Pope met with Kentucky clerk Kim Davis during his US trip, according to her lawyers

cbsnews.com/live/video/lawyers-for-kim-davis-say-she-met-with-pope/

Here is a written article on it

cruxnow.com/church/2015/09/29/reports-pope-francis-met-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis/

I applaud this caring act by the Pontiff.

I am incredibly moved by that whole story. I’m sure Ms Davis had no dreams of being an international symbol when she did what she did but she so perfectly demonstrates ‘conscientious objection’.

abcnews.go.com/US/pope-francis-met-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-lawyers/story?id=34132136

Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis, who refused to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, privately met with Pope Francis during his historic trip to the U.S., according to her legal team.

Davis and her husband Joe met with the pope at the Vatican Embassy in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 24, according to a statement from the Liberty Counsel.

Neither the Vatican nor the Apostolic Nunciature in Washington, D.C., have commented on the statement from Davis’ legal team… >

The Secret Meeting of the Papal Trip

insidethevatican.com/news/letter-38-2015-kim-and-francis

On Thursday, September 24, in the afternoon after his historic address to Congress, just a few minutes before flying to New York City, Pope Francis received, spoke with, and embraced Kim Davis — the Kentucky County Clerk who was jailed in early September for refusing to sign the marriage licenses of homosexual couples who wished to have their civil marriages certified by the state of Kentucky.

Also present was Kim’s husband, Joe Davis.

Kim and her husband had come to Washington for another purpose — Kim was to receive a “Cost of Discipleship” award on Friday, September 25, from The Family Research Council at the Omni Shoreham Hotel.

Pope Francis entered the room.

Kim greeted him, and the two embraced.

There is no recording of this conversation, or photographs, as far as I know. But “there is not any thing secret that shall not be made manifest, nor hidden, that shall not be known and come to light.” (Luke 8:17)

Kim Davis gave me this account of the meeting shortly after it took place.

“The Pope spoke in English,” she told me. “There was no interpreter. ‘Thank you for your courage,’ Pope Francis said to me. I said, ‘Thank you, Holy Father.’ I had asked a monsignor earlier what was the proper way to greet the Pope, and whether it would be appropriate for me to embrace him, and I had been told it would be okay to hug him. So I hugged him, and he hugged me back. It was an extraordinary moment. ‘Stay strong,’ he said to me. Then he gave me a rosary as a gift, and he gave one also to my husband, Joe. I broke into tears. I was deeply moved.

“Then he said to me, ‘Please pray for me.’ And I said to him, ‘Please pray for me also, Holy Father.’ And he assured me that he would pray for me.”

Joe told Kim that he would give his rosary to her mother, who is a Catholic. And Kim then said that she would give her rosary to her father, who is also a Catholic.

Vatican sources have confirmed to me that this meeting did occur; the occurrence of this meeting is not in doubt… >

I don’t believe them. The lawyer/organization was already caught in multiple lies about a rally for Kim Davis in Peru. Would be no surprise that this is yet another fabrication brought to you by the Liberty Council.

Better than I hoped for! I hoped that he would defend her in one of his speeches in the US. He not only defended her on the plane back to Rome, he also met with her!
So refreshing after all the times the media has tried to make the Pope seem like a liberal…
:slight_smile:

Is Ms. Davis Catholic?

m a bit surprised that the Pope would visit Ms. Davis but, hey, if he did that’s a good thing.

I don’t believe this story. I think its yet another fabrication on the part of the Liberty Council just like the 100K person rally for Kim Davis in Peru that never happened.

I wonder if you are right.

It does seem a little strange.

I will say that if he did see her I will re-think my views on this lady because unlike some around here- for me- if the Pope says it or does it- it is RIGHT automatically in my mind.

I’m waiting for the pictures or the Vatican word on the visit.

Video with an interview with Kim Davis’ attorney.

cbsnews.com/news/attorney-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-met-with-pope/

I think thats the same attorney who falsely claimed that 100,000 people held a prayer rally for her in Peru and was busted making the whole thing up and then lying about it afterwards. The man has no credibility, neither does Kim Davis, and I won’t believe it unless it comes straight from the Pope’s mouth.

This “Liberty Counsel” is mentioned nowhere in the Crux article and furthermore, Inside the Vatican reports on it.

I did see the article though now, it is back to “offline” or having crashed: insidethevatican.com/news/letter-38-2015-kim-and-francis

“The pope spoke in English,” Davis told Robert Moynihan of Inside the Vatican magazine, a conservative periodical that reported the newson its website, which crashed soon afterward. “There was no interpreter.”

Davis told Moynihan that Francis said to her, “Thank you for your courage.”

“I said, ‘Thank you, Holy Father,’” Davis reportedly said. “I had asked a monsignor earlier what was the proper way to greet the pope, and whether it would be appropriate for me to embrace him, and I had been told it would be okay to hug him. So I hugged him, and he hugged me back.

“It was an extraordinary moment. ‘Stay strong,’ he said to me. Then he gave me a rosary as a gift, and he gave one also to my husband, Joe. I broke into tears. I was deeply moved.

“Then he said to me, ‘Please pray for me.’ And I said to him, ‘Please pray for me also, Holy Father.’ And he assured me that he would pray for me.”

cruxnow.com/church/2015/09/29/reports-pope-francis-met-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis/

I’ll wait for the pictures or the Vatican word.

Ah, but is that Catholic teaching? I don’t know my history of the Popes well, 2000 years or so, but I hope every one held their office to the highest standards. Perhaps history shows us different.

I’ll ask the Cubans how that is working out.

This ain’t the Renaissance. All of our Popes have been exceedingly Holy for the last 150 years at least.

I am just a wee layman. It’s not appropriate for me to question the Pope. He teaches me. I listen. I learn.

Pray, pay, and obey.

According to one reporter, Vatican sources have confirmed the visit (to him). Anyhow, have you ever known the media or lawyers to lie?

It appears that both her parents are Catholic.

The Liberty Counsel is the organization representing Kim Davis.

And?

this is the first I have heard that the Pope met with Kim Davis. I hope the story is true. what an honor!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.