Pope personally calls Traditional Catholic writer, says he considers it important to be criticized

*"Yes, it’s true. I received the telephone call by the Pope. It happened two weeks ago, November 1st, All Saints. …

“I was astonished, amazed, above all moved: for me, as a Catholic, that which I was experiencing was one of the most beautiful experiences in my life. But I felt the duty to remind the Pope that I, together wih Gnocchi, had expressed specific criticisms regarding his work, while I renewed my total fidelity [to him] as a son of the Church. The Pope almost did not let me finish the sentence, saying that he had understood that those criticisms had been made with love, and how important it had been for him to receive them.” [These words] “comforted me greatly.”*
Rorate Caeli
See also Catholic Culture for shorter version

Such is the humility of true greatness.

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. Holy Mary is an exception, but the general rule is as above.

I hope people don’t take this as an open invitation to disparage Pope Francis with utter impunity. :wink:

Ooookay… that’s step one: acknowledgment of the problem.

What about the other step: solve the problems addressed in the criticism?

What are the problems addressed in the criticism?

Saying he understood the criticisms were made with love is not the same as agreeing with them.

Please elucidate your concerns so that you do not marginalize yourself.

eponymousflower.blogspot.ca/2013/10/no-catholic-likes-to-criticize-pope-but.html

I haven’t read it through yet, but this link seems to be pertinent to the criticism that got him fired.

That is beautiful. Thank you. :slight_smile:

The problem was acknowledged at the very beginning of the Church. :wink:

What about the other step: solve the problems addressed in the criticism?

They will never be fully “solved” in this life.

What I mean to say was that with all his comments he has made, “Who am I to judge?”, “Proselytism is nonsense”, “restorationists and rosary-counters are pelagians”, “church is obsessed with abortion”, “Everyone has their own idea of right and wrong”, and MANY MORE have made him be loved by the wrong people. It has also confused people into trying to find out what he means by all of this.

The old, “the media misinterprets him” is quickly becoming a cop-out.

Granted, the media is, pardon my language, very retarded when it comes to telling the truth, but even a broken clock is right once in a while.

If the Current Pontiff is aware of what criticisms are directed at him, then this would be a golden opportunity to clarify himself or admit that he has not been misunderstood (the latter would be a huge nightmare)

Perhaps you would like to explain your understanding of what he has said, and in what context it was said.

The old, “the media misinterprets him” is quickly becoming a cop-out

The problem is that it’s true. Various media outlets repeatedly and intentionally misinterpret everything he says or, have headlines that are downright lies. Their misinterpretation of his comments on homosexuals was expected, but some of it’s truly bizarre.
For instance, Francis made a statement about conscience in a letter written in Italian, and yahoo news somehow interprets it as Francis giving a thumbs up to atheism.

What you failed to quote in your response is just as telling as what you quoted.
There was not disagreement with the idea that the media does a poor job.
But the following is where the controversy lies.

What I mean to say was that with all his comments he has made, “Who am I to judge?”, “Proselytism is nonsense”, “restorationists and rosary-counters are pelagians”, “church is obsessed with abortion”, “Everyone has their own idea of right and wrong”, and MANY MORE have made him be loved by the wrong people. It has also confused people into trying to find out what he means by all of this.

Many people don’t really understand what this is supposed to be all about.

There is no question about whether or not the pope is a really nice guy either. He was very wonderful to have given a phone call to that ailing critic.

The only time I asked for an explanation here though on what the pope meant, and someone left me a very nice and detailed response, I have to admit that I was more baffled after the explanation than with the pope’s words in the first place.

It is complicated, I guess.

“Loved by the wrong people?” Who is it that isn’t supposed to be allowed to love the Pope?

Hmm…let’s see…

Bill Maher, President Obama, Cenk Uygur, NARAL Pro Choice America, Human Rights Campaign, President Napolitano, even one of my favorite authors has expressed some kind admiration for him. All because they think that Francis is on the same page as they are.

I expect to be hated by these people! And they do, to some extent.

Heck, even my JPII-loving friend admits that the main reason the world likes Francis is because… he’s not like Benedict.

Love in the context it was being used is more synonymous with endorsement.
It is great that people who have had an anti-Catholic history love and endorse what the pope is saying, but it is pertinent to ask why they are doing so, and what exactly do they think about themselves that is being endorsed by the pope?

Just as a neutral example, some years back there was an Anglican bishop talking about the Resurrection in ‘modern’ terms, which is to say as something that never historically happened at all. Muslim apologists ‘loved’ him for it, as they were able to use this as proof that this is what Muslims were teaching all along, and they were glad that the Anglicans were finally starting to see the light.

Do you hold something against these folks? If so, our calling is to forgive them.

I don’t expect them to change. Ever.

I am the enemy in their eyes and likewise them to me.

They’ve made their choices. They’ve decided what’s important in their lives. They know which side of the war they are on.

The last thing any Catholic needs is to find out that their enemies praise our Holy Father because he’s not like the previous popes and that he’s acting like a “real Christian”, according to the world’s standards.

One of the few things that keeps me sane about Francis is that I hope he has a similar experience that Pius IX went through in 1848. Only then will things return to normal: The world hating the Pope and everything he stands for because he doesn’t go along with what the world believes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.