Pope Francis: "God is not a divine being" ?!

It’s all over the news today that the Pope made the above statement. As with a lot of things the media reports on, it sounds suspect. Here’s the quote:

"God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life,” the pope said. The pope was addressing the plenary assembly of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, which gathered at the Vatican to discuss “Evolving Concepts of Nature.”

I can’t find the full text of his speech anywhere. The closest I could get was the Pontifical Academy of Sciences website which has a brochure of the conference here: casinapioiv.va/content/dam/accademia/booklet/booklet_nature.pdf

There is no such statement in this brochure, but it is not the full text of his speech. If anyone can find the full text of the speech, would you please post it? That might clarify this strange statement. I hope he didn’t say that. It just gives fodder to the sedevacantist and atheist crazies.

Given that “or a magician” follows it, I would assume the Holy Father meant “God is not a god” as in what we see portrayed in various pagan faiths and fantasy novels/movies. He isn’t some man-made idea or embodiment of some ideal.

God is three divine persons in the Trinity.

E così la creazione è andata avanti per secoli e secoli, millenni e millenni finché è diventata quella che conosciamo oggi, proprio perché Dio non è un demiurgo o un mago, ma il Creatore che dà l’essere a tutti gli enti".

asianews.it/notizie-it/Papa-Francesco:-Benedetto-XVI-un-grande-Papa,-per-intelligenza,-contributo-alla-teologia-e-amore-per-la-Chiesa-32537.html

There has been some discussions how the above is best translated; “…**God is not a demiurge or a magician, but the Creator ** who gives being to all…”

OP translated quote is wrong. Probably based on something like ‘Google Translate.’

Being discussed here:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=917740

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.