Pope Francis: "No to married priests, no to female deacons"

Thanks Pope Francis, now let’s move on.

http://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20200202_querida-amazonia.html 1

34 Likes

It was only a month ago that we heard complaints about Benedict XVI and Cardinal Sarah splitting the Church by reaffirming priestly celibacy in their new book.

10 Likes

Not to mention various posters over at Fr Z’s blog who have denounced him as an anti-pope, enemy of tradition, etc. The Holy Father is hard to peg… he seems very chummy with “progressives” in the Church, but when push comes to shove, his actual reforms have been fairly conservative.

8 Likes

I’m going to hold my breath in anticipation!!!

This was suppose to be a wonderful opportunity to begin to erode the impact of clericalism on the church and become more relevant to so many.

As we all know it is not good that man should be alone (Gen 2:18). I fail to see how having enforced celibacy is a good thing.

2 Likes

The Pope saw otherwise. Let us submit to his authority and accept his decisions in docility and meekness.

22 Likes

Much ado about nothing, as expected.

14 Likes

Lol, I would have opted for no to pachamama and yes to married priests.

1 Like

Yes…no doubt. I think viri probati priests may still be a good idea some day, but I’m not in Pope Francis’ shoes. I don’t know and see what he knows and sees. I trust him.

Anyway, the best argument for not having married priests is that the Catholic Diaconate is beautiful and actually very unique thing. Why mess it up in this time of crisis?

3 Likes

The Bishop of Rome has spoken, time to move on…

9 Likes

Hallelujah!

14 Likes

Priests are not alone. As one of my favourite pastors used to say, “Blessed am I among women.” He didn’t have to marry one to enjoy their help in his ministry (he was referring specifically to the Catholic Women’s League, which was really active in his parish).

6 Likes

There is no need to be docile with an non-infallible decision. Docility leads to authoritarianism and abuse.

3 Likes

Your post expresses that it was a good agenda that got rejected. But the Church isn’t in the agenda business.

Part of the reason these two things were rejected is that they were seen as related to the whole pachamama fiasco.

But part is that the Pope has to deal with an increasingly rebellious German Bishops Conference. “Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile”.

The pope doesn’t want to set something in motion almost certain to be abused that his successors will have to deal with.

5 Likes

I can’t help but post this article which says it delights traditionalists and infuriates progressives.

1 Like

Couldn’t disagree more. We are called to be docile to ALL teachings of the Church, not just those that are infalliblly defined.

7 Likes

Another take, describing the document as ambiguous:

1 Like

Glad to see this.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter what Pope Francis says or does in the sense that there will always be a faction that will demonize him. Most all of the commentary is superfluous noise.

8 Likes

Docile means teachable, able to be educated, benefit from new and retained information. The alternative to docile is to be unteachable, unable to be open to benefit from Tradition or new information.

The opposite of docile is snowflake.

5 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.