Pope Francis denies that Islam is violent

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE - Pope Francis on Sunday defended his avoidance of the term “Islamic violence” by suggesting the potential for violence lies in every religion, including Catholicism.

“I don’t like to talk about Islamic violence, because every day, when I read the newspaper, I see violence,” Francis said, when asked about why he never speaks of Islamic terrorism or fundamentalism when condemning attacks such as the murder of a French priest last week, who had his throat slit by an Islamic terrorist as he was celebrating Mass.

The pope said that when he reads the newspaper, he reads about an Italian who kills his fiancé or his mother in law.

“They are baptized Catholics. They are violent Catholics,” Francis said, adding that if he speaks of “Islamic violence,” then he has to speak of “Catholic violence” too.

The pope said that in every religion there are violent people, “a small group of fundamentalists,” including in Catholicism.

“When fundamentalism goes as far as murdering … you can murder with your tongue and also with the knife,” he said.

cruxnow.com/world-youth-day-krakow/2016/07/31/pope-francis-denies-islam-violent/

Someone may have already asked this on another thread to do with earlier comments by Pope Francis regarding Islam, not sure, but is it completely fine for there to be diversity of opinion among Catholics regarding Islam and the view of its association or relationship with violence? Or not?

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Pope_Francis_meets_with_the_grand_imam_Sheik_Ahmed_Muhammad_Al_Tayyib_at_the_Vatican_May_23_2016_Credit_LOsservatore_Romano__CNA.jpgVatican City, Jul 31, 2016 / 03:37 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Pope Francis has questioned the claim that Islam should be identified with violence, in contrast to the Islamic State militant group, which he says is a fundamentalist sect of the religion.

“I do not believe it is right to identify Islam with violence,” the Pope told journalists during the July 31 papal flight to Rome following his apostolic journey to Poland. “This is not right and it is not true.”

“I don’t like to speak about Islamic violence,” the Pope said, taking into account that one sees violence every day in the newspapers, even at the hands of baptised Catholics.

“There are violent Catholics!” he said. “If I speak of Islamic violence, I must speak of Catholic violence.”

The Pope expressed his belief that every religion has its fundamentalist groups, including Catholicism.

Such fundamentalism, when it is present, can “kill with language,” he said, citing the worlds of the Apostle James.

Francis’ remarks came in response to a question put by a journalist regarding the murder of a French priest at the hands of Islamist militants, an attack which Pope Francis condemned. The journalist asked the Pope why he never refers to Islam when decrying these sorts of terrorist acts committed by Islamist militants.

Fr. Jacques Hamel, 86, was killed Tuesday after two armed gunmen stormed a church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray during Mass. The assailants entered the church and took the celebrating priest and four others hostage.

The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, which was carried out by Adel Kermiche and Abdel Malik Nabil Petitjean, both 19.

Two more men – Farid K, 30, a cousin of Petitjean, and Jean-Philippe Steven J, 20 – have been placed under formal investigation in connection to the murders, according to the BBC.

During the in-flight conference, Pope Francis explained he had a long discussion with the Al-Azhar University’s grand iiman, and so understands Muslims. “They seek peace, encounter,” he explained.

Moreover, he said that according to the nuncio to an African nation (which the Pope did not specify in the conference), many of those who pass through the Jubilee Year of Mercy Door, who go to pray at the altar of Our Lady, are Muslims who wish to take part in the Jubilee.

Francis also recalled the Muslims he encountered during last November’s trip to the Central African Republic, including the imam who at one point joined him in the popemobile.

Acknowledging that there are fundamentalist groups, the Pope stressed that there are many young people, including Europeans themselves, who “have left empty of ideals, who have no work,” and who turn to drugs and alcohol and “enlist in fundamentalist groups.”

“One can speak of the so-called ISIS,” the Pope continued, “but it is an Islamic state which presents itself as violence.”

The group thus shows its “identity card,” he said, making reference to the group of Egyptians whose throats were slit on the coast of Libya.

“This is a small fundamentalist group called ISIS,” he said. But “I do not believe it is true or correct that Islam is terrorist.”

Sunday evening’s in-flight press conference came at the end of Pope Francis’ July 27-31 trip to Poland, where he presided over World Youth Day celebrations in Krakow.

Full article…

Where did he deny Islam was violent? All he said was other religions could have violence too. With the rise of Hindu fundamentalism in India, I’d like to see where he is wrong.

:thumbsup: Oh, but the liberal media easily forgets all of those and chooses to focus on anything a Christian has done wrong.

What about the difference between murder wih tongue and murder with a knife? They seem different to me. To say they are no different seems very Protestant.

Why is it that when I read “aboard a papal plane”. What follows is either a lie, or a mistake?

:confused:

Here?

“I believe that it’s not fair to identify Islam with violence. It’s not fair and it’s not true.”

So naive, comments like this undermine his credibility.

Likely so. Perhaps the “all-so-appealing” and needed “ecumenism” is being halted by involvement like this – save for Islam.

Full quote

Antoine Marie Izoarde, i.Media: Holy Father, before all I make the congratulations to you and Father Lombardi and also to Fr. Spadaro for the feast of St. Ignatius, if you allow me. The question is a little difficult: Catholics are a bit in shock, and not only in France, after the barbarous assassination of Fr. Jacques Hamel - as you know well - in his church while celebrating the Holy Mass. Four days ago you here told us that all religions want peace. But this holy, 86-year-old priest was clearly killed in the name of Islam. So Holy Father, I have two brief questions: why do you, when you speak of these violent events, always speak of terrorists, but never of Islam, never use the word Islam? And then, aside from prayer and dialogue, which are obviously essential, what concrete initiatives can you advise or suggest in order to counteract Islamic violence? Thank you, Holiness.

Pope Francis: I don’t like to speak of Islamic violence, because every day, when I browse the newspapers, I see violence, here in Italy… this one who has murdered his girlfriend, another who has murdered the mother-in-law… and these are baptized Catholics! There are violent Catholics! If I speak of Islamic violence, I must speak of Catholic violence . . . and no, not all Muslims are violent, not all Catholics are violent. It is like a fruit salad; there’s everything. There are violent persons of this religion… this is true: I believe that in pretty much every religion there is always a small group of fundamentalists. Fundamentalists. We have them. When fundamentalism comes to kill, it can kill with the language – the Apostle James says this, not me – and even with a knife, no? I do not believe it is right to identify Islam with violence. This is not right or true. I had a long conversation with the imam, the Grand Imam of the Al-Azhar University, and I know how they think . . . They seek peace, encounter . . . The nuncio to an African country told me that the capital where he is there is a trail of people, always full, at the Jubilee Holy Door. And some approach the confessionals – Catholics – others to the benches to pray, but the majority go forward, to pray at the altar of Our Lady… these are Muslims, who want to make the Jubilee. They are brothers, they live… When I was in Central Africa, I went to them, and even the imam came up on the Popemobile… We can coexist well… But there are fundamentalist groups, and even I ask… there is a question… How many young people, how many young people of our Europe, whom we have left empty of ideals, who do not have work… they take drugs, alcohol, or go there to enlist in fundamentalist groups. One can say that the so-called ISIS, but it is an Islamic State which presents itself as violent . . . because when they show us their identity cards, they show us how on the Libyan coast how they slit the Egyptians’ throats or other things… But this is a fundamentalist group which is called ISIS… but you cannot say, I do not believe, that it is true or right that Islam is terrorist.

Izoard: Your concrete initiatives to counteract terrorism, violence?

Pope Francis: Terrorism is everywhere. You think of the tribal terrorism of some African countries. It is terrorism and also . . . But I don’t know if I say it because it is a little dangerous… Terrorism grows when there are no other options, and when the center of the global economy is the god of money and not the person – men and women – this is already the first terrorism! You have cast out the wonder of creation – man and woman – and you have put money in its place. This is a basic terrorism against all of humanity! Think about it!

catholicnewsagency.com/news/full-text-of-pope-francis-in-flight-presser-from-poland-70432/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+catholicnewsagency%2Fdailynews+%28CNA+Daily+News%29&utm_term=daily+news

Islam has historically been a violent religion, and the Koran instructs violence and subjugation against non-Muslims. The violence committed every day by people of other faiths is different than Islamic violence since it isn’t done for religious reasons, such as killing the infidel. It would be unfair to say that all Mohammedans are violent, but it is not unfair to say that Islam is violent. Cardinal Burke says that Islam wants to govern the world.

Yes, but we must remember that the pope here has a political agenda of “ecumenism,” even if that means ecumenism outside of Christianity. He will defend Islam to the last straw, perhaps… and this is not a matter of faith and morals, nor is it ex cathedra, so Catholics should seriously feel free to express their own views.

A political agenda? :ehh:

Catholics should probably listen to Pope Paul VI, who said, “Then [we refer] to the adorers of God according to the conception of monotheism, the Muslim religion especially, deserving of our admiration for all that is true and good in their worship of God.”

I respect His Holiness Pope Francis, but I fear the ideas of ecumenism (outside of Christianity) and political influence on any religious institution, especially one as far-reaching in the Christian world as the Catholic Church.

That isn’t, however, evidence that the pope actually has a political agenda.

I’ve read parts of the K’uran and I think it promotes violence, as is obvious throughout history. Islam has been “spread by the sword.”

Not only is Islam violent but it considers itself better than everybody else and they can lie to achieve their objectives, like lying about violence.

The military confrontations in Israel with the Palestinians is because this is a sequel to WWII. the Arabs sided with Hitler and wanted to exterminate the Jews as much as Hitler did. In particular the Palestinians (who won’t even utter the word Israel) believe that once they conquer a piece of land, it is theirs forever. This is the strategy of the migrations to Europe and to the US.

I have known some Muslim people and they were the politest and friendliest people you would ever want to meet. But, one of these guys said he was from “Palestine” and he held himself back when I overstepped and asked him why there was such a fuss about Israel, that little piece of land. Wrong question.

Another guy I worked with committed a cultural violation. He had a female Egyptian-American woman in his office, and he put his feet up on the desk pointed at the woman. BAD. a very bad cultural insult to do this. He got spoken to about this by the personnel office.

MODERATOR REMINDER

**Members are not allowed to denigrate people of other religions or speak scornfully about other religions. **[FONT=Arial]If a member does, he will generally be counseled first and suspended if he persists in disrespectful postings.

If the nature of an initial posting is blatantly scornful of any religion (e.g., “the pope is the anti-Christ” or “Rome is the Whore of Babylon” or “Muslims are terrorists”), suspension may be immediate and without prior counseling.

Members are free to discuss, dialogue, question, disagree with, and debate the doctrines and dogmas of both Catholicism and non-Catholic religions. However, all discourse must be civil and charitable.

Guidelines

For both Catholic and non-Catholic posters:
[LIST]
*]**It is acceptable to question the doctrine or dogma of another’s faith **
*]**It is never acceptable to question the sincerity of an individual’s beliefs **
*]*Bringing up historical controversies peculiar to a particular religion should be done cautiously **
[LIST]
*]**It is acceptable to discuss the effect the incident had on current policy or practice. **
*]**It is acceptable to seek the truth vs. commonly-held beliefs or conventional wisdom about actual events. **
*]**It is fallacious reasoning to use embarrassing incidents to claim that they “prove” a particular religion is false. **
[/LIST]
*]**Expecting members of any Church to defend or answer for the excesses or extremism of bodies that have broken with it is a technique that has no merit and can’t be defended. **
[/LIST]*It is our observation that discussion of such past events rarely serves a useful purpose and inevitably opens a thread to posts that violate forum rules and/or the bounds of civil discourse. So, while such threads may be useful, they raise a red flag for the Moderation staff.[/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.