Pope Francis: Sovereign Nations Have the Right to Secure Their Borders

newsline.com/pope-says-sovereign-nations-have-the-right-to-secure-their-borders/

[quote=]While President Donald Trump takes his Oath-of-Office in Washington D.C., Pope Francis said “every nation has the right to control its borders,” especially in countries with threats of terrorism.

“Yes, every country has the right to control its borders, who comes and who goes… and those countries at risk [from terrorism or such things] have even more right to control them more.”

[/quote]

Seem some of us misunderstood His Holiness, the Pope. He supports secured borders from terrorism.

Refugees aren’t terrorists, so no need to secure the borders against those in need.

Anyway he said country has the right to control its border, who comes and who goes …

:thumbsup:

As I’ve said before: Pope Francis the man and Pontiff should be differentiated from Pope Francis the media creation. :slight_smile:

Some terrorists are disguising the selves as refugees.

We don’t know if refugees are terrorist or not.

Even the non-terrorists are sometimes frauds.

In early 2015 AMERICAN intelligence agencies warned German authorities that Islamic State jihadists posing as migrants were making their way through southern Europe with the aim of reaching Germany. The warnings, however, were ignored, and in the summer of 2015, German authorities allowed hundreds of thousands of migrants, many lacking documentation, to enter Germany without a security check.

bild.de/politik/inland/fluechtlingskrise/ist-die-polizei-wirklich-so-machtlos-44344096.bild.html

Fazliddin Kurbanov, or “Idaho man,” as he is respectfully referred to in the U.S. media, was brought to the U.S. in 2009 as a refugee. He came with his wife and young child, his sister and his two ailing parents. So indebted was Kurbanov to the U.S. for rescuing his entire family from “persecution” that he spent the next few years conspiring to commit jihad against us. He had plenty of time and U.S. money on his hands to plot terrorist attacks in the U.S. because he and his family was being supported by the U.S. taxpayers. For the cherry on top, the whole welfare-dependent, Islamic terrorist-nurturing family won refugee status in America by claiming they were persecuted in Uzbekistan for being Christians.

Our FBI realized we’d let in scores of Iraqi terrorists as “refugees,” including Mohanad Shareef Hammadi and Waad Ramadan Alwan too.

Boston Marathon bombers, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, received asylum in the U.S., before their 2013 attacks that left four dead and thousands injured. That’s not including the three Jewish men whose throats Tamerlan slit in Waltham, MA a few years earlier. The entire extended Tsarnaev family got asylum based on Russia’s brutal crackdown on Chechnyan Muslims persecution so unspeakable that various family members continued to vacation there.

A few years ago, we took in a genocidal Rwandan, Beatrice Munyenyezi, as a “refugee.” Only after she was granted citizenship did we find out that, as the federal court described, she had “personally participated in the mass killing of innocent women, men and children merely because they were called Tutsi.” Although her American citizenship was revoked, Munyenyezi remains a legal U.S. resident, whom U.S. taxpayers are supporting in prison for the next decade. Only an immigration court can order her deportation. Which it will not.

Some other heart-warming humanitarian stories:
– Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman, or “the Blind Sheik,” imprisoned for life in the U.S. for his participation in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing: Asylee.
– Ramzi Yousef, ringleader of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing: Asylee.
– Egyptian Hesham Mohamed Hadayet, who shot up the El Al ticket counter at the Los Angeles airport, killing two: Refugee.

And the list goes on .

Apparently, Reuben, you do not understand how to properly interpret the words of Pope Francis.

The Francis who said that sovereign nations have the right to secure their borders was a media creation. The Francis who said we should invite and welcome all into our country no matter who they are or what safety risks they pose to our people is the real Pope.

sarcasm off/ (just in case the tag was needed)

Catholic Church’s Position On Immigration Reform

usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignity/immigration/churchteachingonimmigrationreform.cfm

The Catholic Catechism instructs the faithful that good government has two duties, both of which must be carried out and neither of which can be ignored.

The first duty is to welcome the foreigner out of charity and respect for the human person. Persons have the right to immigrate and thus government must accommodate this right to the greatest extent possible, especially financially blessed nations: “The more prosperous nations are obliged, to the extent they are able, to welcome the foreigner in search of the security and the means of livelihood which he cannot find in his country of origin. Public authorities should see to it that the natural right is respected that places a guest under the protection of those who receive him.” Catholic Catechism, 2241.

The second duty is to secure one’s border and enforce the law for the sake of the common good. Sovereign nations have the right to enforce their laws and all persons must respect the legitimate exercise of this right: “Political authorities, for the sake of the common good for which they are responsible may make the exercise of the right to immigrate subject to various juridical conditions, especially with regard to the immigrants’ duties toward their country of adoption. Immigrants are obliged to respect with gratitude the material and spiritual heritage of the country that receives them, to obey its laws and to assist in carrying civic burdens.” Catholic Catechism, 2241

:wink: :thumbsup:

On related topics.

He says openly and publicly that half his family has fake documents. These folks want to make all of California a “sanctuary city.” Did half of his family who are illegal aliens vote him into office? How many other illegal aliens have fake documents that would enable them to vote as US Citizens? Maybe DJT is on the mark with his 3 million voter fraud number! I say defund every single sanctuary city and county. Do it now.

zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-06/california-senate-leader-admits-half-my-family-country-illegally-false-social-securiy

And this article explains why immigration cannot and will not help solve the problem of human suffering. But somehow, I think refugee immigration and resettlement is not about these poor suffering souls – but rather about the lucrative federal government contracts awarded to the non-profit organizations and Christian charities who are involved in these “humanitarian activities.” If I were paid 1.6 billion dollars (as Catholic Charities has been awarded in US Government contracts), I would be a staunch supporter of immigration too.

zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-06/reality-check-immigration-can-never-be-effective-way-deal-suffering-people-world**

Except for one minor issue.

How to distinguish refugees from terrorists.

I wouldn’t be surprised if terrorists were among those seeking refuge.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

This is not inconsistent with a generous (legal and controlled) immigration policy, which is all that proponents of immigration reform are asking for.

Yes.

I agree.

We need immigration reform.

Does not apply to the United States.

Not to Italy either.

Besides, a wall would not work.

Easy fix: the terrorists carry signs “I am a terrorist.”

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Refugees are pleased with ample supplies of Nutella and Gummibears. [Wrong thread. Nutella and Gummibears refer to burning down a refugee center. Sorry.]

No-one is suggesting that sovereign nations don’t have the right to secure their borders. The article above balances this with the duty to offer sanctuary to refugees, and the Pope specially commended Italy and Sweden for their efforts in this regard. But people seem to have forgotten that Trump’s EO suspended the entire US refugee programme for all countries even for those who had been properly screened and had visa issued. Furthermore the proposal to prioritise refugees on the basis of religion rather than need was what the Bishops felt was unjust. And there is a limit of 50,000 refugees for the US - no-one is suggesting that everyone has the right to come to the US.

Is there somewhere this can be validated?

An article similar was published in a UK paper. express.co.uk/news/world/757746/Every-country-has-THE-RIGHT-to-control-its-borders-Pope-on-migration-crisis

These articles were printed on January 23rd, before these temporary travel bans were in place. The words are supposed to be comments the Pope made to the the Spanish newspaper El Pais just days after the inauguration of American President Donald Trump.
So I don’t have a way of trying to find this/or understanding this from local sources.

Here is the original source and statement, in context with the preceding:

elpais.com/elpais/2017/01/21/inenglish/1485026427_223988.html

The role model for all the world is Sweden. Sweden has nine million people. Of those, 890,000 are “new Swedes”, children of immigrants or immigrants with Swedish citizenship. The Foreign minister —I think it was her, the one who came to send me off— is a young woman, the daughter of a Swedish mother and a father from Gabon. Integrated immigrants

Sweden is an example for the whole world. And it is nothing new. I said it right from the start, after Lampedusa… I knew of Sweden because of all the Argentinians, Uruguayans, Chileans who went there in the era of the military dictatorships and who were welcomed there.** I have friends who went there as refugees and who live there. You go to Sweden and they give you a healthcare program, papers, a residency permit… And then you have a home, and the following week you have a school to learn the language, and a little bit of work, and you are on your way**.

The Vatican is in charge of 22 [migrants], and we are taking care of them, and they are slowly becoming independent. The second day, the kids were going to school. The second day! And the parents are getting gradually settled in an apartment, with a bit of work here, a bit of work there… They have instructors to teach them the language… Sant’Egidio has that same attitude. So, the problem is: urgent rescue, of course, for everyone. Second: receive, welcome as best as possible. Afterwards, integrate.

Crises provoke fear, alarm. In my opinion, the most obvious example of populism in the European sense of the word is Germany in 1933. After [Paul von] Hindenburg, after the crisis of 1930, Germany is broken, it needs to get up, to find its identity, it needs a leader, someone capable of restoring its character, and there is a young man named Adolf Hitler who says: “I can, I can”. And Germans vote for Hitler. Hitler didn’t steal power, his people voted for him, and then he destroyed his people. That is the risk.

In times of crisis we lack judgment, and that is a constant reference for me. Let’s look for a savior who gives us back our identity and let us defend ourselves with walls, barbed-wire, whatever, from other people who may rob us of our identity. And that is a very serious thing. That is why I always try to say: talk among yourselves, talk to one another. But the case of Germany in 1933 is typical, a people who were immersed in a crisis, who were searching for their identity until this charismatic leader came and promised to give their identity back, and he gave them a distorted identity, and we all know what happened. Where there is no conversation…

Can borders be controlled? Yes, each country has the right to control its borders, who comes in and who goes out, and those countries at risk —from terrorism or such things— have even more of a right to control them, but no country has the right to deprive its citizens of the possibility to talk with their neighbors.

Defining terms is important:

How to Tell the Difference Between the Branches of the US Armed Forces!

If you give the command “SECURE THE BUILDING”, here is what the different services would do:

The NAVY would turn out the lights and lock the doors.

The ARMY would surround the building with defensive fortifications, tanks and concertina wire.

The MARINE CORPS would assault the building, using overlapping fields of fire from all appropriate points on the perimeter.

The AIR FORCE would take out a three-year lease with an option to buy the building.

strategypage.com/humor/articles/20020406.asp

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.