Pope Francis – married men could be ordained priests if world's bishops agree on it

I wonder about this aspect as well. I hear people grumble about the Church always asking for more money, and yet they want married priests? I realize there are exceptions, and I know there are terrific married priests, but I’m not sure about the prudence of it being a norm, at least not here in America. St. Paul seemed pretty positive about the benefits of celibacy. It also makes sense that if the priest is in persona Christi, then celibacy is a powerful witness to that.

It poses an interesting discussion cast in the light of our contraceptive culture though. I read an article written by a Lutheran about ministry and contraception. He posited that part of the wide-spread acceptance of contraception within Protestantism is due to the married pastor and demanding family ethic of being a model family. It’s more difficult to be open to and father a lot of children, while being the father of your larger family in your church. (If anyone is interested in it, I’ll provide the link. It’s a very interesting read.) I also think the priestly duties of being available for sacraments is a bit different from some of the Evangelical pastor experience, but that may just be my ignorance speaking.

On the other hand, married priests might be a powerful witness to the goodness of family life, which is very needed. I’m hesitant though. My dad is retired military, so we certainly learned to sacrifice and learned a great deal. I still think it’s different from priestly ministry though. Just more to think about.

Well, it may be time to throw off the influence of Western Protestantism and return to our roots.

If only it were that simple. :shrug:

I’m not getting confused at all I personally think priests should be able to marry, also I think married men should be able to become priests, nothing confusing in that. I think the problem would be that people don’t want married priests.

How many priests has left to get married and have children, maybe if there was ever a day that everyone agreed some might come back, there has to be a way forward as there aren’t enough priests to go around as there use to be in some countries. Where I live we have four priest being cut down to two and they will have to ran around covering all the churches without doing more the three masses on a Sunday.

And in these woeful economic times how is a parish to afford 4 priest all with families to support? Families bring a whole host of problems with them. Properly encouraging vocations in our young people would solve everything.

Inevitable follow up question to come (more of a high percentage “prediction” than prophecy really):

:eek: - “Could same sex married men … (or women) etc. etc. … if the Bishops agree?”

… :hmmm: mmmm - (NO!) < In case any took THAT Q seriously.

Great suggestions …

I would add that - in reference to ordaining deacons there should be no reason we cannot ordain married PD’s who are older and who’s children are grown.

Peace
James

Thats four priest covering 5 churches then in the summer will be two priests covering five churches, not four priest in one parish

And so four families for those parishes to support, as well? Not workable when they can hardly keep priests now.

Dr. Peters has been responded to by the Vatican and he is wrong. Men who are not celibate are not required to exercise ppc.

Then I guess his point is why don’t they change the canon.

Most rectories I’ve seen aren’t big enough for a family to live in – they only accommodate one or two priests. Priests don’t have to pay rent to live in these rectories, but they certainly couldn’t afford to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment or house.

Priests in my diocese simply aren’t paid enough to support a family.
Parishioners cannot afford to put more in the collection basket.

As for seminary training, it’s one thing for the diocese to foot the bill for the single men attending them. But to pay for housing and all other expenses for a seminarian’s family would be quite an investment.

People have been teaching at private schools for decades, and private schools don’t pay teachers enough to raise a family on. We can’t assume that the priest’s wife won’t be working, and we shouldn’t expect the family’s lifestyle to conform to the unrealistically wealthy standard of many modern cities and suburbs.

Why would you have to? Just make arrangements for married men to go through the program at a slower rate, and expect them to hold down an outside job during seminary. :shrug:

From what I hear, we have been! :thumbsup:

And I certainly think we should continue.

We are! :thumbsup:

patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2012/04/interested-in-becoming-a-married-catholic-priest/

The Vatican has stated the canons don’t need changing. There are exceptions in the canons for those who are not celibate.

Let me start by stating that I am quite happy wearing a dalmatic and have no ambition to wear a chasable.

There is no need to enlarge rectories or budgets. Either way this would include only a relatively small number of men and there is no reason why these priests couldn’t be employed either in the Church at full time positions already there or work in the secular world to provide for a family.

To think that these men will be moving into rectories with their wives and little crumb crunchers is trying to place the appearance of the current parish priest onto this possibility of a “new type” of priest.

I see no reason that if I were ordained into the priesthood that basically the only thing that would change is the fact that my authority to preside over the sacraments would grow. That’s about it. Eucharist and confession and anointing of the sick would be added to list already there. I don’t see anything more than that happening.

I owne a home and my wife teaches school and serves as youth minister. I ask you all who worry about rectories, church property at death, and money to pay me, what in my personal status would change if I were one of the few chosen to be ordained priests?

I don’t think much would change.

In my every-day experience, when people casually suggest we should have more married priests, the undercurrent seems to be that celibacy is a bad or unnatural thing, and that celibacy should be the exception to the rule. I don’t think that’s the best grounds for a wide-spread change in policy. But, I’m just a laywoman. :slight_smile:

I agree with you 100% if it were to be the future it would be a very limited number and only by need of a certain area. Celibate priest would remain as it should, the nirm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.