Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year

newsmax.com/Newsfront/pope-Time-person-of-year-Francis/2013/12/11/id/541181?ns_mail_uid=81080899&ns_mail_job=1549777_12112013&promo_code=15E94-1

Apologies if this was posted elsewhere here–I didn’t see it, and seems to be fairly thread worthy, imho. If so, mods feel free to delete.

The link was from Newsmax tweet; obviously there are countless other links to this story–this is just the one I had handy.

Peace.

^^^personally, I think Time made the right call here; Pope Francis, imo, stood head & shoulders above anyone else (though I do harbor some reservations as to their motives–fwiw).

Either way, this is excellent for the Church. :thumbsup:

A dubious honor. Time also named Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Nakita Khrushchev, “The Computer”, “The Endangered Earth” and “You” as person of the year. :shrug: Next year they will probably give person of the year award to “Abortion”.

These honors don’t mean anything other than increased magazine sales.

-Tim-

Fair point re. the recognition as an honor vis a vis prior 'honorees"–however, when a secular entity with a significant ‘platform’ uses their platform for an honorable cause, imo, it is worth celebrating, and rewarding them for doing so–just as in the converse, it would be appropriate to object to a poor use of it (though I wouldn’t bother posting it here, if they had named someone who was either irrelevant or adverse to the Church).

^^^to follow up briefly–its not the ‘honor’ Time brings to the Pope or the Church I ‘celebrate’–rather the recognition, attention, and positive publicity.

There is a thread from Yesterday:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=844091

Yes, there’s already a thread going in the “World News” forum:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=11490022

It’s an award to the person who influenced the news the most, for better or for worse. Adolf Hitler was really news-worthy. (Just for horrible reasons)

And I’ll accept the honor. I read the article, and not only did they misinterpret hardly anything, they even acknowledged that he has been misinterpreted by the media.

I read it, too. On the whole, it was probably the most balanced piece on Francis that I’ve seen from the secular press. As usual, there are a few quibbles that I have with some of what they said. But much less than I expected.

Thank you. Wasn’t aware. However, as long as this thread remains in this forum, I’ll go ahead and supplement it.

Here is an excerpt by Fr. Robert Barron on it:

The source of a good deal of this mischief is the 18th century philosopher Immanuel Kant, whose influence on the modern sensibility can scarcely be overstated. Kant famously held that religion is reducible to ethics. By the Enlightenment period, the doctrinal claims of the great religions had come to seem incredible to many, and worship a pathetic holdover from a more primitive time. For Kant, therefore, authentic, grown-up, enlightened religious people would see that morality is the heart of the matter, both doctrine and worship serving, at best, to bolster ethics. It is always a source of amazement to me how thoroughly modern people have gone down the Kantian autobahn in regard to this issue. How we take the following for granted: it doesn’t really matter what you believe, as long as you are a good person.

But the Kantian construal is simply repugnant to classical Christianity. In point of fact, Christians have been, from the beginning, massively interested in both worship and doctrine. How could you read any of the Gospels or any of the letters of Paul and think otherwise? Moreover, the great figures of the Church – Irenaeus, Chrysostom, Jerome, Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Newman, etc. – have taken doctrine with utmost seriousness. No one doubts that Francis of Assisi himself loved the poor and marginalized, but how many realize that one of his principal concerns was for liturgical propriety?

Toward the end of the Time piece, the authors mention two features of Francis’s life which effectively undermine their central argument. The “Person of the Year” spends huge swaths of his day at prayer. Rising at five, he prays until seven and then celebrates Mass. And after dinner, he spends several more hours before the Blessed Sacrament. As has been the case with so many of the Church’s saints, his love for the poor flows from an intense worship of God. The article closes with a look at one of the Pope’s Wednesday general audiences. The topic of Francis’s remarks that day was the resurrection of Jesus. After declaring the Church’s age-old doctrine, the Pope looked up from his text and asked the crowd, “do you believe it?” When they responded, “yes!” he said again, “do you believe it?” This is not a man who is unconcerned with clarity of dogma.

I’m delighted that Time has made the Pope the “Person of the Year,” but I would caution all of the commentariat: don’t drive a wedge between the three dimensions of Francis’s life and of the Church’s life!

Father Robert Barron is the founder of the global ministry, Word on Fire, and the Rector/President of Mundelein Seminary.

realclearreligion.org/articles/2013/12/12/times_kantian_wedge.html

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.