Pope Launches Crackdown on Medjugorje

The Pope has begun a crackdown on the world’s largest illicit Catholic shrine – by suspending the priest at the centre of claims that the Virgin Mary has appeared more than 40,000 times.

More...

Isn't this old news? :shrug:

From the website

Last updated at 10:03 PM on 3rd September 2008

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1052230/Pope-finally-launches-crackdown-worlds-largest-illicit-Catholic-shrine-suspends-dubious-priest.html#ixzz1RrrKcnHy

By the way, I know Pope Benedict XVI visited Croatia. Did he also visit Medjugorje?

catholictv.com/Pope-Benedict-XVI-Croatia-June-4-5.aspx

Whether this is not approved or not approved yet I don't see any reason why Pope Benedict XVI cannot visit Medjugorje.

• What do the people of Medjugorje have to do? I mean if they were to stop this Marian Shrine can they convert it and dedicate to a different Marian Shrine? ie/ Our Lady of Mount Carmel?

If you're wondering no I do not support or promote Our Lady of Medjugorje and I do apologize if this post or my questions don't make sense.

No, its not old news.
***It
s Ancient History!***

He`s been Mr. Vlasic for more than two years.

Rip van Winkle revisited? :shrug:

Without even searching for info, im absolutely certain that Pope Benedict would NOT visit Medjugorje. Even if he accepts the claims, and im pretty sure that he doesn`t, visiting the place would be an act of betrayal of Bishop Peric; plus, of course, ammo for its promoters.
No pope would do such a thing.

Off to the side a bit, but:
The late Pope John Paul II supposedly supported Medjugorje.
Bishop Peric rejects Medjugorje.
Bishop Peric was appointed by Pope John Paul II!

[quote="goforgoal, post:2, topic:247750"]
By the way, I know Pope Benedict XVI visited Croatia. Did he also visit Medjugorje?

[/quote]

He did not visit Medjugorje.

I am glad something is being done about this place. Really curious to see how things develop.

[quote="Fink, post:3, topic:247750"]
No, its not old news.
***It
s Ancient History!***

He`s been Mr. Vlasic for more than two years.

Rip van Winkle revisited? :shrug:

Without even searching for info, im absolutely certain that Pope Benedict would NOT visit Medjugorje. Even if he accepts the claims, and im pretty sure that he doesn`t, visiting the place would be an act of betrayal of Bishop Peric; plus, of course, ammo for its promoters.
No pope would do such a thing.

Off to the side a bit, but:
The late Pope John Paul II supposedly supported Medjugorje.
Bishop Peric rejects Medjugorje.
Bishop Peric was appointed by Pope John Paul II!

[/quote]

Pope John Paul II did not support the alleged apparitions/messages at Medjugorie. That was false and spread by supporters of the apparitions to try to claim legitimacy.
Pope Benedict XVI, while still Cardinal Ratzinger, called Medjugorie a hoax so its highly unlikely he would have visited it.
Three Bishops Commissions have declared there is no evidence of any supernatural happenings there and stated the visionaries were frauds.
Local Franciscan priests there who are perpetuating the alleged apparitions have had their faculties suspended so they cannot say Mass or hear Confessions.
Because of the controversy the CDF in Rome took over and their first act was to suspend another priest at the centre of these apparitions.

I firmly believe the alleged apparitions are false and at some stage the CDF will declare so.

I have decided to suspend judgement on this shrine until there is more definite information. One corrupt priest however doesn't really justify a judgement on the shrine. Even Jesus had Judas in his company. Nor does this article actually show that the Church has decided to "crackdown" on the shrine. So I will still wait to decide what to think about this shrine.
This article does have some misinformation. At the end of this article, it says the Pope said in 1985 no pilgrimages to this shrine. However, instead, the Pope said no parish-led pilgrimages, without fobidding pilgrimages from other sources. So perhaps to some extent, this article has some misinformation.

[quote="thistle, post:5, topic:247750"]
Pope John Paul II did not support the alleged apparitions/messages at Medjugorie. That was false and spread by supporters of the apparitions to try to claim legitimacy.

[/quote]

i know he didnt support it; certainly not in public, anyway.
What i was geting at in those last few lines was: if Pope John Paul really did support the alleged "apparitions", why did he appoint a bishop who he would already have known was hostile to it?
The original intention with that first post was to expand on those last three lines......but i ran out of edit time. :blush: That
s typical!

I firmly believe the alleged apparitions are false and at some stage the CDF will declare so.

im with you, but:
Will it be in your lifetime, and mine? :shrug:
Honestly, i
m sick of how long it takes for some things to happen in the Church!

PS
mdg:
Youll have to include Fr. Zovko. Hes not Romes favourite Franciscan!
Add to that:
The public disobedience of the "visionaries" and their associates is not a good sign.
And to repeat:
That article
s Ancient History, anyway.

[quote="mdgspencer, post:6, topic:247750"]
I have decided to suspend judgement on this shrine until there is more definite information. One corrupt priest however doesn't really justify a judgement on the shrine. Even Jesus had Judas in his company. Nor does this article actually show that the Church has decided to "crackdown" on the shrine. So I will still wait to decide what to think about this shrine.
This article does have some misinformation. At the end of this article, it says the Pope said in 1985 no pilgrimages to this shrine. However, instead, the Pope said no parish-led pilgrimages, without fobidding pilgrimages from other sources. So perhaps to some extent, this article has some misinformation.

[/quote]

Three commissions and the local bishop, what more is needed?

Also it is not one corrupt priest, but two.

Typically it is for the local bishop to rule on such things.

So for me, it is enough that the local bishop has ruled that this is not a true apparition.

It is funny how when a negative ruling comes out people want more information especially when they are not entitled to it. Obedience does not work that way.

I wish the pope would shut this thing down already. . . . . .

People are going blind for staring at the sun- that's ridiculous!!

[quote="ringil, post:9, topic:247750"]
I wish the pope would shut this thing down already. . . . . .

People are going blind for staring at the sun- that's ridiculous!!

[/quote]

Catholics attempting to poison-the-well of these Marian Apparitions are hindering the Vatican investigation. People cast stones at the Fatima children for years after the Miracle of the Sun. It took 13 years and a change of Bishops before a “Worthy of Belief” was issued by the Church.

It is uncharitable to cast stones and mud sling the visionaries while the Vatican Investigation is in progress.

God Bless

[quote="Insight, post:10, topic:247750"]
Catholics attempting to poison-the-well of these Marian Apparitions are hindering the Vatican investigation. People cast stones at the Fatima children for years after the Miracle of the Sun. It took 13 years and a change of Bishops before a “Worthy of Belief” was issued by the Church.

It is uncharitable to cast stones and mud sling the visionaries while the Vatican Investigation is in progress.

God Bless

[/quote]

it has been over 20 years since the 'apparitions' began. This is not a good sign since all other apparitions only appeared for a brief period. I think it is time to let go of this apparition and accept that it is unworthy of belief.

Is it just me, or does Pope Benedict totally rock? I am so proud to call him the Holy Father!

Why is this thread allowed?

If we cannot discuss unapproved apparitions to support them, why are we having a thread to cast stones at one them?

It does not seem right!!! :frowning:

[quote="Insight, post:10, topic:247750"]

God Bless

[/quote]

Most of the mud slinging is being done by the promoters. Do you think it`s OK to vilify the Bishop?
The "visionaries" have been guilty of showing contempt for, and disobeying, Bishop Peric (and his predecessor) almost from the start! :(

To repeat something from an earlier post:
Its alleged that Pope John Paul supported it. He would have been aware of Bishop Perics view; so, if JPII did, in fact, approve of it, why did he appoint Bishop Peric to the Diocese of Mostar-Duvno?

PS
Edward: Please rein in your emotions!
Has it ever crossed your mind that those of us who reject it have plenty of evidence to back us up?
Are you (deliberately} trying to close this thread?

Again:

[quote="Edward_Henry, post:13, topic:247750"]
Why is this thread allowed?

If we cannot discuss unapproved apparitions to support them, why are we having a thread to cast stones at one them?

It does not seem right!!! :(

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1374/1446885611_9995ef1a5b.jpg

[/quote]

We are at the risk of commiting a pretentious Pharisee-like judgment. Let's allow the Vatican to make the final call! :thumbsup:

To Jesus through Mary :thumbsup:

[quote="Fink, post:14, topic:247750"]

PS
Edward: Please rein in your emotions!
Has it ever crossed your mind that those of us who reject it have plenty of evidence to back us up?
Are you (deliberately} trying to close this thread?

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Sometimes it's best to just ignore people.

[quote="Edward_Henry, post:15, topic:247750"]
Again:

We are at the risk of commiting a pretentious Pharisee-like judgment. Let's allow the Vatican to make the final call! :thumbsup:

To Jesus through Mary :thumbsup:

[/quote]

We do not need to allow the Vatican any such thing. Three bishops commissions and two local bishops have ruled.

Why do you need more? Is it that you are going to continue until you get the answer you want?

I am not even aware that the Vatican is studying this at this time.

Having said that, even if the Vatican does rule this as "worthy of belief" it will not be a required belief and any faithful Catholic may disbelieve.

With all the dissent shown by the religious and visionaries as well as the actions of the visionaries and the questionable "messages" they relate I for one, no matter what the Vatican decides, will not believe in this private revelation.

[quote="Edward_Henry, post:15, topic:247750"]
Again:

.*** Let's allow ****the Vatican to make the final call*! :thumbsup:

[/quote]

If only you promoters would do the same! :(
Hysteria is counterproductive; and only reinforces our (the "unbelievers") convictions about you.

God is a God of unity and reason: not of out-of-control emotions......and disobedience towards the exercising of the legitimate authority of Bishops. And vilifying them!

[quote="ByzCath, post:17, topic:247750"]
We do not need to allow the Vatican any such thing. Three bishops commissions and two local bishops have ruled.

Why do you need more? Is it that you are going to continue until you get the answer you want?

I am not even aware that the Vatican is studying this at this time.

Having said that, even if the Vatican does rule this as "worthy of belief" it will not be a required belief and any faithful Catholic may disbelieve.

With all the dissent shown by the religious and visionaries as well as the actions of the visionaries and the questionable "messages" they relate I for one, no matter what the Vatican decides, will not believe in this private revelation.

[/quote]

So... should we make the call for them?:shrug:

[quote="Fink, post:18, topic:247750"]
If only you promoters would do the same! :(
Hysteria is counterproductive; and only reinforces our (the "unbelievers") convictions about you.

God is a God of unity and reason: not of out-of-control emotions......and disobedience towards the exercising of the legitimate authority of Bishops. And vilifying them!

[/quote]

No one is promoting anything here. It is just that threads used to release angry attacks are not what I look for in a Catholic forum.

**If you cannot say anything nice... you better .... **(you can finish that one):confused:

Let's choose not to bring it up to promote nor to throw mud at it.... God is in control.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.