Pope Francis rejects donation from Argentinian president with 666 in sum

The frosty relationship between two of the world’s most prominent Argentinians appears to have taken a turn for the worse after it emerged that Pope Francis rejected a charitable donation from president Mauricio Macri – at least partly – because the sum included the figure 666.

Earlier this month, the centre-right president made a donation that totaled 16,666,000 pesos (slightly under $1.2m) from the Argentinian government to the Scholas Occurentes educational foundation, which is backed by the pope and is based on a similar organization founded by Francis when he was cardinal of Buenos Aires.

Two weeks ago, the pope presided over an event in Rome at which medals were awarded to Hollywood celebrities George Clooney, Salma Hayek and Richard Gere who have agreed to be ambassadors for the charity. Shortly afterwards, Macri made the donation.

theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/14/pope-francis-mauricio-macri-argentina-charity-donation-666

Why are their relationship “frosty”? I know Bergoglio was on bad terms with the previous left-wing government of Kirshner, but what’s the problem with the new right-wing president? :confused:

I suppose Pope Francis knows this situation if it is duly correct.

Am I the only one who finds this sort of funny? :smiley:

You’re not. :slight_smile:

I didn’t think that we as Catholics put any stock in all the “666” superstitions. I’m guessing the reason for rejecting such a sizeable donation is rooted elsewhere.

:thumbsup:

I call nonsense on this story. Most likely Pope Francis would have seen the President’s donation in Euro and not known the conversion rate (£855,000). Second, Catholics don’t hold to the 666 numerology game. Lastly, Argentina needs money. More likely Francis would rather President Macri keep it to help his country first, especially since Francis wasn’t too keen on Macri’s austerity measures on it’s effect on the poor.

This is the true reason, as discussed in the article itself. The 666 was probably just Argentinian humour from our Holy Father. They have a peculiar sense of humour, which I was introduced to by reading “Mafalda” comics as a boy. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.