Pope Francis on Our Lady homily

“at the foot of the cross. The Gospel does not tell us anything: if she spoke a word or not… She was silent, but in her heart, how many things told the Lord! ‘You, that day, this and the other that we read, you had told me that he would be great, you had told me that you would have given him the throne of David, his forefather, that he would have reigned forever and now I see him there!’ Our Lady was human! And perhaps she even had the desire to say: ‘Lies! I was deceived!’"

:confused: that’s all I’m going to say.

vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/francecso-francis-francisco-30745/

I had to read the rest of the article to understand more of the context of your quote, which you have taken out of context to have Pope Francis to appear controversial.
The Virgin Mary was human; she probably did have those thoughts at some point. However, keep with what Pope Francis was saying: she kept silent. She kept silent “to ponder all things in her heart (Luke 2:19)” to “[hide] the mystery that she did not understand and with this silence allowed for this mystery to grow and blossom in hope (the article).”
Do not make this bigger than it really is, or to make a statement controversial when it is not.

Side note: An Orthodox defending the Pope against a Catholic on a Catholic forum? What has this world come to? :eek: :wink:

i didn’t take anything out of context. I put the part up that confused me and said, I am confused. I put the link up.

Don’t accuse people of things.

You never said you were confused.
However, I apologize for accusing you if it is an unwarranted accusation.

the little emoticon means “I am confused”

You may not have meant to, but you really did take it out of context. Because the meaning is clear if you read to the end of the paragraph:
"But she, with her silence, hid the mystery that she did not understand and with this silence allowed for this mystery to grow and blossom in hope.”

He’s telling us that having doubts sometimes is natural; it’s what we do about them that matters. Do we go around saying “Lies! I was deceived!”? Or do we follow Our Lady by pondering these things in our hearts, and waiting to see what God has in store?

I don’t think it gives it any more context.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.