Pope kissed the Quran?

I was speaking with an anti-Catholic Protestant on Saturday night and he claimed that the Pope had kissed the Quran during some interfaith service. Does anyone know if either JohnPaul or Benedict did this? If so, what were the circumstances? Is this just an anti-Catholic lie?

Pope John Paul II kissed the Quran. I don’t get the big deal of it though. Was he supposed to have burnt it instead? Muslims worship the same God we do, so no point in angering them further towards Christianity. Maybe kissing the Quran is what one is supposed to do when presented it. People will make a big deal out of one act, without knowing any of the facts. Thats just silly. I’m sure the Pope had a reason for what he did, and no one but God can persecute him for it, especially when no one else can know the reasons for it.

One needs to keep an open mind that the kiss might have been a polite way of showing respect. I have grave doubt that Muslims thought this meant he was going to convert. Just a reminder that the Crusades were over?

If there was a reason for me to kiss the Quran that did NOT require me to abandon the Catholic faith, I’d probably do it also.

Protestants in general have a narrow view of what constitutes worship so they get very upset by gestures that seem innocent to us.

Kissing the Koran does not imply that he agrees with the entire book only that he can view some wisdom in it. Due to the natural laws that were put on all mens’ souls there is going to be some truth and beauty in most religions. Therefore being respectful is not a bad thing.

Only Catholicism has the fullness of the truth though.

Thanks for your help guys. I found another link that went into depth about it. While I disagree with kissing it, I don’t think the Pope doing so implies anything more than respect.

Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. (1 Corinthians 9:19-22)

To echo the above post Pope JPII kissed the ground in every country he visited, the moment he stepped off the plane. It is very good, the Pope becomes like an native of each country through this gesture of respect.
Very like what St. Paul said about being all things to all men…

Question answered.
Thread closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.