Pope Francis Says America Has ‘a Distorted Vision of the World’

(CNSNews.com) - Pope Francis told the Italian newspaper La Repubblica on Thursday that the United States of America—and Russia, China, North Korea and Bashar al Assad’s Syria—have “a distorted vision of the world"–(“una visione distorta del mondo,” as reportetd in Italian by La Repubblica).

The pope made the observation in an interview with La Repubblica reporter Eugenio Scalfari.

“Last Thursday, I got a call from Pope Francis,” Scalfari reported. “It was about noon, and I was at the newspaper when my phone rang.”

He said the pope wanted to see him at four that afternoon, according to a Google translation of the Italian report.

“Pope Francis told me to be very concerned about the meeting of the G20,” Scalfari wrote.

“I am afraid there are very dangerous alliances between powers who have a distorted view of the world: America and Russia, China and North Korea, Russia and Assad in the war in Syria,” the pope said.

cnsnews.com/news/article/cnsnewscom-staff/pope-francis-says-america-has-distorted-vision-world

The article does not state what the Pope thinks these countries should do for immigrants.

Also made the mistake of reading the comments section. The usual comments about pedophile priests and the unnaturalness of celibacy come up.

Mayhap the rest of the world might have a distorted view of America? We are very charitable, but also want to be safe.

I’m American and I love my country, but I don’t see how he’s wrong. Let’s be honest; for a Christian majority country, we’re not very good at being Christian

:thumbsup:

Well, he’s not wrong.

Well, he’s not wrong.

He’s also not referring solely to America; Russia, China, and North Korea were also mentioned… G20 in general is a gathering of wealthy nations and their banks to discuss on how they can exploit the rest of the world.

God bless Pope Francis.

I love it when the Holy Roman Church stands up against the worldly powers.

Saint Gregory VII, pray for us.

Really? Strange, then, that it is acknowledged that when first world economies do better, the effect is distributed to lesser countries and improves the lives of those who are impoverished. Even U2 frontman Bono was persuaded by the evidence that good economics help far more than not.

Do you ever wonder how you are exploiting the rest of the world by living a lifestyle that is not within their means?

Isn’t this the same guy that doesn’t take notes?

You have got to be kidding me.

Where is the mention of same sex marriage and abortion? … these people have the distorted vision of the word and should they win, will bring about our persecution and destruction.

Gotta pray for him I guess. :shrug:

Church is under attack from within and from without.

“For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.”

Because of abortion and same sex marriage. China and North Korea because of Communism. But what about Russia?

Any nation that approves same sex marriage is in serious trouble and has a gravely distorted vision of the world.

At least there is hope with Trump and pro-life supreme court justices, and to attack it as having a distorted view of the world, yet not mention one word about same sex marriage and abortion is way, way wrong.

Or to ignore the conversion and progress of a Christian Russia. Again, way wrong. The west is under serious attack with a gravely distorted vision of marriage and the family which is the very basics and fundamental part of any society.

“For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.”

And we know that this Pope is quite vocal about his concern for the poor. I think Pope Francis is referring to social justice.

**What is cnsnews anyways? And the article was written by “cnsnews.com staffs”??? **:shrug:

It does look very odd I think.

God Bless You

Josh

i don’t believe the pope has it right in this case. look what immigration is doing to europe. many of these people are economic refugees and not political refugees. they are coming for a better life but they have no skills and want handouts. there is a limit to what countries can afford. his liberation theology is showing

I think every non-Catholoc nation has a distorted vision of the world…

Good economics can help. The problem is I’m not convinced that the G20 (and it’s predecessor, the G8) is really concerned with good economics as much as keeping the status quo. I mean, China can hardly be called a bastion of “good economics”, but is a valued member…

“We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time."

“We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.”

Pope Francis, August 2013

americamagazine.org/faith/2013/09/30/big-heart-open-god-interview-pope-francis

He’s the Vicar of Christ, not Christ Himself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.