Pope Francis thinking about declaring Pope Pius XII a Saint

This is interesting, I would be very happy if this happened.

"Vatican City, Jul 31, 2013 / 11:05 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Pope Francis is considering whether he will make Pope Pius XII a saint, in the same way that he approved the cause of John XXIII.

A source who works at the Vatican’s Congregation for Causes of Saints, who asked for anonymity, told CNA July 25 that “just as Pope Francis moved ahead with John XXIII’s canonization, he is considering the same thing for Pius XII.”…

Read the rest in the article here:

catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-francis-thinking-about-declaring-pius-xii-a-saint/

I’d be happy too since he wrote Humani Generis and harshly warned those who reject traditional theology.

Hope he does. I have long admired Pope Pius Xll.

Praying for this. :gopray2:

I will be praying that Pope Pius XII does become a saint. Please keep us posted MCCall

This would be a good idea; then he can canonize three popes on the same day. I hope he does it. :thumbsup:

Long overdue
I pray that it happens

I’m praying for this too. I longed thought Venerable Pius XII should be canonized along with Archbishop Fulton J Sheen. :smiley:

As Secretary of State for the Vatican, Eugenio Pacelli, later Pope Pius XII, ignored the pleas of knowledgeable Catholics, including then-Edith Stein, since canonized, in orchestrating the Concordat with the newly-elected Nazi government in 1933, thus helping the Third Reich, whose grasp on power was then shaky, consolidate its hold on Germany. Later, in the late 30s and early 40s, when the anti-Christian, totalitarian and murderous nature of the Third Reich was crystal clear, Pius XII still allowed a significant number of bishops and other clergy in Germany to urge loyalty to Hitler and the Third Reich. And, no, this doesn’t come from Hitler’s Pope by Cornwell but from a plethora of credible sources, such as Nazi Germany and the Third Reich by Guenter Lewy.

Despite his other accomplishments, I believe this failure of wisdom and foresight keeps Pius XII from being worthy of veneration.

There a many lies that have been told about Pope Pius XII by the enemies of the Church. Here’s a good book to read:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51H0GS01CML.jpg

I wonder if Pope Leo XIII will ever be canonized.

I think I’m going to have to buy some party supplies…

That would be a great move! It would certainly get lots of media coverage à la

“HITLER’S POPE TO BE DECLARED A SAINT”

which is a great moment to evangelise! :slight_smile:

I heard about this yesterday. That is really cool. I do hope that Pope Pius XII is canonized.

This is misinformation. Ronald Rychlak, a law professor, refutes these claims systematically in Hitler, the War and the Pope, which is perhaps the most comprehensive book on the topic. He also reveals that the defamation of Pius XII was in fact a Soviet plot, and the author of the infamous play “The Deputy” was merely a stooge of the communists: the power of the Eastern Bloc propaganda network and the complicity of sympathizers in the West smeared the pope’s good reputation practically overnight. Of course, there are still many enemies of the Church and its position on moral issues that have a vested interest in keeping the “black legend” alive.
amazon.com/Hitler-War-Pope-Ronald-Rychlak/dp/1592765653/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375475269&sr=1-2

This has been pretty well refuted, by numerous sources. There’s a good article on this very site, as a matter of fact: catholic.com/documents/how-pius-xii-protected-jews

Originally Posted by Schism hater
As Secretary of State for the Vatican, Eugenio Pacelli, later Pope Pius XII, ignored the pleas of knowledgeable Catholics, including then-Edith Stein, since canonized, in orchestrating the Concordat with the newly-elected Nazi government in 1933, thus helping the Third Reich, whose grasp on power was then shaky, consolidate its hold on Germany. Later, in the late 30s and early 40s, when the anti-Christian, totalitarian and murderous nature of the Third Reich was crystal clear, Pius XII still allowed a significant number of bishops and other clergy in Germany to urge loyalty to Hitler and the Third Reich. And, no, this doesn’t come from Hitler’s Pope by Cornwell but from a plethora of credible sources, such as Nazi Germany and the Third Reich by Guenter Lewy.

Despite his other accomplishments, I believe this failure of wisdom and foresight keeps Pius XII from being worthy of veneration.

This has been pretty well refuted, by numerous sources. There’s a good article on this very site, as a matter of fact: catholic.com/documents/ho…protected-jews

Uh, what exactly in what I posted has been “refuted”? Certainly nothing in the link you provided refuted anything I said; I didn’t see that it even made reference to the Concordat of 1933, which was the main point of my post. Yes, Pius XII helped rescue some Jews. He also never excommunicated those of their Nazi persecutors who were offically Catholics (including Adolf Hitler), nor did he ever urge German Catholics to refuse to fight for or act against their government. In fact, right up to 1945 some German bishops were urging their flock to fight for Hitler. That this was allowed to happen was due at least in part to Pius XII’s policy of “neutrality”, which he maintained right to the end of the war, and well after it was known that the Nazis were exterminating Jews. This is historical fact, and it doesn’t come from anti-Catholic bigots like Jack Chick or Dave Hunt, as your link suggests, it is related by scholars who wrote relatively soon after the war, before the pro and con Pius XII campaigns got going.

No, Pius XII didn’t go on the radio and blast the Nazis and encourage people to protect the Jews, nor did he go excommunicating lots of Nazis. Why not?

Maybe, just maybe, he understood that doing so would only increase the persecution of Catholic priests and bishops. Did some of the priests and bishops sympathize with the Nazis? Absolutely. Were they wrong? Obviously. But Pius XII knew very well that the Nazis would have totally overrun every Catholic parish in German-dominated Europe and slaughtered millions more, without making an impact or a dent in the Nazi war machine.

Not only that, but what Pius did say on the radio was enough to have his speeches banned from translation into German by the Nazis. Obviously they didn’t think he was their friend or ally.

To put this into some kind of perspective, consider the plight of Catholic priests, bishops, and lay people in China. They have to be underground, because the Communists will kill them if they find them. The Bishops are hidden for their own safety! If JPII had announced that certain priests had been raised to the Chinese bishopric and published their names, or had them come to Rome for photo ops, they would have been arrested and most likely killed as soon as they returned, along with anyone who worshipped with them.

So I suppose that by your standards, JPII didn’t do enough to stop the Communists from persecuting Christians in China.

This article is relevant
m.theage.com.au/world/former-pope-unfairly-criticised-by-jewish-lobby-fischer-20130804-2r7hv.html

"…The New York Jewish lobby has unfairly blackened the name of World War II pope Pius XII in the interests of a modern political agenda and needs to be challenged, former Australian deputy Prime Minister Tim Fischer has charged.
Pius has been criticised for not doing enough to protect Jews during the Holocaust, but Mr Fischer argues in a book launched in Melbourne on Friday that he did save Jews “and gets zero credit.
Mr Fischer, Australian ambassador to the Holy See for three years from 2008, …”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.