'Pope' not found in the Bible?

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out on this. I tried the searching for information on this subject and couldnt find any. How can I refute this?

Thanks

The office of pope is found in the Bible (Matt 16:18). The word “pope” isn’t in the Bible, nor do Catholics claim otherwise; it’s just a customary way of saying “father,” not a biblical reference.

Try “Peter”.

Look up Protestant while you are at it.

Try “Trinity” too.

You can’t because it’s not.

You mean the patriarch of Antioch?

“Pope” is a Latin word. The NT was written primarily in Gk. and some Aramaic.

“Trinity” is not found in the Bible either. Are you looking for a word, or a concept?

In any case, the Catholic faith does not come from the Bible, so it is not relevant. :smiley:

Actually, its a Greek word.

“Trinity” is not found in the Bible either. Are you looking for a word, or a concept?

In any case, the Catholic faith does not come from the Bible, so it is not relevant. :smiley:

You might want to rethink that.

and have him show you the words:

bible
sola scriptura

and

Trinity
Incarnation
Rapture :rolleyes:
etc…

The concept of Pope is in Scripture and that is the term given it.

First, your right. The word Pope is not found in the bible. But the concept is. Pope is derived from Latin. The new testement was written in greek and Aramaic as has been said. However, when we look at the where Simon receives his name of Peter we find the basic concept of the Papcy.

Now, some protestants will give you the petros, petras argument. It would be a good argument if Jesus and Peter had been speaking Greek, but of course as Israelite’s they spoke Aramaic and the aramaic word is Cephas. So, we have Jesus saying that “you are Cephas and on this Cephas I will build my church … and I will give you the keys to the kingdom…”

There is only one other palce where the concept of keys is used, Isiaih 22 we have Shebna removed from his post by God and the post is given to Eliakim. The symbol of the office is the key to the house of David. Keys are a symbol of authority.

Trinity is also a word that you won’t find, but all christians accept the trinity. Just because the word is not in the bible the concept is.

Also, our faith is based on the bible. All of our faith is based on the bible. We just don’t stop there. We accpet as important those writings from the ancients and up to now in some cases that serve to enlighten us about the bibical theology and concepts. But we do not accpet anything that would change or contradict the bible. Our magesterium has been growing for 2000 years or more, but it has not been changing. The only change is in the depth of wisdom it contains and the knowledge it can impart. But the content never changes.

Jimly, DancNY has it right … In Isaiah, the Prime Minister derives his authority from the King [who always maintains a “Master Key” and his own authority]. This Prime Minister is given the keys of the kingdom to “open and shut” for the King when he is not present … this same authority is given to Peter witht h “keys” in Matthew …

The people refer to the Prime Minister as “Abba” because he is a Father to the people …

Abba, Father, Daddy, Papa, Patriarch, Pere, Padre … etc are all just renditions of Father … so is the term Pope

Primacy of Peter
Mt 16:18 - upon this rock (Peter) I will build my church
Mt 16;19 - give you keys of the kingdom; power to bind & loose
Lk 22:32 - Peter’s faith will strengthen his brethren
Jn 21:17 - given Christ’s flock as chief shepherd
Mk 16:7 - angel sent to announce Resurrection to Peter
Lk 24:34 - risen Jesus first appeared to Peter
Acts 1:13-26 - headed meeting which elected Matthias
Acts 2:14 - led Apostles in preaching on Pentecost
Acts 2:41 - received first converts
Acts 3:6-7 - performed first miracle after Pentecost
Acts 5:1-11 - inflicted first punishment: Ananias & Saphira
Acts 8:21 - excommunicated first heretic, Simon Magnus
Acts 10:44-46 - received revelation to admit Gentiles into Church
Acts 15:7 - led first council in Jerusalem
Acts 15:19 - pronounces first dogmatic decision
Gal 1:18 - after conversion, Paul visits chief Apostle
*Gal 2:11-14 - I opposed Cephas to his face for his hypocrisy
Peter’s name always heads list of Apostles: Mt 10;14; Mk 3:16-19; Lk 6:14-16; Acts 1:13
"Peter and his companions" Lk 9:32; Mk 16:7
Spoke for Apostles - Mt 18:21; Mk 8:29; Lk 8:45; 12:41; Jn 6:69
Peter’s name occurs 195 times, more than all the rest put together

Apostolic Succession
2 Chr 19:11 - high priest is over you in everything of Lord’s
Mal 2:7 - seek instruction from priest, he is God’s messenger
Eph 2:20 - Church built upon foundation of apostles & prophets
Eph 4:11 - God gave some as apostles, others as prophets…
1 Cor 12:28-29 - God designated in church: apostles, …
Acts 1:20 - let another take his office
Acts 1:25-26 - Matthias takes Judas’ apostolic ministry
1 Tim 3:1, 8; 5:17 - qualifications for: bishops, priests, & deacons
1Tim 4:14 - gift conferred with the laying on of hands
1Tim 5:22 - do not lay hands too readily on anyone
Acts 14:23 - they appointed presbyters in each church
2Tim 2:2 - what you heard from me entrust to faithful teachers
Titus 1:5 - appoint presbyters in every town, as I directed

And the Church [founded by Jesus, the Christ, existed before the New Testament writings and those writings grew out of the early Church and its [the Church’s] Teachings and Traditions … the Church did not spring from the New Testament …

Of course we come forth from the Hebrew people, the faith they practiced and we [as followers of Jesus had the Hebrew Writings [refered to as the Old Testament - - and their scriptures also came after their faith was practiced … springing forth from the Teachings and Traditions]…

God’s Self Revelation, through time … inspired and recorded for us :thumbsup:

This is not true. The Catholic faith is based on the person of Christ. He delivered the fullness of the Gospel to His Apostles before a word of the NT was ever written. This deposit of faith was whole and entire, and did not become deficient in some matter when some of it was committed to writing. The NT reflects the Catholic faith, because it was created out of the Sacred Teachings of Christ through the Apostles. Catholicism is based on a Person, not a book, however Holy.

This is the main difference between the Catholic faith, and Protestant faiths, which are “bible based”. They search the scriptures to find the truth, and fail to come to Him, who is Truth.

“You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that testify on my behalf. 40 Yet you refuse to come to me to have life.” John 5:39-41

Our faith is based upon the One who is Life. The Holy Scriptures reflect this faith, but are not the Source of it. Jesus is the Source.

And Bishop of Rome, Head of the Apostles! Yes, that’s who I mean.

The Pope

(Ecclesiastical Latin papa from Greek papas, a variant of pappas father, in classical Latin pappas – Juvenal, “Satires” 6:633).

The title pope, once used with far greater latitude (see below, section V), is at present employed solely to denote the Bishop of Rome, who, in virtue of his position as **successor of St. Peter, **is the chief pastor of the whole Church, the **Vicar of Christ upon earth. **

In the Western Church, however, it seems from the beginning to have been restricted to bishops (Tertullian, “De Pud.” 13).
It was apparently in the fourth century that it began to become a distinctive title of the Roman Pontiff. Pope Siricius (d. 398) seems so to use it (Ep. vi in P. L., XIII, 1164), and Ennodius of Pavia (d. 473) employs it still more clearly in this sense in a letter to Pope Symmachus (P. L., LXIII, 69).
Yet as late as the seventh century St. Gall (d. 640) addresses Desiderius of Cahors as papa (P. L., LXXXVII, 265). Gregory VII finally prescribed that it should be confined to the successors of Peter.

So basically Pope means pappa which is father which is head of the house.

And just in case someone says “Jesus said don’t call no man father”…

Matt. 23:9 - Jesus says, “call no man father.” But Protestants use this verse in an attempt to prove that it is wrong for Catholics to call priests “father.” This is an example of “eisegesis” (imposing one’s views upon a passage) as opposed to “exegesis” (drawing out the meaning of the passage from its context). In this verse, Jesus was discouraging His followers from elevating the scribes and Pharisees to the titles of “fathers” and “rabbis” because they were hypocrites. Jesus warns us not to elevate anyone to the level of our heavenly Father.

Scripture Catholic
scripturecatholic.com/the_priesthood.html

Saint Paul says

**1 Corinthians 4:15 **

For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus** I became your father **through the gospel.

Interesting idea Guanophere. Please accept my apology if I mispelled your name. that will require some thought. I’ll get back to you.

“Bible” isn’t in the Bible.

“Sola Scriptura” isn’t in the Bible and it isn’t taught in Sacred Scripture!

Mark

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.