Pope Francis laments children being taught gender is a choice

VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis has lamented that children, as he puts it, are being taught at school that gender can be a choice.

Francis said: “Today, in schools they are teaching this to children – to children! – that everyone can choose their gender.”

Without specifying, he blamed this on textbooks supplied by “persons and institutions who donate money.”

cbsnews.com/news/pope-francis-laments-children-being-taught-gender-is-a-choice/

I don’t always agree on a everything that Pipe Francis has to say but he is spot on about this. Too bad liberals will keep trying to paint him as the gay loving, open, leftist man that they like to paint him as…one of my friends posted an article the other day about his views on abortion and said: "I thought he was ok with gay marriage and women’s choices. Guess not!! I have lost all respect!’ It took everything in me not to go off on her.

:thumbsup:

The Holy Father is spot-on not only about the evils of this, but about who is pushing and funding it.

Why is it that countries which receive foreign aid from certain NGOs suddenly start developing “gay rights” and “LGBT rights” movements out of nowhere?

It’s a deep-rooted, vicious process. :frowning:

Ideological colonizacion comes in many ways.
It takes huge efforts to keep it balanced…
On the one hand,we are all interconnected,and there are much benefits in that,on the other hand we try and stop every now and then and kind of ask ourselves,do we really need this?
You would be amazed at how much influence in unnecessary "things " in various senses,countries buy because it comes from the first world.
Some fit perfectly in in US but cannot work here ,for example. In terms of objects and ideas.
We have to be careful about what we both “import” and “export”.

Oh,my…it is a daily effort.

Another news link here.
usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/08/02/pope-francis-children-gender/87956794/

Now the challenge is those who say: “Of course it’s not a choice; some folks just have the wrong body!” :shrug:

ICXC NIKA

Huh?

Who is teaching children that gender is a choice? Which schools and which textbooks?

The whole point about transgenders etc is that what they are thinking and feeling and self-identifying on the inside is not matching with the outside.

Had they been able to choose, they would have chosen to be born in the other gender.

That was my first reaction as well. The only choice that there is is for transgenders to try and modify their bodies and/or appearances in order to bring them closer to how they self-identify inside. But I’m not positive that’s what the Pope was trying to convey.:confused:

No,no…it is also a trend I have also read about.
You do not condition them in any way,toys,dress ,anything since birth so they can “” choose" their identity.
He may be referring to a bit if all in this gender theory.
I am far from an expert here and frankly I dismissed it then,believing it was just one " crazy idea" among many. Now it seems that it has become books even…

There are those who teach that a persons gender can be something other than what their body indicates. That, of course, is an error and what the Pope is teaching against.

You said it best.

Where’s the element of choice? I’m naturally heterosexual through no merit of my own, that’s how I am. The closest we can find to sexual identity disorder in the CC is homosexuality:2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained.

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

Being attracted to same-sex people is not a choice. My being attracted to women is not a choice. Acting on my heterosexual attraction is a choice, the only choice for homosexuals is whether they act on their attraction or not. As for transgenderism, I believe it affects a small minority in the population, but I believe it’s genuine. With all the things that can go wrong physically (Google images can be absolutely shocking), how does the Pope know it’s impossible for someone to have all the internal makeup of a girl yet have a male body? I believe transgenderism will likely be mentioned alongside homosexuality in the next Catechism. BTW I’m not condoning either homosexuality or body mutilation (in the case of transgender people), neither is the Catholic Church, obviously. But the element of choice is simply nonexistent.

Indeed. The solid body should be worth at least as much as the feelings.

ICXC NIKA

What would happen if your internal make-up did not match the gender of your body? I assume you’re a male, what if you had a female body? If you think that can’t happen to any human being, what do you base your opinion on?

One thing is to face a diffficulty,and that I personally understand,another thing is to create difficulties in children.
What is the purpose of idealising choice to the point that it is choice itself the target in the end?
That,I sincerely,do not get. Like the example I gave about children. I do not get it. At all

Oh you meant the social experiment where boys were encouraged to play with dolls and girls with trucks to prove that gender was malleable and a social construct? i faintly recall having heard about that. Transgenderism, I would argue, is a wholly different issue, though. We live in a messed up world, A messed up world produces messed up people, some more so than others. That’s my belief. Various hormones in utero can have decisive effects on the sexual development of the foetus. That’s one hypothesis for homosexual or effeminate people, or conversely, women who are both masculine and lesbians.

Yes,that particular example left me like :what??

We do not need to mess our children up…what for?

Choice has become an idol in itself,with no purpose but to prove,Heaven knows who…it is the summit .

I could only talk to one of my sons about his homosexual friends,and some relatives,after months and months until he got it that I loved them and much. How could I not?  Only then would he lower defenses so as to simply hear what I had to say.

Both news articles posted thus far only have brief quotes on what Pope Francis said. I was hoping his statement would touch on how this applies to people who are, due to genetic abnormalities, born with physical aspects of both males and females (chromosomes, organs, etc - officially known as “intersex”). For example: Are they allowed to choose a specific gender? Should they choose whichever one they are closer to physically (and/or mentally?) (assuming this is easy to determine)?

I don’t want to derail this thread. But life can be confusing and difficult enough for people in this situation. And general statements like this which don’t go into detail into possible exceptions or lack of exceptions (assuming the articles didn’t skip any such details) could give the wrong idea, and don’t make things any easier for them…

If you’ve been observing the news over the last year or so there are forces and institutions that propose gender as a malleable and plastic thing subject to choosing by the individual.

Had they been able to choose, they would have chosen to be born in the other gender.

Proves the Pope’s point. A person does not choose male/female.

Such a person has a mental illness which needs to be acknowledged and treated. Their brain is not recognizing reality.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.