Pope Francis: the merciful Father rejoices at the repentance of sinners [CWN]

Reflecting on the day’s Gospel reading at Mass (Lk. 15:1-32), Pope Francis emphasized during his September 11 Angelus address that the merciful God rejoices at the repentance of sinners.

More…

Amen! I read today that it is a dogma of the Church that even a repentant sinner that comes to confession with imperfect contrition, ex. out of fear of punishment, does so supernaturally. While perfect contrition is greater, imperfect contrition is good and supernatural as well.

I heard a priest say that St. Augustine said that every Catholic altar should have these words engraved on the front. ***“This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.” ***[FONT=Georgia]and I am one who rejoices always in that fact and that when I “came to myself” I came home to find my Father waiting to welcome me and all the angels in full party mode.

Yeah, I’m a repentant sinner and will probably argue a bit with St. Paul about him being the foremost of sinners. i often ask St. peter to pray for me because like him I can say to our Lord, [/FONT][FONT=Georgia]***[FONT=Palatino Linotype]“Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.”

***My response to all this with “[/FONT][/FONT]all glory and honor is yours, almighty Father, forever and ever.”

Thank you for this … as a sinner that has recently returned I take hope from the words of Pope Francis.

:hug3:Welcome home my sister!

Thank you so much.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.