Pope Francis: "No to married priests, no to female deacons"

Jesus, Himself, calls for celibacy.

Paul’s conclusion: He who marries “does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better” (7:38).

Paul was not the first apostle to conclude that celibacy is, in some sense, “better” than marriage. After Jesus’ teaching in Matthew 19 on divorce and remarriage, the disciples exclaimed, “If such is the case between a man and his wife, it is better not to marry” (Matt 19:10). This remark prompted Jesus’ teaching on the value of celibacy “for the sake of the kingdom”:

“Not all can accept this word, but only those to whom it is granted. Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so; some, because they were made so by others; some, because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the kingdom of God. Whoever can accept this ought to accept it” (Matt. 19:11–12).

Notice that this sort of celibacy “for the sake of the kingdom” is a gift, a call that is not granted to all, or even most people. Other people are called to marriage. It is true that too often individuals in both vocations fall short of the requirements of their state, but this does not diminish either vocation; nor does it mean that the individuals in question were “not really called” to that vocation. The sin of a priest doesn’t necessarily prove that he never should have taken a vow of celibacy, any more than the sin of a married man or woman proves that he or she never should have gotten married.

2 Likes

A priest forsakes an earthly union with flesh, for the sake of a mystical union with God and His church. It is not a sacrifice but a gift. This is much easier to grasp when not seeking cherry picked verses to promote a flawed understanding of Catholic faith. That would be where other denominations come into play.

In the words of one of the more liberal Cardinals, as reported by the Italian Catholic Press Union…

"Italy’s chief archbishop lashed out at critics of Pope Francis on the feast of Saint Francis de Sales, asking them to make “other choices” and become Protestants if they are unhappy with the policies of the present pontiff.

“Our Protestant brethren have neither the pope nor the bishop — everyone makes his own choices. I told someone they could make the choice of becoming Protestant if you don’t like the Catholic Church, if this boat is too narrow,” Cdl. Gualtiero Bassetti, president of the Episcopal Conference of Italy told journalists in Perugia"

No, I’m not trying to echo this sentiment… just pointing out a little bit of irony.

1 Like

I wonder if he will say something similar to the people who are upset about the lack of “female deacons”?

4 Likes

Might I suggest you read 1 Corinthians 7 regarding Marriage and celibacy, the Church’s infallible dogma on this subject? Perhaps ‘mans’ take on the Magisterium teaching regarding celibacy is just that…our fallible thinking.

2 Likes

That wouldn’t be ‘pastoral’.

Oh, people are still doing that. Saw an “Antipope Bergoglio” comment this morning even after the news came down.

I’m getting the impression nobody much wanted female deacons and it was all about getting married priests because people think it will provide lots more priests and combat homosexuality and pedophilia in the Church.

1 Like

What do you mean?

Maybe I’m just misreading this statement. It’s a pretty narrow context. But the “if you don’t like it you can go elsewhere” attitude I find a little concerning. Does the faithful say, “we don’t tolerate abuse of power, sex abuse, and idols, and if anyone doesn’t like it “they” can get out of “our” church… ?

Do you also think that all the monks, nuns, brothers and sisters in the monasteries and orders should be coupling up?
I can’t imagine how all those thousands of single, celibate saints throughout history managed without having a spouse…

16 Likes

This conclusion was by no means assured. For all we know, it is the result of all the “ado” and prayers. I for one am all but certain of it.

3 Likes

One of God’s surprises and a nod to Pope Benedict XVI and Cardinal Sarah.

7 Likes

Yeap. The problem is that people fail to realize that pedophilia has higher percentages amount Protestants & Jewish clergy, teachers, coaches, boy scouts, etc. And all of them allow married men.

Allowing married men will not stop pedophilla.

And with homosexuality being “culturally acceptable” in most parts of the world today, gay men are will not be hiding in the priesthood at the percentages that they once did.

So allowing married men to become priests will not solve the issues people think it will, and will only create logistical issues for Catholic parishes that currently do not exist.

11 Likes

And if the Protestant churches, at least here in Europe, have learnt something, it is that neither the ordination of married persons nor the ordination of women are a solution to the vocations crisis.

21 Likes

I don’t know if I would say that.

I think all the “ado” caused many people to pray.

We have to keep in mind that there are many wolves in the Vatican, trying to influence the Holy Father. It has been that way for centuries. Whenever then feel that they have a Pope who will be more open to their ideas, they press hard.

God Bless Pope Francis for standing up to this latest full court press.

8 Likes

Do you mean people move on from criticizing the Pope for supposedly advocating for married priests and female deacons or for people to move on from advocating for married priests and female deacons? As is evident in this thread the latter won’t move on and I’m sure the former will still find ways to be suspicious of the Pope on these issues.

So what’s wrong with using verses to back up Church teaching? Catholic apologists do it, the clergy does it, the Catechism does it. Why can’t we follow their lead?

The latter

6 Likes

No, actually they will discuss at large the fact that the Pope was silent on this and that matter (see the title of the article in the OP) and eventually some of them will argue and silence is quiet approval and thus be continuously happily worried… I don’t mean to offend LSN by this post I find their assertive criticism of passive Christians in the Modern world to be very welcome and fill in a gap in the Christian media. Their articles are quoted worldwide by Christians interested in the subject of human rights of thr unborn, civil rights mayham caused by LGBTQ exaggerations etc. But against Pope Francis they haven’t nailed much valid accusatiom except that he is not vocal enough for preserving tradition. So they will continue to write about that one…

Actually there is a strong lobby for both those things, and also women priests. But they couldn’t get both at the same time, so they chose what appeared the more reachable goal first. Then, down the line, with that momentum…

3 Likes

Thing is, we don’t really need female deacons. At least in the USA, it seems there is no shortage of men beating down the door to be deacons.

6 Likes

:slight_smile: :rainbow: :dove:

I gotta say, my heart is so glad about the way these Pope Francis things have been unfolding. I admit, there have been times when I have felt shaken (intellectually) by words/actions of Pope Francis (especially confusion about whether the magisterium contradicted itself/invalidated the Church’s teaching on infallibility re: death penalty change)… but throughout, Jesus has put a special peace on my heart so that I could have patience and trust Jesus to take care of it even while I don’t understand what’s going on, and not be shaken away from the rock. And it’s so heartening to see visible comforts like this every once in a while: the same Pope who seems to stretch us outwards into uncomfortably ‘new’ directions, also seems to preserve the importance of some core elements of the Church. E.g. standing firm on life issues; preserving the beauty of male/female difference (not folding to the dry and sterile secular doctrine of interchangeability) in the face of what I imagine is heavy pressure on the natural level.

God is good. :slight_smile: And God is in charge. It’s up to the rest of us to keep doing what God’s given us to do, in our own spheres.

6 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.