Pope institutes commission for protecting minors

Vatican City, Mar 22, 2014 / 08:21 am (CNA).- Today Pope Francis instituted the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, issuing the names of eight members tasked with structuring the future form of the commission.

“Pope Francis has made clear that the Church must hold the protection of minors amongst her highest priorities. Today, to carry forward this initiative, the Holy Father announces the names of several highly qualified persons who are committed to this issue,” said Fr. Lombardi, the director of the Holy See’s press office, on March 22.

A statement from the Vatican press office noted that the members’ “principal role will be to prepare the Statutes of the Commission, which will define its tasks and competencies. Other members will be added to the Commission in the future, chosen from various geographical areas of the world.”

catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-institutes-commission-for-protecting-minors

I’m still a little unclear on the mission of this new,commission…after it’s formed, I mean. I’d like to see their “charter” and duties after they come up with one.

I wonder, also, if there is a timeline for its institution, and if they’ll be taking over existing cases to investigate.

I don’t want to say this is just a big token enterprise, but I really wonder what they can really do. Not just what authority they may have, but I don’t think they have the ability to enforce anything. If it’s just more policies policies policies then, meh. Every diocese in the USA has that already.

John Allen commented a few times that he thinks that while this is mostly over in the USA, Canada, and Europe, in the rest of the world the abuse stuff has not been uncovered yet, and there could still yet be more crises. So maybe this commission is more for those parts of the world.

it is coming off as too little too late, but i guess one could say better late than never.

What excatly can this commission do and what authority does it have to do anything ?

I am just a bit more hopeful. If this commission can take over the allegations of abuse from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith and perhaps report directly to the Pontiff, then this, may be a good thing in streamlining the investigative process.

I think you are right. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the new commission’s statutes used the USCCB Charter as a starting point.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.