Pope Francis: "Mary teaches us

...The Virgin Mary teaches us what it means to live in the Holy Spirit and what it means to welcome the newness of God in our life. She conceived Jesus by the work of the Spirit, and every Christian, each one of us, is called to welcome the Word of God, to welcome Jesus in ourselves and then bring him to everyone. Mary invoked the Spirit with the Apostles in the upper room: every time that we come together in prayer, we are supported by the spiritual presence of the Mother of Jesus, to receive the gift of the Spirit and to have the ability to bear witness to the risen Jesus...
Dear Brothers and Sisters,

The above quote from Pope Francis is taken from his Angelus address of yesterday. How true it is: "Mary teaches us what it means to welcome the newness of God in our lives"! She Who first welcomed the Incarnate God, by the power of the Holy Spirit is our Mother and Model.

Our Lady of Light, Spouse of the Holy Spirit, teach us to live in the Holy Spirit, and to welcome the newness of God in our lives.
O Jesus, living in Mary, come and live in your servants...
Come Holy Spirit...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful quote by Pope Francis. As I am learning more about my faith and Catholicism I have noticed that I turn to Mary more for direction on how to follow God’s will. She is the perfect example of living truly for God and not oneself.

:thumbsup:

I am almost guilty of living up to the Protestant claim that we Catholics worship Mary. I adore her as my dear Mother in heaven (but not, of course, with the adoration that is due to God alone). And I have a perfect model for adoring her, that of Jesus, her Son, who adores her like no other. It’s a wonderful family we have been adopted into and I am so much looking forward to all of us getting together sometime in the not so distant future. Put that on your “to do” list. Time and date with be provided later. :slight_smile:

:thumbsup: Daily rosary has really changed my life. If the Blessed Mother of our Lord lived such humility and obedience then who am I to do anything else?

:thumbsup:

Just wanted to mention in the “Bible” series that recently aired, I was confused when the show didn’t have Mary in the upper room when the Holy Spirit came to the Apostles and it seems our Dear Pope Francis has addressed that: “…Mary invoked the Spirit with the Apostles in the upper room…”

Dear Wedgewood,

Thanks for your reply, and interesting observation. My husband and I intended to watch the series but never got to it. I’m sorry they missed that detail from Scripture that the Holy Spirit descended upon Mary and the disciples! I’m happy Pope Francis clarified it for anyone who may have seen only the show and not read much in Scripture.

A lesson for all of us ! Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Dear Surfing theTiber,

Thanks for your reply. You are not the first one to have his/her life changed by the Rosary! :slight_smile: I doubt you are the last to be changed by the Rosary when prayed.

Our Lady knows that if we truly meditate upon the Mysteries of Jesus’ Life and her life with Him, we cannot remain the same. It is no wonder to me that she told the children at Fatima to pray the Rosary daily, and her Immaculate Heart would triumph.

Someone asked Sister Lucia ( the oldest of the three children at Fatima), or perhaps Sister merely was musing on this when she wrote her book, " ‘Calls’ from the Message of Fatima": Why didn’t Our Lady ask for daily Mass instead of a daily Rosary? Sister replied that often it is impossible for children or adults to attend daily Mass but everyone can find time to pray the Rosary.

Dear James,

Thanks for your reply. You are correct in adding that there is an adoration that is due to God alone, and we can never give anyone, not even Mary Immaculate Mother of God, that kind of adoration. The Church uses three different Greek terms: Latria, Hyperdulia, and Dulia; these distinctions were made chiefly by St. Augustine as Latria: adoration or worship due to God alone; Hyperduliwe owe Saints. Dulia - veneration given to Saints.

St. Louis de Montfort is very careful in distinguishing the infinite distance between God and creatures; in [True Devotion](“14. With the whole Church I acknowledge that Mary, being a mere creature fashioned by the hands of God is, compared to his infinite majesty, less than an atom, or rather is simply nothing, since he alone can say, “I am he who is”. Consequently, this great Lord, who is ever independent and self-sufficient, never had and does not now have any absolute need of the Blessed Virgin for the accomplishment of his will and the manifestation of his glory. To do all things he has only to will them. 15. However, I declare that, considering things as they are, because God has decided to begin and accomplish his greatest works through the Blessed Virgin ever since he created her, we can safely believe that he will not change his plan in the time to come, for he is God and therefore does not change in his thoughts or his way of acting. 16. God the Father gave his only Son to the world only through Mary. Whatever desires the patriarchs may have cherished, whatever entreaties the prophets and saints of the Old Law may have had for 4,000 years to obtain that treasure, it was Mary alone who merited it and found grace before God by the power of her prayers and the perfection of her virtues. “The world being unworthy,” said Saint Augustine, “to receive the Son of God directly from the hands of the Father, he gave his Son to Mary for the world to receive him from her.””), he states in paragraphs 14 -16:

1. With the whole Church I acknowledge that Mary, being a mere creature fashioned by the hands of God is, compared to his infinite majesty, less than an atom, or rather is simply nothing, since he alone can say, “I am he who is”. Consequently, this great Lord, who is ever independent and self-sufficient, never had and does not now have any absolute need of the Blessed Virgin for the accomplishment of his will and the manifestation of his glory. To do all things he has only to will them.
  1. However, I declare that, considering things as they are, because God has decided to begin and accomplish his greatest works through the Blessed Virgin ever since he created her, we can safely believe that he will not change his plan in the time to come, for he is God and therefore does not change in his thoughts or his way of acting.
  1. God the Father gave his only Son to the world only through Mary. Whatever desires the patriarchs may have cherished, whatever entreaties the prophets and saints of the Old Law may have had for 4,000 years to obtain that treasure, it was Mary alone who merited it and found grace before God by the power of her prayers and the perfection of her virtues. “The world being unworthy,” said Saint Augustine, “to receive the Son of God directly from the hands of the Father, he gave his Son to Mary for the world to receive him from her.” …

Yes, let us love Mary and honor her as Jesus did on this earth and the Trinity continues to do now in heaven. It will be wonderful to see all the Church in glory for all eternity!

Dear ARL,

Jesus told us from the cross: “Behold your Mother” - we do well if we hear and do what He tells us! :slight_smile: Thanks for your reply.

Let us continue to do as the Beloved Disciple did, standing with Mary at the foot of the Cross. He took her into “his own” - most translations add the word “home” but both Bl. John Paul II and our Pope Emeritus (Benedict XVI) have said that the Greek implies more: John took her into his own being; i.e. she became part of his life. Thus we not only look upon her as our example, our model, but we love her as a Mother who lives with us, helping us to know Jesus as she does, and living His Life.

O Jesus, living in Mary,
come and live in thy servants,
in the spirit of thy holiness,
in the fullness of thy might,
in the truth of thy virtues,
in the perfection of thy ways,
in the communion of thy mysteries.
Subdue every hostile power
in thy spirit,
for the glory of the Father.
Amen.

Thanks, mountee! :slight_smile:

Yes, I highly recommend everyone to read all of the works of St. Louis Marie de Montfort. He has advanced the understanding of Mary like no other. It was the Legion of Mary that introduced me to this saint of the Church, and I will be eternally grateful to them for that. For any Catholic who has not read de Montfort and thinks they already know all there is to know about Mary, think again, you need to read True Devotion to Mary-- it may well change your life. Secondly, you will want to follow through with the total consecration to Jesus through Mary. Our entire parish has been invited to do so this year. I cannot recommend it enough.

Dear James,

Thanks again for another good reply. Your parish is indeed blessed to have been invited into this Total Consecration by St. Louis De Montfort. For those unfamiliar with parish consecration see HERE

Additionally, I recommend the writings of St. Maximillian Kolbe. He was the one who introduced me to Marian consecration years ago. As such he was also the one who introduced me to the importance of the Rosary.

He is a great modern day saint, one that we would all do well to emulate. See what Jews have to say about this great saint of the 20th century. jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Kolbe.html

There’s a good DVD called Ocean of Mercy which looks at the lives of St. Faustina, St. Kolbe, and Pope JP II since they lived in the same region of Poland in overlapping times, yet never met each other.

Dear Surfing the Tiber,

Yes, I’ve seen the video and it is a good one. Indeed all the saints are evidence of the truth Pope Francis spoke:

…The Virgin Mary teaches us what it means to live in the Holy Spirit and what it means to welcome the newness of God in our life. She conceived Jesus by the work of the Spirit, and every Christian, each one of us, is called to welcome the Word of God, to welcome Jesus in ourselves and then bring him to everyone. Mary invoked the Spirit with the Apostles in the upper room: every time that we come together in prayer, we are supported by the spiritual presence of the Mother of Jesus, to receive the gift of the Spirit and to have the ability to bear witness to the risen Jesus…

May we continue to beg God’s Grace to live this truth and become the saints each of us is called to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.