Pope Francis: Shame is a Christian virtue

A very interesting homily from Pope Francis today in which he explains how the ability to feel shame is a Christian virtue (one that many have lost), and emphasizes the need for the Sacrament of Confession.

en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013/04/29/pope:_shame_is_a_true_christian_virtue/en1-687330

“But, Lord, look … this is how I am”, we are often ashamed to tell the truth: ‘I did this, I thought this’. But shame is a true Christian virtue, and even human … the ability to be ashamed: I do not know if there is a similar saying in Italian, but in our country to those who are never ashamed are called “sin vergüenza’: this means ‘the unashamed ', because they are people who do not have the ability to be ashamed and to be ashamed is a virtue of the humble, of the man and the woman who are humble. "

Again, Pope Francis encourages to go, to be reconciled.

And yes, appropriate shame is good in the midst of a media created culture where shame is usually not modeled.

I love Pope Francis.

Ed

:thumbsup: Love me some Francis! I seriously want to fly to Rome just to hug this guy.

Yeah that’d be cool. He has been doing great. A true servant of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.