Pope Francis: I feel like my papacy will last only four or five years

Francis made the remark in his most candid interview yet

Pope Francis has said that he “did not know what to say” when greeting the world from the balcony overlooking St Peter’s Square after his election two years ago.

He made the remark in a candid and wide-ranging interview with the Mexican broadcaster Televisa.

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2015/03/13/pope-francis-on-st-peters-balcony-i-did-not-know-what-to-say/

I selfishly hope not.

On another note: mmmm pizza. I just love this pope!

Come Holy Spirit.

Peace

I certainly hope that Pope Francis will continue for a good while; may God guard him and give him strength.

It has upset me today that I have seen messages from ‘traditional’ catholics (not on CAF, but elsewhere) praying that he will step down soon. I will keep praying for God to bless and guide His Holiness in all he does and for as long as he can!

Of the homilies, he said: “I do not know if they are the majority – but they do not reach the heart. They are lessons in theology and are abstract or long and this is why I devoted so much space to them in Evangeli Gaudium. Typically evangelicals are close to the people, they aim for the heart and prepare their homilies really well. I think we have to have a conversion in this. The Protestant concept of the homily is much stronger than the Catholic. It’s almost a sacrament.”

I’ve always thought this myself. The homily is a vital preparation for receiving the Eucharist and it should rightly make us hungry for what we are about to receive. When the Pope says that the Protestant homilies are almost like a sacrament, I feel that that is dead on since that is its purpose (in the Catholic Mass). A few years ago I did a weeks directed silent retreat at a Jesuit monastery where Mass was celebrated everyday at midday. The homilies were short but directed to the work we were doing as directees. It was so moving receiving afterwards and during the final hymn myself and others there were moved to tears each day.

Speaking of hunger, how are we doing in solving that problem, as well as poverty and homelessness, around the world? Wasn’t that the central message of this Papacy?

It’s funny to hear of people trying to tell God what He should do in their prayers! Pope Francis’ legacy is already great. Everything he says banishes some darkness inside me and Jesus seems much more present to me. St JPII made Our Lady much more real and present for me in a similar sort of way.

Maybe his doctors have told him that?

Francis Expects Short Papacy

Pope Francis has marked the second anniversary of his election as the leader of the Roman Catholic church by saying he has a feeling that his pontificate will be a short one, lasting perhaps about four or five years.

A generally interesting interview with a man who is changing minds of Catholics and others around the world. Even hinting that he might do as Benedict did – step down and let another take his place.

Read more @ ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/mexican-tv-interview-francis-reviews-pontificate-says-expect-brief-papacy

I hope he doesn’t do what Pope Benedict did. I feel like Benedict should be regarded as that once in a very long time exception. I don’t want the Papacy to become some musical chairs office that you retire from like any other job.

Well, he is in his 70’s. I am 63 and don’t have the energy I used to have! If I do a lot one day, I need to rest the next day. He has a lot of responsibilities and if he travels - he has busy schedules. So only he knows what his stamina is. I do not want the Papal office to be musical chairs either. I think he has done great so far.

Maybe the pope’s psychic!

I hope no one harms him; he’s so sweet.

One might suspect he has had some kind of premonition, talking about assassination just recently, and now talking about a shortened papacy.

This Pope is a very insightful person and he is quite right. But i dont think he will be going anywhere.

The fact is that Jesus will be returning in a few years and he will probably want to take over the leadership of the Church. Pope Francis can take it easy after that happens.

From the BBC:

A papal conclave elected Pope Francis as Benedict XVI’s successor on 13 March 2013. He became the first Latin American to lead the Church.

During the interview he admitted he was “surprised” by the decision and had only carried a small suitcase to Rome, with the expectation he would return to Buenos Aires.

His simple style has won him praise from Catholics, as have his promises to reform the Curia - the Church’s internal government.

However, he said two years of his papacy had now passed and he felt it would not continue for very much longer.

“I do not know. But I feel that the Lord has placed me here for a short time, and nothing more,” he added.

“But it is a feeling. I always leave the possibility open.”

He told Televisa that he “did not mind being Pope”, but missed the anonymity associated with life as a priest.

“The only thing I would like is to go out one day, without being recognised, and go to a pizzeria for a pizza.”

bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-31875507

Praying for Pope Francis. I think he is a remarkable man and hope that he remains Pope for many years to come, but this makes it sound unlikely.

Perhaps, but I pray he has many years left whether he is Pope or not.

In a few years, huh?
I hope the news cameras are ready!

Yeah, I’m sure the pope will have earned a much-deserved vacation after Jesus comes and takes over. He’s been doing great.

In just two years he has done so much.

I sure hope that we have many more years with Pope Francis.

The Christ won’t be recognized immediately, but the cameras will be ready when they finally do realize who he is.

But there will be plenty of time for pictures and videos, I believe he plans to stick around for a long while.

I don’t think this Pope wants a vacation, but at least the pressure will be off him.

The news agencies are already spinning this story, it’d be almost hilarious if it wasn’t so ill intended.

This does raise an interesting question though since we do have two living Popes, one retired but who really knows what that means. If something happens to Pope Francis I have to think Pope Benedict becomes the sitting Pope.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.