Pope, Orthodox Patriarch look to new council at Nicea [CWN]

Pope Francis and Orthodox Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople have agreed to plan for an ecumenical council to be held in Nicea in 2025, the AsiaNews service reports. Patriarch …

More…

Momentous news!

That’s, ah, wonderful! Why so far in the future, though?

The cynics will be here in five… four… three…

-Tim-

I totally agree, that’s 11 yrs from now, I would wonder why not making it in 2016-2017

This is truly AMAZING and the Holy Spirit at work!!!

God knows we need much praying time! :smiley:

Never the less, truly wonderful!

It is the anniversary of the original Council of Nicaea.

-Tim-

Well, there will be preparatory work…lots of it…prior to the actual council. And lots of praying…:smiley:

Sorry, cold water is here. My jaw dropped when I first read it but then I looked closer. There’s no indication that it’s to be a “council,” merely a “gathering.” Could be balloons and a concert.

two… one…

The cynics have arrived. I told you they would come.

Overflow from the thread on this subject in the Eastern Catholic forum, no doubt. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable posting your comments over there, John?

-Tim-

Most likely because it will take that long to lay the proper groundwork for this to be more than a photo op. I’d imagine that the people who will be involved in this and doing the “heavy lifting” are saying “11 years? What’s the rush?”

2025 is the 1700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea held in 325.

***…a gathering in Nicaea in 2025, to celebrate together, after 17 centuries, the first truly ecumenical synod, where the Creed was first promulgated.” The Council of Nicea, held in 325, brought together over 300 bishops and approved the formula of faith now known as the Nicene Creed. ***

-Tim-

Eleven years is not so long considering the age of the church. I imagine it will take many years to set this up.

And the ecumenical Patriarch is not the Orthodox equivalent of the Pope. He speaks only for those Orthodox in communion with him. Will the other Orthodox Patriarchs be invited, such as the Patriarch of Moscow?

I have high hopes and fervent prayers for reunion of the church. I feel some compromises must be made for reunion, from both sides. If the Holy Father just demands or requests submission to himself without compromise I feel it will be dead in the water.

But if all listen to the Holy Spirit, everything should turn out wonderfully. :signofcross::byzsoc::highprayer:

:blush: Yeah, I’m sure that has something to do with the date they selected as well. I’m going to go hide under a rock now.

Nah, don’t worry. It’s still a long time. I’ll be 34 (or 35, depending on the month) by then. Some of us may die by then. I don’t blame people for wanting it sooner.

Amen!!!

The article has since been emended.

Editor’s note: An earlier version of this CWN story referred to a “council” at Nicea. The nature of the meeting described by Patriarch Bartholomew is not entirely clear, and could change in the intervening years. But it would be premature, at the least, to say that the plan is for an ecumenical council. We apologize for using a word that could be misleading in this context.

Apparently you don’t like truth. You prefer fantasy?

Although I appreciate the enthusiasm as noted there is no council planned. It’s just a joint celebration of the anniversary of the First Council of Nicea. We can all eat, drink and be merry but it’s purpose it not to discuss doctrinal issues.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.