Pope John Paul II 'could not cure drooling, trembling woman during Vatican exorcism'

According to a Fr. Amorth. Pope JPII tried to exercise a young girl back in 2000 but was unsuccessful. Apparently this was a very strong demon and took quite alot of effort to get rid of. Amorth did acknowledge that JPII’s initial exorcism did leave a trace even if it didn’t work out at first.

Here is the link to the news article: BTW there is a bit of secular cynicism in this so just be aware. I would advise not to read the comments section of it :mad:

telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9066773/Pope-John-Paul-II-could-not-cure-drooling-trembling-woman-during-Vatican-exorcism.html

What do you think?

I watched a programme about exorcism and I think it was claimed that it could take time to get rid of a demon with prayer, holy water, etc. but I am not sure if that was in reference to possessed people or only houses that have been inflitrated.

1. It’s “exorcise”, not “exercise.”

2. And no Pope can cure anything.

To be honest it sounds more like an epileptic attack than anything else and I have come to regard some of what Father Amorth says with a certain degree of caution.

Not sure what the point of this article is. Is it meant to discredit Blessed John Paul II ? It seems to me that exorcising a demon or demons from a possessed person can be a process taking several weeks, if not months, and that would hold true even if the exorcist is the Pope. Last year I read the book Possessed by John Allen- or was it Thomas Allen?. Not sure of the author but it’s the original true story that the book and film titled The Exorcist is based on and it was excellent. The process of exorcising the young boy took weeks and was quite an ordeal. Toward the end the main exorcist had several stys on his eyes and was covered in boils.

Obviously, JPII offering the Mass helped. Most people don’t understand that formal exorcism is not necessarily only one session. For some people, it may take many sessions, sometimes years, because the demon needs to give you its name before it can be exorcised.

It is the power of God that casts out demons, not to mention that He is the one that must will it. If God didn’t will a certain outcome at a certain time that’s His business. Our job is to pray and sacrifice.

This is correct. :thumbsup: He can be read if you’re already firmly grounded in the faith, but some of his positions are rather dodgy, in particular:

1. his description of Hell

2. his excessive willingness to credit Protestant “deliverance ministries”

3. the frankly bizarre nature of some of what he describes, which is consistent with neither Scripture nor Tradition and has more to do with popular superstition

4. the number of exorcisms he claims to have performed

5. the veiled allegation that anyone who doesn’t take him seriously is a secular modernist :smiley:

6. his jumping on the Harry Potter moral panic bandwagon, with nary a criticism of far worse works of fiction or art (Philip Pullman comes to mind.)

Listen to him as you would to an old professor of psychiatry - there’s wisdom, but there’s also eccentricity and prejudice. :slight_smile:

I view him as having dealt with the enemy in combat for a long time and having become somewhat damaged as a result. The whole Harry Potter business has as you probably know been a long time forum user also come up here at the forums more often than the lifts in the Empire State building.

The article simplifies the issue of exorcism to an unhelpful and misleading degree. Exorcism is often times not a thing completed within one session, as Fr. Amorth has made clear in his book. The article seems to suggest that Bl. Pope John Paul II failed and therefore exorcism was an imaginary thing.

As for Fr. Amorth’s account that the woman “walked up the wall against all laws of gravity”, well, I don’t know. Obviously secularists and atheists will dismiss this as absurd. We don’t know whether it actually happened, but I do believe that there is inexplicable behaviour in the possessed. If, for example, they can be aware of the unknowable, it doesn’t seem far fetched they could do these things. It may have happened, it mightn’t have. We would only know if we had been there with Fr. Amorth.

Interesting Benedict is mentioned. I like to think of our Popes (I am still awed by the fact I can say “our” Popes :slight_smile: ) as our Generals in spiritual battle. :knight2:

Be aware, that “blessings” can often be misunderstood, esp. by the media, to be “exorcisms”. Remember Pope Francis’ case a few months back?

That’s a very good way of putting it. Men on the frontline of spiritual warfare certainly will have the scars to show for it (a “spiritual PTSD”, if you will?) There’s a lot of wisdom in what he writes, but not everything he says is Gospel truth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.