Pope John Paul 1

If Pope John Paul 1 stayed in th office for years, what could happened into the catholic church. He is a “liberal reformist” as some say and trying to everse the church’s position on contraception.

Well, if he was Pope longer than he ended up being I suppose he would have introduced more liberal teaching. That is if indeed he was liberal. I don’t know that for sure and I’m just taking your word for it. However, the Holy Spirit guides the Church and knew very well how long JPI was going to stay in office so there was never any danger of liberalism entering the Church through JPI.

[quote=viktor aleksndr]If Pope John Paul 1 stayed in th office for years, what could happened into the catholic church. He is a “liberal reformist” as some say and trying to everse the church’s position on contraception.
[/quote]

I don’t think JP I was in office long enough for anyone to say he was trying to reverse or endorse anything. The man served for 33 days. It’s taken 40 years for people to start thinking about what Vatican II really means.

I have a question actually…what if the Bishops around the world rejected Contraception, but the Pope in Charge makes an infallible statement accepting Contraception in certain circumstances. Would this statement be accepted? Would the majority of Bishops not have to hold the universal belief?

I am asking this hypothetically, even though I know that the Holy Spirit will continue to protect the Church as Jesus promised.

Superstar,

I don’t know about every single Bishop. That is a hypothetical case.
But in the case of the Arian heresy at the time of the council of Nicea, the majority of the Bishops were Arian at the time and were guilty of material heresy. The pope was a part of a small majority of Bishops that held the true orthodox Catholic faith. Even some of the Patriarchs of the East held the Arian heresy.

So this has happened before to a certain extent. And yet even when the Bishops of the Church leave the orthodox faith, the Bishop of Rome will always have the charism of the Holy Spirit to discern the truth.

And i think this was the case with Humanae Vitae, when most everyone who advised the pope told Paul VI to change the Church’s stance on contraception.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.