Pope Francis' first homily

en.radiovaticana.va/articolo.asp?c=673526

A sample:

[quote=Pope Francis]Third, professing: we can walk as much we want, we can build many things, but if we do not confess Jesus Christ, nothing will avail. We will become a pitiful NGO, but not the Church, the Bride of Christ. When one does not walk, one stalls. When one does not built on solid rocks, what happens? What happens is what happens to children on the beach when they make sandcastles: everything collapses, it is without consistency. When one does not profess Jesus Christ - I recall the phrase of Leon Bloy – “Whoever does not pray to God, prays to the devil.” When one does not profess Jesus Christ, one professes the worldliness of the devil.
[/quote]

There’s definitely a tendency today to try and make the Church a “pitiful NGO.”

Yup. What a wonderful and simple (NB: nolt simple as in dumb, but as in without a bunch of flourishes) and beautiful homily.

I am amazed at his first homily!!! He speaks of the Church Bride of Christ which such tenderness and love, and yet his words are strong!

This Gospel continues with a special situation. The same Peter who confessed Jesus Christ, says, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. I will follow you, but let us not speak of the Cross. This has nothing to do with it.” He says, “I’ll follow you on other ways, that do not include the Cross.” When we walk without the Cross, when we build without the Cross, and when we profess Christ without the Cross, we are not disciples of the Lord. We are worldly, we are bishops, priests, cardinals, Popes, but not disciples of the Lord.

:knight2:

When one does not profess Jesus Christ - I recall the phrase of Leon Bloy – “Whoever does not pray to God, prays to the devil.” When one does not profess Jesus Christ, one professes the worldliness of the devil.

:knight2:

This feels like fighting talk from a humble servant

Wonderful. Allays some of my fear from yesterday that he might be too humble to confront the errors of this world. Good stuff!

“When one does not profess Jesus Christ - I recall the phrase of Leon Bloy – “Whoever does not pray to God, prays to the devil.” When one does not profess Jesus Christ, one professes the worldliness of the devil.”

I can see the news headlines now: “New Pope says non-Christians are devil worshipers!” :smiley:

That quote really is at the heart of the problems with the LCWR, too many orders and too many priests: doing good and serving the poor is certainly an important part of the Christian life, but without Christ - without the Faith - it amounts to little more than being social workers who wear bad clothes and don’t date.

Frankly, it’s at the heart of why so many orders and the religious life in general lost so many members - they denigrate(d) and often lost the faith, so why not just be social workers???..Then you don’t have those bothersome vows and old men in Rome telling you what Truth is…

I found the homily edifying and impressive. Very forceful and appropriate.

Just posted the same quote to “Post here if you love Pope Francis”

So impressed with the focus of his first homily. As the OP noted, there is too much focus on being just another organization that has soup kitchens and clothing drives.

So far I am more delighted with each additoinal bit of information on the new Holy Father.
Lisa

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.