Pope Francis ranked among this year’s 50 most prominent Jews

From La Stampa’s Vatican Insider:The Pope Francis effect has even spread to Forward’s 50 top American Jews list for this year. Forward magazine, the historic voice of American liberal Judaism, decided to add Bergoglio to the 2013 edition of Forward 50, its annual list of top Jewish-American figures. The reason for this “endorsement” is party due to an umpteenth attempt to launch an attack on Francis’ predecessor, Benedict XVI.

As he is not Jewish, Francis has been added to the magazine’s “PLUS” list. The accompanying note included in the Pope’s profile explains the reason why he was chosen: “After eight months as head of the world’s 1 billion Roman Catholics (not to mention 10 million Twitter followers), the new pontiff — the first from outside Europe — has made improving relations with the Jewish world a key goal.” The magazine adds that “the only book he has penned is an extraordinary dialogue with a rabbi who had become fast friends with then-Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio in their native Argentina.”
The list:

i.imgur.com/PbVBulR.png

Forward’s writeup on the Holy Father:The puffs of white smoke had barely cleared from above the Sistine Chapel before we started learning about Pope Francis I.

We learned that Francis, 76, is a profoundly humble man who insists on carrying his own bags and riding the bus home. We also learned that he plans to bring a breath of fresh air to the notoriously ossified Vatican including not only with financial transparency but also a vow to open the church’s Holocaust archives.

We learned that the only book he has penned is an extraordinary dialogue with a rabbi who had become fast friends with then-Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio in their native Argentina.
The Francis Effect™

I read “an extraordinary dialogue”, it is very well written. We have an extraordinary Pope!

Thank you for this post markomalley.

I think that it is nice that they have shown Pope Francis respect and noted his kindness. I would really like to know the name of the book and so I’ll be googling that very soon.

I have to giggle that also given recognition under the “plus” category is Angelina Jolie.

They need to tighten up on their research, Pope Francis is by no means the first non European Pope. I will spare us the obvious example of the first Pope been non European but there are numerous other non-European Pope’s in the Church’s history. Here are a few after a few minutes work of research and this list is probably very incomplete:-

1. Pope Saint Evaristus: Bethlehem, modern-day West Bank (97 – 105)
  2. Pope Saint Anicetus: Emesa (today known as Homs), Syria (155 – 166)
  3. Pope Saint Victor I: Leptis Magna, modern-day Libya (189 – 199)
  4. Pope Saint Miltiades: Somewhere in North Africa (311 – 314)
  5. Pope Theodore I: Jerusalem, modern-day Israel and West Bank (642 – 649)
  6. Pope John V: Antioch, then Syria but today part of Turkey (685 – 686)
  7. Pope Sisinnius: Syria (708)
  8. Pope Constantine: Syria (708 – 715)
  9. Pope Gregory III: Syria (731 – 741)

What other time in history could His Holiness the Pope have been listed in the same ranks with the likes of Angeline Jolie! I wonder where the mind of much of the world is at with so much rubbish out there.

Didn’t know Edith Windsor from the landmark DOMA case this summer was Jewish. She came in at #2! :thumbsup:

Great list :slight_smile: The Jewish American community has a lot to be proud of.

They did it because of her choice on breast cancer, which influenced many Jewish women.

forward.com/specials/forward-50-2013/angelina-jolie/

Imagine the uproar had he been listed among the year’s most prominent Muslims…

No offence intended to our Jewish brothers, but my 1st reactions to hearing the Supreme Pontiff and head of the Roman Catholic Church being referred to as a Jew was :confused:

They could have made their statement correct if they had simply said Francis was the “first non-Euopean pope in modern times.”

I suppose in fairness it has been so long since there was a non European Pope that many people forget that Catholicism is ultimately a middle eastern religion.

There’s even been an English pope, and as in my experience many English people think of “Europeans” as meaning “continental Europeans” I guess you could add him to your list.

The English Pope you mention is rather infamous in Ireland for a certain bull supposedly authored by him

No offence intended to our Jewish brothers, but my 1st reactions to hearing the Supreme Pontiff and head of the Roman Catholic Church being referred to as a Jew was

You can be Jewish in an ethnic sense, a religious sense, or both. The article obviously refers to the ethnic sense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.