Pope is most influential, second most-followed world leader on Twitter

Pope is most influential, second most-followed world leader on Twitter

By Carol Glatz
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) – Pope Francis is the most influential world leader on Twitter, with the highest number of retweets worldwide.

He also is the second most-followed leader of the world, running behind – albeit by a long stretch – U.S. President Barack Obama.

The rankings were released July 24 in a recent study titled “Twiplomacy,” which refers to the use of Twitter by world leaders.

(read more)

Pope Francis only has about 1/5 the number of Twitter followers as Obama. But his tweets get re-tweeted about ten times more.

Go Pope Francis! :slight_smile:

Obama being the most followed world leader only reinforces what I have been wondering about him.

But I doubt that the Holy Father bought half his followers

That Jay Carney has 280,000 twitter handles?

I would guess that at least part of the reason for that Twitter has a disproportinate number of American users (relative to global population) and that Twitter has gained steam concurrently with Obama’s presidency.

Not that that’s the whole reason to be sure. :stuck_out_tongue:

Which is part of the reason why Pope Francis gets so many more re-tweets. :slight_smile:

He also is the second most-followed leader of the world, running behind – albeit by a long stretch – U.S. President Barack Obama.

Sad.

Interesting! I would not “follow” Mr. Obama anywhere; however I freely follow and “follow” His Holiness Pope Francis.:thumbsup:

Obama leads those who follow him away from the bishops.

Not bad for someone tweeting in Latin.

His latest:

Nulla, cum magna tum parva, datur crux quin nobiscum communicet Dominus.

The Lord God created man with an intellect. 80% of the population doesn’t know it.

This is the Twitter page for the Pope. I follow it.

I see that right now (12:30 a.m. - midnight - Sunday) that His Holiness most recently tweeted 6 hours ago. Yet – his plane left Brazil only a few hours ago! I wonder if he tweeted from his seat on that plane that had just begun its flight back East to Rome?

I see that he has tweeted at least once, more often two or three times, every day while he was in Brazil!

3 times - July 27th
3 times - July 26th
3 times - July 25th
2 times - July 24th
3 times - July 23rd
2 times - July 22nd

1 time - each day on the days prior to July 22nd

He tweeted more often when he was on his own pilgrimage in Brazil than he does when he’s at home in Rome. Like me when I’m on vacation. I tend to want to – and do – write a lot of postcards while I’m still on site!

https://twitter.com/pontifex

The papal Twitter page was started by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI (I think it was) a month before Benedict renounced the Papacy. He certainly was on the front edge of communicating with the world – even technically.

Now, the papal Twitter page is written by Pope Francis. Note that Francis did not change the name of the papal Twitter page. It’s still “pontifex.”

I can’t see (or find) any tweets that were posted on twitter.com/pontifex before March 17, 2013. All 110 tweets on the pontifex Twitter page right now are written by Pope Francis. So it seems that the Twitter page is for the actual person, and not the office.

I wonder if I could find Benedict’s twitter page. Hmmm… here it is -->

He began it on December 12, 2012. There’s only 8 tweets on it.

His most recent tweet he wrote on April 18, 2013 asking us to join him in praying with Pope Francis for the victims of the explosion in Texas.

twitter.com/PopeBenedictXIV

Thanks! I knew that with the vacant see they basically deleted all of Benedict’s tweets. I didn’t realize (or maybe I just didn’t remember :o) that they transferred it to a new Twitter account.

The Pope represents Jesus, who has more follower’s than anyone, I won’t tell you who Obama follows, but it isn’t Jesus Christ…

Benedict’s tweets were all removed and replaced with a “Sede Vacante” message, until the new pope was chosen.

The Vatican archived Benedict’s tweets at news.va/en/twitter_archive

The @PopeBenedictXIV account is a fake account. See newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shepherd/2011/06/30/msnbc-duped-fake-pope-benedict-account .

I won’t tell you who Obama follows, but it isn’t Jesus Christ…

Do you think implying that a professed Christian follows the devil becomes morally acceptable if you don’t completely spell it out?

Today’s tweet. (somewhat different than the English translation)

Mirabilem Sancti Sebastiani Fluminis Ianuarii in urbe transegimus hebdomadem. Omnibus gratias agimus. Orate pro me.

“Thus you will know them by their fruits.” - Matthew 7:20

Hahahahahahahahaha!! :smiley:

That Pope was a visionary. Started posting to twitter 250 years before anyone else :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.