Pope Francis I condemns Catholic splinter group’s Kristallnacht memorial protests

(JNS.org) Pope Francis I has strongly condemned the actions of the ultra-traditionalist Catholic splinter during a Kristallnacht memorial service, saying that “aggression cannot be an act of faith.”

During a special memorial ceremony on Nov. 12 attended by Catholic, Jewish, and Protestant leaders in Buenos Aires to mark the 75th anniversary of Kristallnacht, a small group of protestors from the ultra-traditionalist Catholic group Society of St. Pius X disrupted the proceedings, shouting “followers of false gods must be kept out of the sacred temple.”

Pope Francis told a group of Latin American religious leaders visiting the Vatican that preaching intolerance “is a form of militancy that must be overcome.”

Claudio Epelman, executive director of Latin American Jewish Congress, praised Pope Francis’s comments.

“With this meeting, the Pope has once again shown his strong, personal commitment to building bridges between religions and to working together with all of us to secure peace,” Edelman said in a statement.

jns.org/news-briefs/2013/11/19/pope-francis-i-condemns-catholic-splinter-groups-kristallnacht-memorial-protests

This is very good to hear!

I thought Interfaith Services were not allowed? I thought they were heretical?:confused:

You thought that a Kristallnacht memorial service would be heretical? Where exactly did you hear that?

Drop the 1 from the Popes title

I haven’t seen this reported by any Catholic News Agency. If someone has link to one, can you please provide it? Thank you!:slight_smile:

what is kristallnacht?

Kristallnacht, literally, “Night of Crystal,” is often referred to as the “Night of Broken Glass.” The name refers to the wave of violent anti-Jewish pogroms which took place on November 9 and 10, 1938, throughout Germany, annexed Austria, and in areas of the Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia recently occupied by German troops.

Instigated primarily by Nazi Party officials and members of the SA (Sturmabteilungen: literally Assault Detachments, but commonly known as Storm Troopers) and Hitler Youth, Kristallnacht owes its name to the shards of shattered glass that lined German streets in the wake of the pogrom—broken glass from the windows of synagogues, homes, and Jewish-owned businesses plundered and destroyed during the violence.

ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005201

thanks for the info, sounds horrible

It is the night where the reign of Hitler’s Nazi terror began against the Jews. The streets were filled with the broken shards of glass(crystal) that night, from all the smashed windows of Jewish shops.

It is a solemn night of remembrance, like a funeral memorial for the millions of Jews that lost their lives in Europe as a result of being Jewish.

It is the deepest form of disrespect therefore that this would become a venue for protest.

I love the Pope’s assertion that “Agression cannot be an act of faith.” I also remember the suffering endured by our Jewish brothers and sisters on Kristallnacht and pray for deliverance from all evil.

Hooray for Francis! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.