Pope Francis discusses duties to migrants, refugees [CWN]

In an address on migration, Pope Francis discussed how the political community, civil society, and the Church ought to react to the phenomenon of mass migration, especially forced migration.

More…

Well said by the Holy Father. May God give us the grace to set aside fear and embrace migrants with love.

I was ready to celebrate the Pope’s comments when I mistakenly read the headline as reading “Pope Francis discusses duties of migrants, refugees”. It seems, however, that that side of the coin continues to be ignored and seldom talked about.

They’re already the most marginalized group in the world, not sure what you’d ask from them…

This sentence in the speech really hit home:

For us Christians, hospitality offered to the weary traveller is offered to Jesus Christ himself, through the newcomer: “I was a stranger and you welcomed me” (Mt 25:35).

Full text available here:

news.va/en/news/pope-francis-the-protection-of-migrants-is-a-moral

Now I know how pope Francis feels when he hears people talking about abortion. After a while the message tends to get lost amongst all the white noise.

As an immigrant myself and a former refugee, my duty to the country that gave me refuge was to be a law-abiding and productive member of that country.

What is wrong with asking that from these refugees?

We do? And they’re less likely to commit crimes.
nytimes.com/2017/01/26/us/trump-illegal-immigrants-crime.html

Why are you asking the question? I don’t understand your question.

What exactly is wrong with expecting immigrants to respect the laws of the land and be a productive member of society. As the Catechism says, in the bold and underlined portion, the immigrants do have an obligation to the host nation.

2241 The more prosperous nations are obliged, to the extent they are able, to welcome the foreigner in search of the security and the means of livelihood which he cannot find in his country of origin. Public authorities should see to it that the natural right is respected that places a guest under the protection of those who receive him.

Political authorities, for the sake of the common good for which they are responsible, may make the exercise of the right to immigrate subject to various juridical conditions, especially with regard to the immigrants’ duties toward their country of adoption.

Immigrants are obliged to respect with gratitude the material and spiritual heritage of the country that receives them, to obey its laws and to assist in carrying civic burdens.

I’m saying that we already do require immigrants to follow the laws

Oh okay.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.