Pope Francis : "God willed the plurality of religions"

Everyone, and that means everyone is saved through the Catholic Church whether they want to or not. Why not enter the Catholic Church now!?!

Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

////////////////////

Knowledge comes to the individual through faith and faith comes from God. It is His gift to the individual. It is His revelation to the individual, however that may happen.

Jim

There are impediments for many people which keep them from entering the Catholic Church.

Those impediments are usually caused by us, not God nor the person who can’t accept the Church as being true.

Jim

I agree. (Which could be a baptism of desire)

Actually the original is in Italian, French was just the translation one up from the English. However I did read it in French as it’s closer to Italian than English. There’s really nothing controversial. One, it’s part of God’s permissive will that we have freedom and that includes religious liberty. Two God seeks us, just as much as we seek him. He wants us to seek him freely, not through coercion, and the document makes that abundantly clear. Lastly, there are elements of Truth, big elements, in all Abrahamic religions, and even in other belief systems. Think of the “Golden Rule” for instance, and for Abrahamic believers, belief in one, unique God who made us in His image. The statement wants people of all faiths to consider each other brothers and sisters.

The common elements between faiths bind us all, albeit some imperfectly, to the One True Church, the one founded by Christ. None are automatically excluded from salvation even if bound imperfectly to Christ’s Church. But it is through His Church that the graces for salvation will be distributed. Sacramentally for Catholics, the Orthodox, etc., and by means known only to Him for others. Nor are Catholics guaranteed salvation, if we close our hearts to His grace.

Years ago I was introduced to the book, Christ the Eternal Tao
by Damascene Hieromonk

It’s by an Orthodox priest who is also an expert on the Taoism. He compares the teachings of Lau Tzu to that of Jesus and the similarities are amazing.

Also, he does a good job explaining to the reader how those individuals who came long before Jesus Christ, we able to receive truth, through the Holy Spirit, because in God’s mercy, he provides those with sincere hearts, truth.

Taoism is six hundred years older than Christianity.

We believe that the Catholic Church has the fullness of “Revealed” truth. But we don’t have all truth that has yet to be revealed to us.

However, I believe as Teilhard De Chardin wrote, that humans have been evolving spiritually for about 10,000 years and continue to do so.

Pope Francis is an example of an evolved spiritual teacher.

Jim

No, God doesn’t will everyone to be Catholic. The answer to why God doesn’t will that everyone be Catholic can be found in the document.

Which document?

A DOCUMENT ON
HUMAN FRATERNITY
FOR WORLD PEACE AND LIVING TOGETHER

… the document that is the subject of this thread

(see the link in the OP)

Revelation 2:27

There was a time we lived in a society based on what the church said on matters of morality religion and rulers.

Revelation 20:7

The chaos we live in now.

You merely had a different type of chaos in many places.

The document talks about different evils, the goodness of religious freedom, and that religion is a good.

The document doesn’t touch that God wills all to be Catholic. Once again, people of different religion s CAN be saved, but God still wills all to enter the Catholic Church.

Maybe we are on the same page here but just not understanding the different aspects of the will of God.

You’re right we are in a whole new kind of chaos right now but similar to the days of Noah

If you are literally applying those verses to today that means the devil had been bound for the last approx. 1000 years. I thought the devil himself brought on the Reformation etc.

No, not really. Noah is not a story I believe is literally true anyway, it is a common story which appears in the myths of a variety of people, including the Christian myth and the Jewish one, as well as the Islamic one and faiths that predate all three.

A perfect example of taking one sentence and missing the point of a long document.

This is the modus operandi of LifeSiteNews, Church Militant, and the like. Is that, by any chance, how this sentence came to your attention?

I’m on mobile and can’t quote - look at post 51 of the thread.

I’m simply curious and wanted to start dialog. If that offended, sorry…?

I see Post 51 by Tis_Bearself.

I am not offended. It’s just that I am still reading the Holy Father’s letter, haven’t got to the passage you quoted – which is a good topic for discussion – and the letter seems to be about other matters worthy of consideration.

There’s one by me in that region… mobile is infuriating

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.