Pope Makes a Mark (Oh No! Sunday Worship!)

This article is published in “The Trumpet,” the monthly house paper of the Philadelphia Church of God, of Herbert W. Armstrong lineage.

========================================

Pope Makes a Mark
By Ron Fraser
Monday, June 6, 2005

Pope Benedict XVI hasn’t wasted any time in delineating the fundamental issues of his papacy. The topic of a recent message by the pontiff identifies an issue which conjures images of chilling history and dreadful prophecies.

On Sunday, May 29, Pope Benedict xvi nailed his colors to the mast on a primary issue which he sees as fundamental to his papacy. At a mass celebrating the closing of the 24th National Eucharistic Congress, delivered before an audience of some 200,000 in the Italian city of Bari, Benedict declared that fundamental to his mission was the reinforcement of Sunday worship.

To students of history, this is chilling stuff. It bespeaks a return to the papacies of old, the papacies of that ever recurring imperial European power, the Holy Roman Empire. In declaring this basic tenet of his papal ideology, the pope is simply publicizing to the world that he is bent on a crusade to resurrect that ancient entity.

Pope Benedict perceives only too well the secularist moral vacuum which has plagued Europe since the time of the Enlightenment. He is simply intent on filling that vacuum—the old Roman way! That way was never sympathetic to a voluntary accession by the public to its tenets. Rather, as even a cursory study of history will reveal, it was imposed by force—force of arms! As Texas-based think tank Stratfor mused, “Europe, for geopolitical reasons, cannot be unified except beneath the heel of a conqueror” (June 2).

European unification, following the recent and resounding rejections of the European Constitution by both France and the Netherlands in the past week’s referenda, appears to be in disarray. But this pope’s dream is in concert with that of his predecessor, John Paul ii. It’s a vision that pictures a Europe united from the North Sea in the west to the Ural Mountains in the east.

It is a vision of continental proportions. The only times throughout history that vision has been fully realized has been when Rome imposed its religion as, to borrow a phrase from Karl Marx, “the opiate of the people.” With its plebeians thus drugged with a common religious ideology, the Roman Empire was able to hang together in repeated resurrections following Charlemagne’s “conversion” in the eighth century and wreak havoc on those who might deign to resist its will and whim.

Pope Benedict deeply understands the impact of the iconic on the masses. To this end he is committed to reinstating the active observance of the Roman Catholic Church’s chief icon—SUNDAY. He knows that to popularize religion in Europe he has to reintroduce a means of promoting what in marketing terms is known as brand loyalty. The most historic brand which the pope can offer to the people with which to identify in a common bond is the ancient day of worship, fashionable since Babylon, the old day of the sun—Sunday. Hence his forceful promotion of that old Roman brand . . .

Full article

OH MY GOSH! How horrible that our Pope would encourage Catholics to attend Sunday worship services! What is wrong with him??? What is he thinking???

(that was sarcasm for anyone who missed it)

What is the huge deal…haven’t catholics in Europe had a sunday obligation…I thought they had for…oh, say…2000 years?

Was the author of that article trying to write a comedy piece?

I can only assume he was, with his talk of “chilling stuff” and “imperial power” just because Pope Benedict wants to reinforce Sunday worship.

I mean, heaven forbid the “moral vacuum” should be filled! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(Yeah, that was sarcasm, too :wink: )

Crazy Internet Junkie Society
****Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

I think we must have the first pope in history not to be guided by the Holy Spirit. I mean, telling people to go to mass on Sunday??? I think I’m going to become SDA.

also sarcasm

I’ll really start worrying when he makes us put Sunday on the right hand or the forehead. I don’t know how he’ll manage it, but I’m sure he’ll find a way. After all, if he didn’t, how could he be the antichrist?

By the way, like many previous posts, this was sarcastic.

Next thing you know, he’ll say we should go to confession at least once a year and take the Eucharist as often as possible!! Oh, my…:rolleyes:

## Another who has fallen for that Babylon nonsense… ##

First he will conquer Sunday - then the world! :rotfl:

[quote=stumbler]This article is published in “The Trumpet,” the monthly house paper of the Philadelphia Church of God, of Herbert W. Armstrong lineage.

[/quote]

I must admit that if something of Herbert Armstrong lineage told me that Jesus is the Son of God I would go look in the Catechism just ot make sure.

• Liberian

I was a little upset by this. I am a person who attends Saturday evening Mass because I need to work on Sunday. Often Sunday Masses are too late to attend and still get to work on time. Bottom line we live in a secular country and for some people that means we work on Sunday or we don’t eat. I certainly hope the Pope does not do away with Saturday evening Mass.

Barbara Ann,

Saturday evening Mass will fulfill your Sunday obligation for the rest of your lifetime. This comes from the Jewish reconning of days, starting at sunset and going to sunset (i.e., starting Sunday on Saturday evening and ending on Sunday at sundown).

Have faith! The Church will never fail you!

RyanL

My local catholic church has mass at 8am and 10am

ITS TOOOOOOO EARLY IN THE MORNING FOR ME!!! :yawn:

I can’t get my a** out of bed that early! its bad enough having to get out of bed at 7 on week days!

Evanescence

[quote=Barbara Ann]I was a little upset by this. I am a person who attends Saturday evening Mass because I need to work on Sunday. Often Sunday Masses are too late to attend and still get to work on time. Bottom line we live in a secular country and for some people that means we work on Sunday or we don’t eat. I certainly hope the Pope does not do away with Saturday evening Mass.
[/quote]

Barbara Ann,

I had not thought of it from that perspective at all, and I doubt that anybody else had either. I was figuring that His Holiness meant “Folks, you have a Sunday obligation, don’t shirk it,” while I guess you thought he meant “Let’s do away with the Saturday vigil.” With you, I seriously hope that he didn’t mean the latter.

But I will stand by my earlier statement to the effect that if Herbert Armstrong gives me the time of day, I will look at my watch to make sure.

• Liberian

[quote=Gottle of Geer]## Another who has fallen for that Babylon nonsense… ##
[/quote]

Don’t be so surprised. If I remember correctly, most COGs teach that the Church is the Whore of Babylon. I never heard anything about it while I was in there. Rather, I never heard that formally preach, but it certainly doesn’t go against their theology.

[sarcasm]

Also, the Catholic Church worships on pagan holidays, they think Peter was the Rock, when he wasn’t, and there’s not really such a thing as a new covenant.

[/sarcasm]

There was a man here for a time (he is now gone) who is a member of the main group of the Worldwide Church of God. Apparently they have abandoned their worship on the Jewish Sabbath and worship on Sunday like every one else. They have abandoned their cultish(family of God, British Isrealiteism) doctrines and have become mainstream, Evangelical Christians, although they are still Protestants.

There are dozens of split away groups very tiny, who rejected the mainstreamisation of the WCG, and have formed independent organisations mostly having “church of God” in their names somewhere.

But the original WCG founded by Herbert W Armstrong is now an Evangelical Protestant denomination.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.