Pope Francis

There are Protestants that Pope Francis is against someone having a personal relationship with Jesus. has any one heard of this!:confused:

It’s up to the person making the claim to back it up with proof.

I haven’t heard this particular non-sense, but no, there isn’t a damn thing to it.

Just another baseless, virulent, deceitful attempt by some protestants to slander the One True Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church that Christ actually founded, and which He bequeathed to us.

Don’t sweat it. There are new similarly baseless attacks invented daily…

…but by ‘don’t sweat it’, I don’t mean just ignore it; confront it, expose it as bogus the best you can, as often as you can–just don’t lose sleep over the merits of it, and don’t get frustrated at their stubbornness in resisting the Truth.

NB: He’s a Jesuit. Society of Jesus. Those guys are, and have always been, pretty big on ‘the relationship’ thing.

(heck, it’s been an integral part of Catholicism–that is, Christianity–since its inception–which is long before a thing known as protestantism had even been conceived–the way some Protestants talk, they act like they invented the personal relationship with Christ, or like they discovered Jesus in the Bible, and that all the Christians before Luther, didn’t know anything about Jesus…).

It began with this:
Pope Francis, General Audience, St. Peter’s Square, Wednesday, 25 June 2014
Please read it. It is not long, and it is beautiful.
(I apologize for not summarizing it; I am in a great hurry and shouldn’t even be posting now!)

Here is a news brief on the contentious point:
National Catholic Reporter - Church is essential for faith; there are no ‘free agents,’ pope says

And can these people back up what they say? Or are they merely slandering the pope?

We can look to some of his own words about what he believes. Here are a couple of quotes from Evangelium Gaudium:
[LIST]
*]3. I invite all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ, or at least an openness to letting him encounter them; I ask all of you to do this unfailingly each day.
*]264. The primary reason for evangelizing is the love of Jesus which we have received, the experience of salvation which urges us to ever greater love of him.
*]266. …It is impossible to persevere in a fervent evangelization unless we are convinced from personal experience that it is not the same thing to have known Jesus as not to have known him, not the same thing to walk with him as to walk blindly, not the same thing to hear his word as not to know it, and not the same thing to contemplate him, to worship him, to find our peace in him, as not to.
[/LIST]

As a Jesuit he would have completed and probably led others in the Spiritual Exercises. They are completely about getting to know, love, and follow Jesus.

Perhaps your Protestant friends could cite some evidence rather than spouting off without reason. If they have no evidence then they have no argument.

:thumbsup:

They are taking him out of context.:mad:

We should not be so quick to dismiss the concerns of our Protestant brethren. Cases like this give us an opportunity to teach and correct, to bring others closer to the faith, and to build up the Church. If we dismiss their concerns without hearing and considering that there may be some basis (in this case, words out of context), we are missing an opportunity to bring Protestants closer to the Catholic Church.

Peace!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.