Pope Francis Must Resign: Archbishop Vigano

The ongoing crisis is getting worse.

1 Like

Long have these dark days been foretold…

Trial, Tribulation & Triumph: Before, During, and After Antichrist https://www.amazon.com/dp/1882972732/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_t3FGBb8BG7HBP

3 Likes

Time will tell

1 Like

This seems pretty huge.

1 Like

This wouldn’t surprise me if it is true. Pope Francis is well known for playing favorites and overlooking the transgressions of those he favors. Look at his “C9” council that has three or four cardinals involved in various scandals, some of them related to child abuse, that Pope Francis has kept on despite the evidence against them. Cardinal Wuerl is still in his position and will probably remain there for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile, good Cardinals like Muller and Burke are shuffled off into a corner somewhere well before retirement age with nothing to do.

9 Likes

http://www.todayscatholicworld.com/two-pillars-bosco.htm

The main attack against the Church has begun…

1 Like

We should not be surprised. Our Lady said the final battle will be the attack on the family.

8 Likes

Well this might get interesting. I think parts of the letter are stained by bias a bit and some of it is conjecture, but most of the claims should be taken seriously. It will be interesting to see if it gets picked up by the mainstream media and whether the Vatican will confront it. Maybe we’ll see some more resignations now. It certainly makes Wuerl’s situation worse.

I’m happy to see that Benedict is somewhat vindicated, and disappointed to hear anything about Cardinal Ouellet. I also feel sorry for Archbishop Chaput if half this stuff is true.

Also (assuming this is all true), I respect that Vigano names people across ideological lines. It stings a bit, but it exudes more credibility.

BUT… We can’t be sure and can only pray that God’s will be done.

2 Likes

It’s a multi-pronged and ingenious attack. We must rally together. No Mutiny!

2 Likes

My only reaction right now is to get down on my knees and pray. I don’t know what else to say or do.

12 Likes

I’m normally loathe to link to LifeSiteNews, but in this case they actually have Vigano’s 11 page testimony in its entirety:

As Joe_5859 said . . .

This seems pretty huge.

10 Likes

Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò (Edward Pentin Photo)

| AUG. 25, 2018

Ex-Nuncio Accuses Pope Francis of Failing to Act on McCarrick’s Abuse

In a written testimony, Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò claims Pope Francis withdrew sanctions against Archbishop Theodore McCarrick.

Edward Pentin

In an extraordinary 11-page written testament, a former apostolic nuncio to the United States has accused several senior prelates of complicity in covering up Archbishop Theodore McCarrick’s allegations of sexual abuse, and has claimed that Pope Francis knew about sanctions imposed on then-Cardinal McCarrick by Pope Benedict XVI but chose to repeal them.

Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, 77, who served as apostolic nuncio in Washington D.C. from 2011 to 2016, said that in the late 2000s, Benedict had “imposed on Cardinal McCarrick sanctions similar to those now imposed on him by Pope Francis” and that Viganò personally told Pope Francis about those sanctions in 2013.

Archbishop Viganò said in his written statement, simultaneously released to the Register and other media, (see full text below) that Pope Francis “continued to cover” for McCarrick and not only did he “not take into account the sanctions that Pope Benedict had imposed on him” but also made McCarrick “his trusted counselor.” Viganò said that the former archbishop of Washington advised the Pope to appoint a number of bishops in the United States, including Cardinals Blase Cupich of Chicago and Joseph Tobin of Newark.

Archbishop Viganò, who said his “conscience dictates” that the truth be known as “the corruption has reached the very top of the Church’s hierarchy,” ended his testimony by calling on Pope Francis and all of those implicated in the cover up of Archbishop McCarrick’s abuse to resign. . .

That this is “extraordinary” is an understatement.

As Cruciferi has said . . . No Mutiny!

Many of us here at CAF know the Catholic Faith is founded by Jesus Christ and is much larger than any one person.

NO MATTER WHO that person is.

If what Archbishop Vigano says is true, then we as catechized Catholics will have an “extraordinary” opportunity to share the faith in the face of inevitable criticism (and perhaps more persecution) of the Church that is about to follow.

Catholic Answers (Jimmy Akin, Tim Staples, Karl Keating (ret.), etc.) did a great job back in 2002 and after helping and providing guidance.

Catholic Answers will undoubtedly be providing FURTHER input here as this situation unfolds too.

The fact that this warning is coming from an Archbishop tells us as laity that
we must be prayerful and attentive.

Begin with ourselves.

Confession, Adoration/Supplication and offer your Mass tomorrow AM at least in part for the Church. That is my take anyway.

I and others here will be following this exceedingly closely.

Thank you TigerLily-1 for posting this heartbreaking but necessary story.

God bless.

Cathoholic

The websites that already have it in for Pope Francis are practically dancing a jig. It’s just sad.

4 Likes

Some of it seems very much like a testimony to actual events. And then there are other things that seem like speculation or hearsay. I’m curious as to why he is presenting this information now. Is he concerned that the Vatican will take no real action in response to the grand jury report from Pennsylvania?

I’m happy to see that Benedict is somewhat vindicated, and disappointed to hear anything about Cardinal Ouellet. I also feel sorry for Archbishop Chaput if half this stuff is true.

This part of his statement felt like gossip, if I’m honest. I absolutely love Archbishop Chaput, was heartbroken when he left Denver, and was shocked when he was not made a Cardinal. But Vigano’s reporting of these conversations with Pope Francis and with McCarrick (and who spoke of ideologizing first) just isn’t as trustworthy, in my opinion, as other sections of his testimony.

All that being said, Vigano’s testimony is deeply disturbing. I will continue to pray and fast for our Church, her leaders, and those of us in the pews.

2 Likes

I didn’t see anything about Cdls. Oullette or Chaput. What are you referring to?

1 Like

In the letter he stated that he is an old man and is afraid of meeting his Maker with this on his conscience.

2 Likes

Cardinal Oullette is mentioned several times.

Archbishop (not Cardinal, btw) Chaput is mentioned as the right-wing Archbishop of Philadelphia.

Did you read the 11 page Testimony? The link is posted above.

No I read the article. PDF wouldn’t open on my phone. Yep your right about Archbishop, lazy typing on my part.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.