Pope Francis To Live In Guest House

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2013/03/26/pope-francis-to-live-in-guesthouse-rather-than-papal-apartments/

God Bless our Pope.:thumbsup:

What a great idea! Instead of living alone, he will be in a community of sorts, eating, praying and interacting with the other clerics who live there. What a well-grounded man the Cardinals chose as our Pope.

But I have a hunch many in the Curia are apoplectic, as it means not being able to keep as tight a rein on Francis as they would like, and not as much control over what he says, sees and hears.

A very wise and humble man is our good Pope.

Vatican City, Mar 26, 2013 / 10:06 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Pope Francis said this morning he will stay at Saint Martha’s residence instead of moving to the Apostolic Palace, according to the Vatican press office.

"After the Mass ended this morning, the Pope told those present that he intends to remain in the Casa Santa Marta and stay with the employees,"; said the Holy See's press office director, Father Federico Lombardi.

His comments came after a 7:00 a.m. Mass that he has been celebrating each day at the residence for Vatican staff who live in some of the rooms during the year.

Pope Francis has been staying at the residence instead of the papal apartment because of renovations that were taking place there. According to the Associated Press, those updates have been completed and the apartment is ready for the Pope to move in.

During the conclave, the year-round residents moved out for the cardinals to stay there. After the cardinals elected Pope Francis, they returned to their homes and the Pope moved into the residency’s papal suite, room 201.

He has invited street-sweepers, Vatican gardeners, the residency" staff and the Vatican newspaper's staff to take part in the daily Mass.

The seals of the papal apartment have been removed, but the Argentinian Pope will remain in St. Martha's residence for the time being.

Fr. Lombardi did not say if the Pope will move out in the future.

When he was in Buenos Aires, Pope Francis lived in a small apartment, instead of the grand archbishop’s residence.

For years, he cooked his own meals and traveled on public transport around the city.

feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/catholicnewsagency/dailynews?d=yIl2AUoC8zA
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/SZ3p4ekF4Ks

Full article…

As pope he may do as he pleases. My only concern is for the people who would usually care for a pope–what happens to them? Will they lose their jobs? I’m not saying Pope Francis would deliberately want to deprive anyone of employment, and as a Jesuit he has taken a vow of poverty, as I understand it, and that’s fine.

But, many people seem to think that merely because one has some privileges or a bit of wealth that they cannot understand the “common man” nor care about the poor, which is an unfair judgment to make. If all one had to do to go to heaven is be poor we’d all be trashing our possessions and begging in the streets.

Also, people who buy luxury items are supporting those businesses that make those things and so employ workers, not to mention the many small businesses that fill such niches in the marketplace. I often think our religious ought to take a few business courses just so they will understand the dynamics before they decide to deprive others of employment just to make a statement. Again, I’m not saying Pope Francis is doing that or would even think of it, but it’s a reality that cannot be overlooked in our rush to approve simplicity, which is not about wealth but about how one sees the world and lives in it.

It can be just as humbling to live in a large room that you doesn’t belong to you, is maintained by others for you, and which another will be inheriting after you’re gone and forgotten (how many of us know the names of all the popes–even those who lived in the papal apartments?). The papal apartments and all the art and beautiful surroundings of the Vatican are not any one person’s personal possessions, after all. They are held in trust as treasures for the human race.

But again, the pope may live wherever he pleases, but I don’t think we need rush out to rid ourselves of every small luxury, such a books or beloved family heirlooms, etc. simply because a pope vowed to poverty wishes to live his vow as he thinks best. No doubt there are those who will be inspired by Pope Francis and wish to live as he does, and again, that’s up to them. But I don’t think we need feel guilty about having a few possessions if we, in our turn are good to the poor and do not let our possessions possess us.

Interesting. I can see why he would be uncomfortable with the larger apartments because of his usual lifestyle. I have a feeling though that he may find it inconvenient to be moving back and forth after a short while. We will see. It’s not like anyone else will be living in the Papal apartments! :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s kind of my thought too. He may also decide that it’s not worth it to inconvenience everyone else that has to go back and forth as well. There’s a lot to be said for office, chapel and living quarters to all be in a single space.

I am not sure how far it is between the Pope’s new living quarters and where his office would be. It seems like he will be the one who will have to “walk to work” each day. As far as his household staff, I would think that they would be accomodated somehow.

I really like the idea that Francis will actually be able to interact with people other than his inner circle on a regular basis. That is good for him, good for the Church, and shows that he is not placing himself above everyone around him. Plus, when he finds it really difficult to make the journey from his living space to his office, it will be a good indication that he is near retirement.

I can’t imagine Peter ever distanced himself from the other disciples or from the people on the roads he traveled or in the villages he visited. I think this Pope has really got the right idea. Bless him.

This photo of Pope Francis on the Buenos Aires subway is consistent with his humble attitude. It’s not symbolism with Pope Francis - it is genuine humility.

God Bless our Holy Father! He truly is an inspiration and a model!

Good for him, really like this man.

It’s probably way too emotionally and physically jarring for him to go to a palace after the simple life he has led. Looks like he’s trying to keep his surroundings as simple as possible and as similar as he has always lived in his new circumstances, though it will be quite the challenge.

There are numerous staff members that need to be in contact with the Pope throughout the day and evening. Those are the people I was referring to. I kind of doubt the whole staff is moving into the guest house. Nor do I think the Pope will start having defined “office hours” and only be available during those delineated times. One way or the other, there will be a lot of back-and-forth for a lot of people. There’s not anything wrong with that but it is a consideration. It will likely result in a shorter “work day” for the Holy Father and that’s probably a good thing. Pope Benedict’s “work day” was from 6am to late in the evening and that can be exhausting after a time.

The Pope’s office, if I am not mistaken, is in the Papal apartments. So, they may repurpose the rest of the papal apartments or they might move the office somewhere else or he might have two offices - one near the Vatican business center and one at or near Casa Santa Marta. I am sure someone will find the decision media-worthy. :wink:

I really don’t think the Pope is telling everyone to give up their luxuries or wealth by choosing to live where he is. Jesuits are known to live in communities praying, eating, studying together, plus they are out among people teaching. They take a vow of poverty so that is what he is comfortable with, he isn’t asking anyone else to take a vow of poverty. People can help the poor without giving up all their own luxuries; for example they can give their time, knowledge, and understanding.

Pope Francis seems to be very intelligent man who deeply cares about people, all people, not just the poor. I am sure he is fully aware that all those people need to keep there jobs and I am sure he will find a good place for them instead of firing them. That would seem to go against the good nature he has shown so far.:thumbsup:

I think he is absolutely wonderful!

This perfectly sums up my thoughts on his decision, as well.

(Although, admittedly, it took me a few minutes of really thinking on this decision to come to this place of complete acceptance of it. I, too, was initially slightly taken aback. Now, I think it’s beautiful and in keeping with who he is showing himself to be…and I think it is just another expression of Christ.)

Which is what I said. :slight_smile: My concern is that now all Catholics will be judged by unequal standards by some inside the Church and many outside it. Many religious take vows of poverty, but lay people are not held to this. Believe me, there are going to be people who will misunderstand. This is not the pope’s fault, but I can see it happening. I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

Pope Francis seems to be very intelligent man who deeply cares about people, all people, not just the poor. I am sure he is fully aware that all those people need to keep there jobs and I am sure he will find a good place for them instead of firing them. That would seem to go against the good nature he has shown so far.:thumbsup:

I think he is absolutely wonderful!

Again, I went out of my way to state that the pope would not want to see people lose their jobs, and I doubt any of the regular staff will. It’s just that with certain positions one often does not have the luxury of not using what is in place. I don’t think it matters one way or the other if the pope lives in a palace or anywhere else. What matters is understanding that certain positions have certain obligations. I believe that in time Pope Francis will see that being pope is not the same thing as being an ordinary bishop or cardinal. He’s a head of state as well as a religious leader. I just think him living as he is makes it difficult for those serving him–not that he sees that at this time. It’d be like Elizabeth suddenly deciding to no longer use her estates and residences and live in an ordinary flat or the US president deciding to live someplace besides the WH. It would throw things into a tail spin for a lot of people, security not the least. I don’t blame the pope for this–I just think he may not be aware of the consequences for these people and so I hope he changes his mind in time.

It may be a problem for security. I would think that that is something he will have to get used to (especially after the attack on Pope JPII) with his wanting to be with the people.

That said, I think his words and actions are definitely to be lauded and will bring many to the Faith. I’ve already heard a protestant exclaiming over the new Pope!

How interesting that some people’s biggest worry is that they will be forced to give up luxuries of their own? The Holy Father did not ask any of us to give up anything. He did ask us to be generous with the poor. Excessive worry about what he “might” do based on his own personal decisions might say more about our own attachments than anything else.

Yup. The Holy Father lived very simply as Cardinal, as well. Didn’t “force” anyone else to do so, as far as I can tell. I think that it is a fantastic witness.

I agree with you. I don’t want to come off as critical of Pope Francis (because I certainly am NOT), neither do I want to imply that his style is ‘better than’ or ‘worse than’ Pope Benedict, or Pope John Paul II, or whatever. But unfortunately, in the Internet age and with current societal trends, any person’s actions, and especially that of a head of state like the Pope, are NOT seen as simple actions, but are skewed and twisted into representing whatever POV any other individual has.

If a person has the idea that simplicity means 'simple, necessary, yet adequate functions/actions/clothing/food, that person’s idea is different from another who may think that simplicity means 'absolute poverty, absolutely NOTHING more than bare subsistence.

One person’s simple living would be a person in a simple home with functioning stove, stocked pantry, one car in a garage, adequate clothing for the climate and job, plenty of books, etc. . .

While the ‘radical’ simple person’s idea would be that SAME person having to live in a two room ‘storage’ shed, without heat or running water, eating one meal a day of nothing but fruit, vegetables and water, bought on sale because they were starting to spoil, with the person having only one outfit which he is to wear until it is so worn and threadbare that it become indecent. . .

To the latter person, the first person’s view of ‘simplicity’ sounds like almost indecent wealth and comfort. To the former, the latter’s view is extremist and in fact counterproductive as it doesn’t really ‘give’ to others and deprives the latter person unnecessarily.

Too many people seem to think that Pope Francis’ statements and actions are INDICTMENTS of Pope Benedict, Pope John Paul II, and others, and that by his ACTIONS he is saying that the actions of those Popes were unnecessarily luxurious, that they did not live APPROPRIATE Christian lives, etc. Of course this is not what Pope Francis is saying or implying, but by golly, listen to the MSN and some (not all) posters here, and that’s what they THINK he is saying!

I would not be at all surprized if we see a lot of changes and experimenting to try and reconcile things like security with the Pope’s Jesuit inclinations. The Holy Father really has three “jobs”. He is the spiritual leader of the Church; he is the organizational leader of the Church AND he head of state of Vatican City. So far, we have seen a lot that tells us how he will act in the first job but we have to be patient to see how he lays out his mission for the other two “jobs”. After Easter, I am sure he will be under some pressure to define what “business-as-usual” will look like for his pontificate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.