Pope Francis : "God willed the plurality of religions"

Pope Francis signed document saying that God willed the “pluralism and diversity of religions”.
From Catholic Soteriology I knew God willed the pluralism and diversity of religions long before Pope Francis signed the above document, it is plain and simple.

The Divine will is cause of all things that happens.
All things means all things, includes God’s design/ plan of the pluralism and diversity of religions.
His wisdom He so orders all events within the universe that the end for which it was created may be realized.

From all events, the design/ plan of the pluralism and diversity of religions and their operations CAN NOT be excluded.

He directs all (includes every events/ operations of all diverse religions), even evil and sin itself, to the final end for which the universe was created.

Hence if this divine influence stopped, every operations (includes all events/ operations of all diverse religions) would stop.

Every events/ operations, therefore, of anything is traced back to Him as its cause. (Summa Contra Gentiles, Book III.)
Hence Providence is at once universal, immediate, efficacious, yet all alike postulate Divine concurrence and receive their powers of operation from Him (I, Q. xxii, a. 3; Q. ciii, a. 6); efficacious, in that all things minister to God’s final purpose, a purpose which cannot be frustrated (Contra Gent., III, xciv);
As we see above, probably Catholic Soteriology is far better than the other religion’s Soteriology combined together.
God bless

@Vico best post in this thread. I should say, however, that I have regrettably come across one sect that had nothing but evil to it, although presenting itself as good. And I do hope the Catholic Church doesn’t become too permissive in institutionally engaging with those kinds of evil.

If God didn’t will the plurality of religions, then he sure set up the world in a funny way…

It’s couched in a discussion of individual freedom, in the context of choosing one’s religion. This is precisely what the Church teaches!

From the Catechism:

Now, to say that God willed human freedom, knowing that He was allowing humans to make their own choices, and (being omniscient) also knowing what those choices would be, it follows that “pluralism and diversity of religions … are willed by God in His wisdom.”

Jesus himself said, "Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. From now on a household of five will be divided, three against two and two against three; father will be divided against his son and a son against his father, a mother against her daughter and a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”

So, no… this statement doesn’t need to be “reconciled with Church teaching” – it already is Church teaching!

Maybe in regards to there possibly being a “God-gene” that might have been programmed into us by the “Boss” may it be compatible.

I don´t think it is. It´s a problem connected to him as a pope.

The problem is the document does it backwards (maybe that’s from Islamic thought influencing it?). The document’s reasoning is that since the plurality of religions is God’s will, therefore we can’t force someone to convert. But the Christian position is the reverse. It is the Christian position that we can’t force someone to convert and therefore the practical consequence will be a plurality of religions. It mixes up what God wills antecedently and what follows as a consequence.

Huh? Are we reading the same document?

Francis starts with faith and the human fraternity that proceeds from it. It continues with the notion of freedom, which gives rise to diverse opinion.

That’s how the Catechism teaches it, too – freedom and human dignity require us to allow people to make their own choice of belief.

Another way to think of it.

There is one God, who desires that all people be saved.
Through Jesus Christ, God gave a variety of ways for people to be saved. The Word of God. The natural order. Humanity that we share with Jesus.

All these are meant to be part of the Church. But they also exist outside the Church’s borders.We are delighted by these things, and love them within the Church, so we should love them when we find them outside the Church.

Muslims share our belief in one God. They recognize in humanity a dignity that is a gift from God, though they may not see it as a reflection of the Son’s glory as we do. When we share the intimacy of our relationship with Jesus, they gain a greater appreciation for humanity. And we hear their belief in God’s blessing on humanity, it deepens our relationship with God. Fraternity moves us toward each other, even if it does not make us one.

We can hope that helping them to a better understanding of God’s grace will increase our understanding. The gifts God has given them were always meant to enrich us as well. The deeper and broader our fraternity is, the closer we come to the goal of bringing all together in Christ.

Yes, it says the right to freedom is derived from God’s will for religious plurality and therefore coercion must be rejected.

The document says: “Freedom is a right of every person: each individual enjoys the freedom of belief, thought, expression and action.” What is the basis for man having such freedom? It tells us that this freedom is derived from God wisely willing religious pluralism: “The pluralism and the diversity of religions…are willed by God in His wisdom, through which He created human beings. This divine wisdom is the source from which the right to freedom of belief…derives.” Finally it provides the practical consequence of this: “Therefore, the fact that people are forced to adhere to a certain religion or culture must be rejected…;”

Again, what’s given as the practical consequence should be the willed principle and vice versa. God in his wisdom wills man to be free, therefore religious pluralism derives from this wise choice, not the other way around.

God doesn’t say “I desire religious pluralism, therefore I will make man free.” He says “I desire man to adhere to Me freely, therefore there will be religious pluralism as a consequence.”

This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.