Pope prepares video message for super bowl

Houston, Texas, Feb 5, 2017 / 08:00 am (CNA/EWTN News).- As the Patriots and the Falcons gear up for Super Bowl LI, Pope Francis sent a message to both players and viewers, saying the game is an opportunity to show solidarity and build virtue.

“Great sporting events like today’s Super Bowl are highly symbolic, showing that it is possible to build a culture of encounter and a world of peace,” the Pope said in his message, published on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 5.

“By participating in sports, we are able to go beyond our own self-interest and – in a healthy way – we learn to sacrifice, to grow in fidelity and respect the rules,” he said, speaking in his native Spanish.

The pontiff voiced hope that this year’s Super Bowl may be “a sign of peace, friendship and solidarity to the world.”

Full article…

:shrug:

VATICAN CITY (AP) – Look out, Lady Gaga. The pope is joining the Super Bowl frenzy.

Pope Francis has recorded a video message that will be shown during Sunday’s Super Bowl game between the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons.

A Vatican spokesman says the message is expected to be played on the screen at NRG Stadium in Houston either before the game or during the first quarter.

In the message, the pope says he hopes the Super Bowl will be “a sign of peace, friendship and solidarity for the world.”

Francis is an avid sports fan who often speaks of how sports can bring about social change. He has previously taken to Twitter for the Olympics and soccer’s World Cup. This is his first Super Bowl message.

Link:
hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_REL_VATICAN_POPE_SUPER_BOWL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-02-05-11-42-49

You guys just can’t help yourselves can you?
I’ve seen more respect for the Pope coming from Protestants.

+1

Cool

I remember the Pope and a couple of Swiss Guards watching the Argentina vs. Switzerland soccer match during the World Cup.

What is wrong with the Pope’s words?

I’m not sure. I thought it was nice to show an interest in American sports.

I keep coming here to say something but then I delete…leaving well enough alone.
ttyl

Yet here it is. :rolleyes:
Why don’t you just enlighten us all as to what the heck is so wrong about what the Pope said.
I’m no football fan either.

I’m not a foot ball fan either but that has nothing do with this or that.

No one can usurp the words of Jesus Christ.

Jesus answered, “My kingdom does not belong to this world. " John 18:36

:confused:
Huh?

There’s two things that jumped out at me after I watched the Pope’s message:

(1) The Pope says it’s important to follow the rules.

(2) Sports symbolically represent peace.

I wonder how the Christian non-Catholics will see the whole rules following part of the message.

I also wonder, as each violent hit occurs during the game, how that will ultimately result in peace.

That’s all I thought about, and I couldn’t care less about the Super Bowl.
But apparently some here think the Pope in his words are usurping Christ.

As in football is worldly…period.
And many don’t get into it.

Then why do you care?
Why take a swipe at the Pope?

Have you ever heard of “hyperbole?”

This statement is a perfect example of it. Lots of words, little substance.

Fortunately, not everything the Pope has to say has to be deep and profound.

I am still waiting for a statement from the Pope about the Cubs winning the World Series. It should qualify as a miracle for someone. I was seeking the intercession of our late Bishop John Michael D’Arcy and my prayers were answered. Even though Bishop D’Arcy was a lifetime Red Sox fan, he had a soft spot for the Cubs. Yankee fans should probably look elsewhere.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.