Pope Francis does not administer Communion: new policy explained [CWN]

Pope Francis does not distribute Communion when he celebrates Mass in public. Now Sandro Magister of L’Espresso explains this new papal policy.In 2010, then-Cardinal Bergoglio remarked …

More…

It’s an interesting perspective and one that I can totally understand. Sometimes people can upset you so much that perhaps its best to leave rather than have a scene.

Somebody needs to hold me down.

I am so glad to read this. Thank you Pope Francis.:thumbsup:

Good stuff :slight_smile:

A lot of politicians are opportunists and may use Holy Communion as a chance to get a publicity photo op with a bishop. It sounds like he’s onto them. We are blessed to have Pope Francis. :slight_smile:

Shows that Pope Francis doesn’t want to make any mistake in giving Communion to somebody who is not in repentance for sin.

What about the other priests handing out communion at the Pope’s masses? If I am understanding this correctly, he allows that. I’m a bit confused as to what the goal is here.

I think he’s trying to avoid the scandal that might appear if individuals publically flouting Church law approach the pope for communion and use the opportunity as a photo op. A picture of Joe Biden receiving communion from the hands of the pope, for example, could be used by some to argue that the Church has no right to deny communion to anyone. Like, “See? Even the pope thinks Joe Biden should receive!”

But is a photo the only way to say this though? Isn’t the question still out there when someone like Biden receives at a papal mass even when the Pope didn’t distribute it?

Things are a bit confusing here in that regard. Politicians and unfair employers (seems like they’re the focus of the article) will simply go elsewhere for communion to get a photo-op. And put the onus on that priest, bishop, or EMHC.

Wasn’t there a crisis a while back where people would actually keep the Eucharist as a “souvenir,” because they received it from the pope?

Receiving Communion from Joe Schmo deacon doesn’t have the same cache as receiving it from the Archbishop. The photographers aren’t interested in snapping photos of a politician receiving Communion from just an ordinary priest. Both Biden and Pelosi received Communion at the inaugural Mass in March and I cannot find a picture of it. There would have been a big kerfuffle if they received it from Pope Francis. (And no the Pope wasn’t going to create a diplomatic incident by denying dignitaries Communion. He likely doesn’t keep up on the positions on abortion held by American politicians.). This strikes me as a good way to go.

From the article in the OP, this was the policy when he was when then-Cardinal Bergoglio, was in Argentina where capitalists and politicians would use the photo-ops of them receiving Holy Communion from the Cardinal as part of their propaganda campaign.

I less I missed it, I didn’t see where Pope Francis is going to use the same policy as Pope.

Jim

Maybe one day some of the poor and sick could be the ones he gives communion to. That might further the message.

And you don’t think that the same wouldn’t apply by degrees of a thousand with the Pope. He hasn’t actually done so. It is actually a good policy and perhaps one all bishops should adopt. In fact, maybe it can become a written guideline. It takes the bishops outside of both the political debates surrounding this as well as the whole “how Communion should be distributed” nitpicking. There is no way that a more centrist Cardinals, especially those in the UCCB is going to deny a pro-choice politician Communion. This is a way to prevent the photo op.

kag1982

And you don’t think that the same wouldn’t apply by degrees of a thousand with the Pope.

I don’t know, but becoming Pope makes a man look at what he does and says in a different light.

I won’t assume that he’ll follow the same policy.

For one, when the Pope celebrates Mass, it’s my understanding that only certain people are allowed to go up and receive from Him. It’s could be that politicians and such would be excluded from receiving from him, or if he does as he’s been doing, he’ll surprise everyone and go down among the people sitting in the back or standing along the barrier walls.

He hasn’t actually done so. It is actually a good policy and perhaps one all bishops should adopt.

When it’s applicable. We can’t compare the politics and social status of the elite in Argentina with the rest of the world.

In fact, maybe it can become a written guideline.

It will never happen. Each Bishop has the liberty to make his own decisions on such matters.

It takes the bishops outside of both the political debates surrounding this as well as the whole “how Communion should be distributed” nitpicking. There is no way that a more centrist Cardinals, especially those in the UCCB is going to deny a pro-choice politician Communion. This is a way to prevent the photo op.

It might or might not be. I don’t see many Catholic Politicians using photos of themselves receiving Holy Communion from a Bishop, for a political photo-opt.

It might happen, and it may be that I’m not be paying attention to such things when they do.

1. Francis actually hasn’t distributed any Communion to lay folks… Just the deacons serving with him. People have found it odd. This is why this digging came up. And yeah due to security, that people are brought up. The other way you are suggesting would result in a stampede. Receiving communion at some of those outdoor Masses looks more like a zoo than a reverent process already.

2. So Biden, Cuomo, etc. don’t show up at Masses to burnish their credentials?? There are quite a few Biden photo ops. Even a Catholic politician who has the right position on abortion might use a Mass to remind constituents.

3. It really does keep Francis from being embroiled in political, moral, and liturgical issues. It is a good policy and one that I never heard of before. Hopefully, more bishops will adopt this policy as well as some of the other Pope Francis innovations… humbler lifestyle, etc.

I’d much rather see not allowing anyone to give communion to pro-abort politicians. I just can not and will not get on board with political and diplomatic concerns trumping morality. I hope that this “policy”, however, is a step in the right direction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.