Pope Francis directs Curia to hear confessions

Do you have a favorite cardinal in the Vatican? Would you like to take a chance he will be in the confessional when you show up? How about if Pope Francis might be the one to hear your confession?

*As part of Pope Francis’ pastoral reforms, all 44 senior members of the Roman Curia, or governing body, must take turns hearing confession at a church near the Vatican.

There is even speculation that Francis himself could hear confessions at the Church of the Santo Spirito in Sassia, just outside the Vatican walls, where his bishops and cardinals have been directed to perform the sacrament of penance and reconciliation.*

*“The pope doesn’t want bureaucrats,” Galeazzi said. “He wants pastors.”

The selection of the Church of the Santo Spirito in Sassia as the location for the confessions is not a coincidence: The church is dedicated to the Divine Mercy devotion of Faustina Kowalska, a Polish nun who was named a saint in 2000 by Pope John Paul II.*
religionnews.com/2013/12/17/pope-francis-directs-curia-hear-confessions/

Why not? Remember the Pope, Cardinals and Bishops are first of all priests.

That is so awesome.

I love that man.

This is great!

I love these little things that Francis is doing. This is really a simple thing. It’s nothing mind-blowing. But it will have a huge spiritual impact.

It’s not rocket science. It’s just asking pastors to be pastors.

I’m a strange catholic. I love going to Confession and not because I have a case of the scruples. I would love it if I could get such knowledgeable and experienced Confessors as the Cardinals. What a privilege. What an honor! The Church can and will always benefit from the Sacrament of Penance being not only available but also being reverently and carefully administered by our priests, no matter who they are.

The Confessional is the gate of Heaven for all sinners. The Sacred Heart of Jesus pours out His Divine Mercy through it each and every day. I pray that our Priests each become living flames of His love and express their love for God in the Sacrament of Penance. Sadly too many have allowed the flame to die out in themselves to be much help to others. There is no better Priest who regularly uses the Sacrament than can give it. If he frequents the Sacrament himself, he will only be better able to dispense it to his penitents.

Pope Francis has is work cut out for him in this department.

Glenda

Any promotion of the Sacrament of Confession is a good thing :thumbsup:

I could not agree with you more. :thumbsup:

This isn’t really earthshaking. Many, if not most of the Cardinals already hear Confessions at the Vatican. :shrug: I guess what is new is that there will be a “mandate” as to location.

catholicnewsagency.com/ne…-local-parish/

catholicherald.co.uk/comm…n-this-advent/

Excellent. Although I hope the Pope’s doing this doesn’t put the idea into anyone’s head that the cardinals didn’t already. (We don’t know.)

This sounds good to me.

I’m trying to imagine what it would be like to enter the confessional in Rome and hear Pope Francis on the other side. How cool would that be?

You probably wouldn’t even know it was the Pope.

Good point. I’m sure at least some of them were already doing so. Even if they were all already doing so, it’s good for Pope Francis to make public the expectation.

Blessed Pope John Paul II heard confessions regularly.

Well, if I heard the Buenos Aires accent in the Vatican I could make some inferences. It is, of course, the same Person on the other side of confessional no matter where in the world I make confession.

Actually, I think we do know now. It would appear that there was a problem. Moreover, the Pope recognized there was a problem and he issued a directive for cardinals to start hearing confessions. I love this Pope. Change is never easy.

Not the Vatican, Santo Spirito in Sassia. It seems he will be hearing confessions at around 3pm, unsure which day.

Kk, but I’m not sure what half of your message is addressing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.