Pope Francis: The devil is no myth - he's real and we must fight him

catholicnewsagency.com/news/the-devil-is-no-myth-hes-real-and-we-must-fight-him-pope-says-84177/

Pope Francis said that a Christian life requires both strength and courage, and needs to be defended because it is a constant battle with the devil, who tempts with worldly attractions, the passions and our flesh.

IMO, the Pope expressing this message often and with urgency - not only displays his formation in Ignatius spirituality; yet presupposes a certain spiritual maturity with Catholics. I wonder if this is could be understood as a challenge as much as a statement of confidence?

He keeps telling us things like this, and yet some people keep accusing him of not being an orthodox Catholic. :frowning:

He keeps telling us things like this, and yet some people keep accusing him of not being an orthodox Catholic.

I know, right?

Believe me the devil is alive and kicking and works very hard at working his evil. We need to continue to be watchful.

Do we see more exorcists on the way?

Mainly because he focuses a lot of time on emphasizing God’s mercy - and trying to get the Church to show that mercy better in today’s world. Thus the synod - not to change the Church’s teachings regarding marriage (which, having been spoken explicitly by Jesus Himself are unchangeable) - but to make those who are not living in accord with the Church’s teachings realize that they are not rejected and that God loves them, too. Everything that Pope Francis has said is in line with the Church’s teachings; his way of saying things, though, has surprised people.

That, and I’d say that a secular media program of gaslighting is fogging the Holy Father’s message.

I suppose that would be evidence of being a myth*buster * {so to speak}.

Yet, many parts of the Pope’s messages on this topic is so well expressed in the late Fr. DuBay’s work: Authenticity. It should be required reading for Catholics!

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=918889

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.