Pope Pius XII on the death of our Lord Jesus Christ

Hi all,

I was struck by these words of Pius XII while reading his encyclical, On the Mystical Body of Christ:

Paragraph 12

“As He hung upon the Cross, Christ Jesus not only appeased the justice of the Eternal Father which had been violated…”

Paragraph 30

“…it was by His blood shed on the Cross that God’s anger was averted…”

In what sense was God’s justice appeased and His anger averted by our Lord’s death on the Cross? Some Catholics on the Forum do not believe that “wrath” was poured out on Jesus on the Cross in atonement for our sins, while this is a major tenet of Evangelical theology.

Gene

One approach that I have heard follows from God’s instruction in Genesis that “if you eat of the fruit of the tree in the center of the garden, you shall surely die”. Since God is perfectly loving yet also perfectly just, he offered his Son to fulfill the promise (call it “anger” if you want) and to redeem mankind with himself and offer attonement for the sins of Adam and Eve.

While I’m certainly no theologian, it sounds logical to me. I’m sure others have more lucid explanations than mine.

Hello Gene,

God cannot lie. God’s Word stated that man will die if he eats from the tree of knowledge. Therefore man must die. Jesus dies in our place to fulfill God’s Word that we may live.

NAB GEN 2:16The LORD God gave man this order: “You are free to eat from any of the trees of the garden except the tree of knowledge of good and bad. From that tree you shall not eat: the moment you eat from it you are surely doomed to die.”

[quote=OhioBob]One approach that I have heard follows from God’s instruction in Genesis that “if you eat of the fruit of the tree in the center of the garden, you shall surely die”. Since God is perfectly loving yet also perfectly just, he offered his Son to fulfill the promise (call it “anger” if you want) and to redeem mankind with himself and offer attonement for the sins of Adam and Eve.

While I’m certainly no theologian, it sounds logical to me. I’m sure others have more lucid explanations than mine.
[/quote]

Hello OhioBob,

You beat me to the submit key.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Gene

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.