Pope Francis

I was wondering if Pope Francis has said anything about whether dogs go to Heaven after they die? Anyone know?

No, he hasn’t.

But I believe the Church does say that dogs, like all other living things except for humans, have material or mortal souls and not souls like we have. These souls are believed to cease after the death of their body, that they do not have immortal souls like humans do.

Hi,

My answer would be at this point: I don’t know. Whether they are or are not doesn’t change anything. But, how would one reconcile this?

Rev. 5:11 – 14
“In my vision, I heard the sound of an immense number of angels gathered round
the throne and the ANIMALS and the elders; there were ten thousand times ten
thousand of them and thousands upon thousands, shouting, The Lamb that was sacrificed is worthy to be given power, riches, wisdom, strength, honour, glory and blessing'. Then I heard all the living things in creation—everything that lives in the air, and on the ground, and under the ground, and in the sea, crying,To
the One who is sitting on the throne and to the Lamb, be all praise, honour, glory
and power, for ever and ever’. And the four ANIMALS said `Amen’; and the
elders prostrated themselves to worship.” (The Jerusalem Bible [Catholic
translation]).

Yet theologians also speculate that because all creation is waiting with labour pains for the renewal at the end of time, that in the New Heavens and New Earth all material creatures might be brought back in some form. Some take the Isaiah passage about the “lion lying down with the kid” more literally than others.

So while Pope Francis has said nothing about the fate of animals after death, this is a possibility. The fact that they do not have an immortal soul does not preclude the possibility that they might be “restored” in the New Creation in a glorified mode of existence.

Why do you ask? Because St. Francis loved animals so?

Maybe because he is worried about his pet.

I teach religious ed and I got this question from a 3rd grader who wanted to know if she had to get her puppy baptized ugh! I couldn’t lie to her so I told her no because her puppy didn’t have a soul but nothing in scripture says being human is the only requirement to be God’s friend so maybe in a way we don’t know about yet our pets will be with us in heaven.

All pets go to a heaven, right over the rainbow bridge from where I hope to be. :slight_smile:

I hope so, too. :slight_smile:

Animals have no place in heaven because they have a sensible soul, not a rational soul like us. They will not be able to carry out any purpose in the spiritual heaven.

However, at the resurrection of the dead, we will all be living on earth again in our physical bodies. There will most likely be animals on the earth at the resurrection because on earth they can fulfill the purpose of having sensible souls. :slight_smile:

Me three!

I hope you’re wrong and hope that someday St. Francis will address this question.

Has anyone here taken their animals for a Blessing of the Animals?
I haven’t but want to, next time a nearby parish does this. Mine doesn’t.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.