrosanctum Concilium, the Second Vatican Council’s Constitution on the Sacred …

More…

"At the conclusion of his message, which was addressed to the prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, Pope Francis called for “a renewed willingness to move forward on the path indicated by the conciliar fathers, because much still remains to be done for a correct and complete assimilation of the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy.”

:thumbsup:

God bless Pope Francis.

Ed

Haven’t the previous Popes tried to do the same?

Hm, I’m not quite sure what to make of this.

It seems like you could read this in a couple of different ways :confused:

You might have a point. If SC is committed to, would we expect to see Latin preserved in the liturgy, pipe organs built and Gregorian chant everywhere? Or do we continue the status quo of bashing everything before the Council, including the very Mass which was said every day the Council was in session?

Right.

The question is, is this a renewed commitment to what SC and the Council actually said, which would mean Latin, Chant, etc, and a move away from “progressive” liturgy? Or is it a renewed commitment to the “spirit” of the Council, which would mean continue to move even further along towards “progressive” liturgy?

It seems like you could read this either way…

It’s both. We’ve already had guidance from Pope Benedict XVI for a Hermeneutic of Continuity, plus we have the great tradition in the Church of “both/and.” Why does a “progressive liturgy” need to lack any Latin? Both can and should be together. I’ve experienced it, and it’s amazing! Graduale Romanum, FTW! :thumbsup:

An example: youtube.com/watch?v=vBH0VysHUBU

Maybe, but one can’t expect this week after week at a Sunday Mass any more than one sees a Pontifical Mass using the 62 Missal week after week. A 1962 Pontifical Mass by the way looks and feels very much like a Latin OF Mass said by a bishop. Also, if you notice, there are some silent prayers said by the bishop (or, in this case the Cardinal Emeritus), and isn’t the silence what progressives seem to despise?

I don’t see anything that indicates he was talking about “the spirit of the Council.”

The question is whether it’s implied or not.

Stating that the anniversary evokes “sentiments of gratitude for the profound and widespread renewal of liturgical life made possible by the conciliar Magisterium, to the glory of God and the edification of the Church,”

I really don’t even know what to make of this.

:shrug:

This probably explains that.

Citing St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans, the Pontiff then spoke of the importance of “true spiritual worship” in which the faithful offer themselves as a living sacrifice. A liturgy “detached from spiritual worship,” he said, might seem “almost magical” and have “an empty aestheticism.”

From what I’ve read the bolded words were sometimes how Catholicism was seen in Latin America before the council, something that the Pope might have first hand experience with.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.